What's new

Summer League Conclusions

Was anyone else impressed with Zach Lavine? His game looks like it will translate to the NBA nicely. He's virtually the same age as Exum and has performed much better statistically in the Summer League. Crazy Athletic! If they end up with him and Wiggins running the break with Rubio it will be fun to watch.

I'm really not worried about Exum. The dude hasn't played competitively for 6+ months. He's just shaking off the rust. He also needs to get in game shape.

To me, Exum has looked like a D-leaguer with a high BB IQ. He has been tentative as hell and his shot is really bad. He has shown flashes, and I know he is only 19, but he doesn't look impressive to me at all. I know it's only the summer league, but it's all we have right now. I would be less worried if he were more aggressive. I think bringing Trey to summer league was a mistake, as well since it deprived Exum of the chance to run the team, and has done little for Trey.

To me, Exum has looked like a D-leaguer with a high BB IQ. He has been tentative as hell and his shot is really bad. He has shown flashes, and I know he is only 19, but he doesn't look impressive to me at all. I know it's only the summer league, but it's all we have right now. I would be less worried if he were more aggressive. I think bringing Trey to summer league was a mistake, as well since it deprived Exum of the chance to run the team, and has done little for Trey.
I think we've learned Trey and Dante probably cannot co-exist in the backcourt. They're both lead guards. Dante needs the ball in his hands. I'd play Trey 30 mins and Dante 18 to start the season. That also allows more mins for Hood as Hayward has to play half his minutes at SG. Build Trey's value for a deadline deal.

Just saying the absence of success in one year does not necessarily equate to greatness in the next.

Keepin' it real!

And BTW, I have been one of the biggest Exum supporters but think many have unrealistic expectations this season. Burke, on the other hand...I will make no excuse for having called him out as a bad mistake since last summer.

Nobody's expecting anything unrealistic. If Exum can crossover like he usually does like "swishhh!" and gets a convert and one on occasion, I won't care for his shooting this year. I think any Jazz supporter would be thrilled to watch a more systematical basketball, teamwork, individual flashes from young players and most of all, kids who seem to have fun and enjoy each other's company while at it. It's not about the record, it's not about the shooting percentage, etc. It's about getting the fun out of it.

Just saying the absence of success in one year does not necessarily equate to greatness in the next.

Keepin' it real!

And BTW, I have been one of the biggest Exum supporters but think many have unrealistic expectations this season. Burke, on the other hand...I will make no excuse for having called him out as a bad mistake since last summer.

Nor does one year absent of success equal a mistake or future doom. You are getting Orangello level bad about Burke. He isn't the greatest but he has made strides and he is a Jazzman and young.

GO JAZZ!!

Good post. I said before SL that I wished Trey wouldn't play so Exum could run lead guard as often as possible and it proved to be a mistake to have Burke there.

If one didn't like Exum prior to the draft, Exum did nothing to prove them wrong. He played about as poorly as he could have possibly played. For all the talk ofl first step and speed, he rarely got by people, rarely got to the basket (took a ton of threes per total FGAs) and basically disappeared after the first game. He might still be great, summer league is meaningless, but he showed very little to get excited about.

I'd love to see him come out and kick *** today in the last game. Then we FIBA. Should be fun.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I know it's just summer league, but Exum showed he has great vision, good quickness, and the ability to get into the lane. What he didn't show, was the ability to play the 2, his shooting motion needs a lot of work, he has a very loose handle, the ability to play more than three minutes without being totally gassed, and he needs to learn to finish at the rim. I think he's been used to being the primary ball handler and he seemed like he stood down in the corner waving his arms in a lot of possessions. I know the Jazz are going to be patient with him, but in three years, his rookie deal will be up. He may not be ready in three years. The clock is ticking...tic, toc, tic, toc.

Zach Lavine is the same age as Exum and looked spectacular at times. A lot of teams are going to regret passing on him. His pre game dunk show is awesome.

I'll start off by saying I rate guys tough but fair. I know it's just summer league and their chemistry is next to nothing but that's not a huge "excuse" for me. Many guys have kicked *** in SL and there's no reason our guys couldn't either.

