What's new

Summer League Conclusions

I think Exum's worst moments have been in 3d and 4th quarters, and his best moments have been in the first quarter. I think this is worth pointing out in light of his obviously bad conditioning and how it correlates to his level of performance. This is the easiest thing to work on and is fixable in a single pre-season training camp. His strength is another thing he needs to work on. In some moments he seemed like a kid among men trying to fight screens. His shot need serious work, as well as his left hand handle, but all those are fixable if he has the determination and will to excel and succeed(something we've heard he's actually exceptional at).

What worries me, though, is his lack of aggression. I think he was somewhat scared to get physical and he was hesitant to attack the rim. At first I thought it was unselfishness when instead of attacking he would just dish to a teammate, but in the last several games it looks more and more like he's actually avoiding the aggressive plays. I don't know if this is fixable or if he adds some strength to his frame would make him more comfortable attacking the rim and getting into the paint.

Yes I totally agree with all. Though lack of aggression might be understandable and is probably instructed by the coaching staff. You're 18, not ready physically, new to the US and playing 3 games in 4 nights, taking on tough scrubs playing for jobs. I guess it makes sense not to be aggressive.

I have no worries about Exum. None. He'll get used to the Jazz's system, the players, pace of play and where he's going to get his shots. He'll put in the work, develop his body, get his reps in and shoot better. I like that he's able to compete physically with older players, he plays pretty good defense all things considered, and his ability to see and deliver open passes in the flow of the offense looks really promising. His confidence can only go way up.

I think Exum's worst moments have been in 3d and 4th quarters, and his best moments have been in the first quarter. I think this is worth pointing out in light of his obviously bad conditioning and how it correlates to his level of performance. This is the easiest thing to work on and is fixable in a single pre-season training camp. His strength is another thing he needs to work on. In some moments he seemed like a kid among men trying to fight screens. His shot need serious work, as well as his left hand handle, but all those are fixable if he has the determination and will to excel and succeed(something we've heard he's actually exceptional at).

What worries me, though, is his lack of aggression. I think he was somewhat scared to get physical and he was hesitant to attack the rim. At first I thought it was unselfishness when instead of attacking he would just dish to a teammate, but in the last several games it looks more and more like he's actually avoiding the aggressive plays. I don't know if this is fixable or if he adds some strength to his frame would make him more comfortable attacking the rim and getting into the paint.
This is the first post from you I've ever seen, but you've got 54 rep on only 15 posts in less than a month. if only our new rookies could perform like that!

This is the first post from you I've ever seen, but you've got 54 rep on only 15 posts in less than a month. if only our new rookies could perform like that!

Rep level is different than rep power. If only our veterans - after 4 years - actually understood the game!

I think Exum will be fine in time. It was obvious that he was thinking a lot out there instead of just letting the game come to him naturally. That is to be expected in SL for most players, no matter where they are drafted, especially guards. As his playing time increases, his experience will go up and his errors and tentative nature will go down.

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's just summer league. I might suck in regular season ;)

Rep level is different than rep power. If only our veterans - after 4 years - actually understood the game!
Has Rep Level always been shown there? I can see now that I confused the two numbers, but I don't even remember seeing Rep Level before... and I'm definitely not sure what it means. Where would a 4 year vet go to get more info?

Has Rep Level always been shown there? I can see now that I confused the two numbers, but I don't even remember seeing Rep Level before... and I'm definitely not sure what it means. Where would a 4 year vet go to get more info?
It's been shown as of about a month ago.

Rep level is how many rep points you've been given. Rep power is how many points get added when you rep someone else.

I was thrilled with SL.

Gobert has obviously improved but he needs to keep that fire to continue improving and not be satisfied with what he has accomplished so far. Looked great on D, rebounding and effort.

Hood looked really good. Needs to keep his confidence and continue to focus on D. Great shot and desire to earn time.

Burke showed better leadership, offensive structure and renewed effort on D. He needs to keep that focus on D and work on his shot and shot selection.

Dante showed he has elite speed and knows how to pass the rock. He needs to work on his shot, strength and conditioning/cardio. P3 is exactly what he needs imo, they will help with his cardio and strength.