What's new

Summer League Conclusions

I hate to write this, but Brock Motum played better defense in this years SL than Kanter did last SL. I can see him making the team and coming in as an energy guy.

Hope he like Idaho. I'm not going to disagree with you on this one. Can see both him and Malcolm Thompson sticking in some role. I'm hoping that World Cup play encourages the Jazz to bring over Tomic and Neto. Think both those guys are ready to contribute and worth investing the time and money in.

Last time I checked the forums was after the first summer league game. In those ancient times, everyone was claiming that Exum was a combination of Kobe, Magic, and Jordan, only better. Now, he's a d-league level player with little chance to ever amount to anything.

I sometimes miss JF. :)

And BTW, I have been one of the biggest Exum supporters but think many have unrealistic expectations this season. Burke, on the other hand...I will make no excuse for having called him out as a bad mistake since last summer.

Yep.

Can SOMEBODY tell me Jazz@Blazers game is on NBA tv or not??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No i can not tell you

I can't imagine conditioning will take all that long. If he works hard on his conditiioning, and I don't know why he wouldn't, he should be ready to go by the start of the season.

According to The Starters and Bleacher Report, game is not on NBA tv. smd...

They didn't air :30 games and ours is 6:30PT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Booooo!

Trust me, It's not enjoyable to dig for links at 3:30 AM

Booooooooo

Last edited:
Nor does one year absent of success equal a mistake or future doom. You are getting Orangello level bad about Burke. He isn't the greatest but he has made strides and he is a Jazzman and young.

GO JAZZ!!
Well, one full year and another summer league. I will admit his 30%/14% as a sophomore in summer league is much better than last. Why, at his rate of improvement, he may actually look like an NBA-ready shooter by 2020!

I just see two lead guards who can't play together in the backcourt. Which one do you keep as the PGOTF: the one who will always be short and slow and has not shown any promise as a shooter, or the one with lightning quick speed, great BBIQ and instincts (by what we hear from the GM and coach) who is extremely tall for the position and fast enough to be a good defender?

I can't imagine conditioning will take all that long. If he works hard on his conditiioning, and I don't know why he wouldn't, he should be ready to go by the start of the season.

A. Quin Snyder wants to play at a faster pace than the Jazz have in years.
B. This team is young and has the legs to run the floor.
C. Dante Exum is fast, fast, fast. Once he gets his conditioning down he's going to be fun to watch.
D. The Jazz have one of the best home court advantages with the high altitude. It's about damn time that they start using it.
E. Exum, Hood, Booker and Novak will all likely need some time to get acclimated. Once they do though, the Jazz should be able to run many of their opponents right out of the arena.

Last edited:
A. Quin Snyder wants to play at a faster pace than the Jazz have in years.
B. This team is young and has the legs to run the floor.
C. Dante Exum is fast, fast, fast. Once he gets his conditioning down he's going to be fun to watch.
D. The Jazz have one of the best home court advantages with the high altitude. It's about damn time that they start using it.
E. Exum, Hood, Booker and Novak will all likely need some time to get acclimated. Once they do though, they're going to be able to run many of their opponents right out of the arena.

Remember how out of shape Memo was when he came over? And he had been a sub in the league. Snyder's offense takes a lot of energy. It's not just asking a lot of players to stand around while Big Al or Gordon try to do their thing. This is another reason the Jazz have added some good players to the team. I don't think we'll see guys average 35-38 minutes. I'll bet the top players are around 30 at most and substitutions will be done earlier and more often.

I just see two lead guards who can't play together in the backcourt. Which one do you keep as the PGOTF: the one who will always be short and slow and has not shown any promise as a shooter, or the one with lightning quick speed, great BBIQ and instincts (by what we hear from the GM and coach) who is extremely tall for the position and fast enough to be a good defender?

Neither shoots the ball well. If you give that advantage to Burke it is only a slight advantage.

At this point it make more sense to try and develop a player that has clear advantages over their opponents.

Remember how out of shape Memo was when he came over? And he had been a sub in the league. Snyder's offense takes a lot of energy. It's not just asking a lot of players to stand around while Big Al or Gordon try to do their thing. This is another reason the Jazz have added some good players to the team. I don't think we'll see guys average 35-38 minutes. I'll bet the top players are around 30 at most and substitutions will be done earlier and more often.
Their depth is one of the Spurs biggest strengths. Because Utah really does want to model themselves in that team-oriented manner, I can easily see more players getting quality minutes through the whole season. This will allow the team to stay fresh despite playing at a frantic pace and running despite the altitude.

One silent and probably unintentional consequence of such an approach is that less minutes per player lower the physical stress of the 82 game season. I think players will be less fatigued from that type of minute distribution and rotation, which will have a positive impact in team injuries. Most basketball injuries are stress related from repeating movements and motions over, and over again. Using more players in your rotation helps to lower those types of injuries.

My football team uses the same principles to help lower or eliminate injuries due to fatigue.