Burke looks clearly better. Way better defensively which is huge. Calmer, in control and clearly more comfortable running things. His lack of athleticism/size still concerns me but I like the development I've seen so far. His shots didn't fall but he didn't exactly have a cast of offensive studs out there with him. Overall, I'd rate him a B-/C+. Defensively, I'd give him an A- but offensively, his shooting and inability to do whatever he wants on the court vs. SL guys concerns me.

Gobert looked good. How good was he really considering the competition, I don't know. But I'd be surprised if he didn't play virtually every game he's healthy and get at least 11 minutes a game this year. To me, a lot of that will depend on Kanter and how well he buys in. Early on though, if Rudy continues to look strong in camp and in pre-season, I'm playing Gobert about 12-16 minutes a night in two 6-8 minute increments, if I'm Quin. If he plays solidly, maybe he can play more or dare I say it, supplant Kanter in the starting lineup if the latter looks lazy in defense. That doesn't mean he would be a 30 minute/night starter. But perhaps he could play as much as 24 minutes if things fall right. I doubt it though and expect more like 12-14 minutes per. Overall, I'd give him a B+. He still needs to go up quickly and aggressively as soon as he gets that ball within three feet of the rim. He's too long not to. His free throw shooting is also obviously a concern but his form is very good imo which leaves me hopeful.

I'm crazy about Hood. Admittedly, I have no idea how he did on defense in the SL. My eyes tend to wander. But offensively, he was our best player imo. The game two 7/10 was scary. But so was his obvious ability to drive to the hoop and score from within seven feet in multiple ways. I was impressed. I said in another thread that the way he drives, stops at about seven feet out, pivots, and makes a move (he has a few different ones), all so quickly and confidently, reminds me a ton of Richard Hamilton. Different sizes and physiques, yes, but that hard plant, pivot, spin move is almost identical to Rip. I know the league's going against this but I'd actually love to see us march out a big lineup of Exum, Hood, Novak, Booker, Gobert some this year. Overall, I'd rate Hood an A- and I only say an A- because I have no idea how he was on defense. Maybe he deserves higher.

And Mr. Exum. Honestly, I don't know what to think. Once we won the coin flip with Boston, I texted PKM and told him I wanted Exum (who I thought would be there) and Early. And now that we have the former, I'm excited. But his shooting worries me. Really worries me. I do have confidence that Quin, and as an extension of him, his staff, will work with the kid on his shooting (he seems too loose in his shot as if he almost flips it up imo) but right now, it's a monstrous concern to me. The form isn't Ronnie Brewer bad but Ronnie at least seemed to set up well on his shots. Exum just sort of awkwardly tosses or flips them up. I'm excited, don't get me wrong. But if this seems to be a major issue this year, we need to literally throw 1M+ at Engelland next off-season. Whatever it takes to be honest. We can't wait two or three seasons for the kid to be 21-22 to try to get an "expert" to work with him. We need someone as soon as possible. But we'll see how the season progresses. Either way, his quickness, speed, length, iq, passing, rebounding (for his position), and defensive potential has me very excited. But his shooting's a major work in progress as is his body. He's lean which wouldn't worry me so much if he seemed to absorb contact or play through it confidently. He did so at times but not often in SL. I think two to three years of consistent lifting with trainers (Grover still?) will help him a ton here but even if he gets stronger, he needs to play stronger. I'd give him a B-/C+ here just like Burke but for different reasons. His pros and cons have already been mentioned. I'd like to give him a B because he hasn't played so much lately from what we know but man, his shooting from everywhere on the court (FT included), conditioning, and semi-lack of physicality/aggressiveness to a lesser degree are all concerns. Again, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but against SL guys, he should've had more "moments."

1 - Exum is a great passer. Smart, high IQ, knows what's going on the court.

2 - Exum will only get 15-20 minutes next year. His body, stamina and shooting aren't ready for the NBA.

3 - Jazz fans will whine about Exum for the next two years. Year 3, he will be an All Star.

Jazz fans will whine about Exum for the next two years. Year 3, he will be an All Star.

Whoooaa, I'm glad the Jazz are going to be patient with Exum. The fans need to be patient also. He is not ready for major minutes next year and may not be ready in year two or three.

My takeaways:
1. Team has good cohesion, a foundation for chemistry. Seemed even better than regular season games last year. When Gobert got poked below the eye, four guys were around him showing genuine concern.
2. Good effort on the defensive end, Quin's showing he is a leader (versus Ty who said the same thing and got little response). All this despite questionable conditioning.
3. Dante trying hard to prove himself defensively, with nice effort, showed himself to be in poor shape. This effected his shot and his general sloppiness. Seemed to be gasping for air. Optimistic that as he gets into shape at 5,000 feet above sea level this will go away.
4. Gobert needs to translate aggressiveness on the defensive end to the offensive end. Often lacks confidence to make a definitive move to the basket and winds up with a weird finesse shot. Needs to learn to be a beast on both ends.
4. At times, Erik Murphy shows some grit and toughness, a surprise to me.

My takeaways:
1. Team has good cohesion, a foundation for chemistry. Seemed even better than regular season games last year. When Gobert got poked below the eye, four guys were around him showing genuine concern.
2. Good effort on the defensive end, Quin's showing he is a leader (versus Ty who said the same thing and got little response). All this despite questionable conditioning.
3. Dante trying hard to prove himself defensively, with nice effort, showed himself to be in poor shape. This effected his shot and his general sloppiness. Seemed to be gasping for air. Optimistic that as he gets into shape at 5,000 feet above sea level this will go away.
4. Gobert needs to translate aggressiveness on the defensive end to the offensive end. Often lacks confidence to make a definitive move to the basket and winds up with a weird finesse shot. Needs to learn to be a beast on both ends.
4. At times, Erik Murphy shows some grit and toughness, a surprise to me.

Based on Summer League I think if I were the GM all the non guaranteed guys would be gone and I would go shopping for some better scrubs. I'm truly worried about Burke and Exum's shooting. They can't throw it in the ocean right now. I think Hood will be great in some games and not a factor in others. Gobert needs time on the floor to get better. Watching the games I thought Brock Motum was hideous. Then I look at the box score and he is getting points and rebounds and then I looked him up and discovered he lead the Pac 12 in scoring and rebounding his senior year so there is some skill there. Perhaps he could eventually be liked the Spurs big reserve Aussie.

Do we play tonight? Some say we do and its on NBA Tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll start off by saying I rate guys tough but fair. I know it's just summer league and their chemistry is next to nothing but that's not a huge "excuse" for me. Many guys have kicked *** in SL and there's no reason our guys couldn't either.

Burke looks clearly better. Way better defensively which is huge. Calmer, in control and clearly more comfortable running things. His lack of athleticism/size still concerns me but I like the development I've seen so far. His shots didn't fall but he didn't exactly have a cast of offensive studs out there with him. Overall, I'd rate him a B-/C+. Defensively, I'd give him an A- but offensively, his shooting and inability to do whatever he wants on the court vs. SL guys concerns me.

Gobert looked good. How good was he really considering the competition, I don't know. But I'd be surprised if he didn't play virtually every game he's healthy and get at least 11 minutes a game this year. To me, a lot of that will depend on Kanter and how well he buys in. Early on though, if Rudy continues to look strong in camp and in pre-season, I'm playing Gobert about 12-16 minutes a night in two 6-8 minute increments, if I'm Quin. If he plays solidly, maybe he can play more or dare I say it, supplant Kanter in the starting lineup if the latter looks lazy in defense. That doesn't mean he would be a 30 minute/night starter. But perhaps he could play as much as 24 minutes if things fall right. I doubt it though and expect more like 12-14 minutes per. Overall, I'd give him a B+. He still needs to go up quickly and aggressively as soon as he gets that ball within three feet of the rim. He's too long not to. His free throw shooting is also obviously a concern but his form is very good imo which leaves me hopeful.

I'm crazy about Hood. Admittedly, I have no idea how he did on defense in the SL. My eyes tend to wander. But offensively, he was our best player imo. The game two 7/10 was scary. But so was his obvious ability to drive to the hoop and score from within seven feet in multiple ways. I was impressed. I said in another thread that the way he drives, stops at about seven feet out, pivots, and makes a move (he has a few different ones), all so quickly and confidently, reminds me a ton of Richard Hamilton. Different sizes and physiques, yes, but that hard plant, pivot, spin move is almost identical to Rip. I know the league's going against this but I'd actually love to see us march out a big lineup of Exum, Hood, Novak, Booker, Gobert some this year. Overall, I'd rate Hood an A- and I only say an A- because I have no idea how he was on defense. Maybe he deserves higher.

And Mr. Exum. Honestly, I don't know what to think. Once we won the coin flip with Boston, I texted PKM and told him I wanted Exum (who I thought would be there) and Early. And now that we have the former, I'm excited. But his shooting worries me. Really worries me. I do have confidence that Quin, and as an extension of him, his staff, will work with the kid on his shooting (he seems too loose in his shot as if he almost flips it up imo) but right now, it's a monstrous concern to me. The form isn't Ronnie Brewer bad but Ronnie at least seemed to set up well on his shots. Exum just sort of awkwardly tosses or flips them up. I'm excited, don't get me wrong. But if this seems to be a major issue this year, we need to literally throw 1M+ at Engelland next off-season. Whatever it takes to be honest. We can't wait two or three seasons for the kid to be 21-22 to try to get an "expert" to work with him. We need someone as soon as possible. But we'll see how the season progresses. Either way, his quickness, speed, length, iq, passing, rebounding (for his position), and defensive potential has me very excited. But his shooting's a major work in progress as is his body. He's lean which wouldn't worry me so much if he seemed to absorb contact or play through it confidently. He did so at times but not often in SL. I think two to three years of consistent lifting with trainers (Grover still?) will help him a ton here but even if he gets stronger, he needs to play stronger. I'd give him a B-/C+ here just like Burke but for different reasons. His pros and cons have already been mentioned. I'd like to give him a B because he hasn't played so much lately from what we know but man, his shooting from everywhere on the court (FT included), conditioning, and semi-lack of physicality/aggressiveness to a lesser degree are all concerns. Again, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but against SL guys, he should've had more "moments."
Pretty kind with trey and dantes.

Honestly think dante should get a D or F...... that is if we are just going off how he played and not using the excuses of age/experience. He couldnt have played any worse.

I think trey should be a C- or D+. I guess maybe im too hard on him but i feel like since he played a couple of big time college years and has a year of starting in the nba (albeit for a tanking team with a poor coach) he should be one of the best players in summer league and in the running for mvp.

If he is going to shoot as much as he has then he should be averaging way more points. I dont think he ran the team all that well (freezing out exum is not good leadership imo) either.
He also had too many turnovers.

I agree that his defense was much improved though.

I liked your grades for rudy and hood.

Hood was our best player and rudy a close second. Trey and dante (the 2 players we probably thought would perform best) were far behind those two

My takeaways:
I like these

anyone gonna be at the game today? I will be there and planning on seating right behind jazz's bench

I hate to write this, but Brock Motum played better defense in this years SL than Kanter did last SL. I can see him making the team and coming in as an energy guy.

Can SOMEBODY tell me Jazz@Blazers game is on NBA tv or not??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's just summer league, but Exum showed he has great vision, good quickness, and the ability to get into the lane. What he didn't show, was the ability to play the 2, his shooting motion needs a lot of work, he has a very loose handle, the ability to play more than three minutes without being totally gassed, and he needs to learn to finish at the rim. I think he's been used to being the primary ball handler and he seemed like he stood down in the corner waving his arms in a lot of possessions. I know the Jazz are going to be patient with him, but in three years, his rookie deal will be up. He may not be ready in three years. The clock is ticking...tic, toc, tic, toc.

Zach Lavine is the same age as Exum and looked spectacular at times. A lot of teams are going to regret passing on him. His pre game dunk show is awesome.

lavine is a better shooter and plays above the rim. that translates to a better SL.