What's new

Tell me more about how this isn’t happening?

Oh ****! It's official Mitchell is going to Cleveland. He just said before the NBA he was a Cleveland fan and cheered for Kyrie! Damn, you had it way wrong bro. Maybe we should trade him now to Cleveland?

Lol

I absolutely hate to bring this thread back to the top of your feed guys.

Here’s Eric Woodyard on Louisville radio today talking about the Jazz and Donovan. Little bit of both in this interview. I find some things annoying they discussed, but as I mentioned this NY stuff will start very early and it’s a thought not just I have. Eric interview starts at 22:50 on this link:

https://omny.fm/shows/afternoondrive/the-drive-w-markennis-lukeskywalka11-hour-1-e-wood

And yes I heard Eric's perspective.

Last edited:
I just don't see any reason to worry about it right now. He's here for the near future and we have a window in front of us. If his decision really is made than there's not much we can do about it so why worry?

I just don't see any reason to worry about it right now. He's here for the near future and we have a window in front of us. If his decision really is made than there's not much we can do about it so why worry?
I'm just putting it out there on a Jazz fan forum. I think it's fine to discuss. I watch and enjoy every game. Just saying. The one dude who's doing this played for Louisville, and even worked out for the Jazz at one point. I'm just saying. I found their bringing up the fan thing annoying as can be. This summer and contract structure will tell us all we need to know about Donovan. He'll be offered the 5 year max. I'm interested to see how willing he is to not have that final year be a player option. But again, all signs point NY's way, and everyone can see it.

I'm just putting it out there on a Jazz fan forum. I think it's fine to discuss. I watch and enjoy every game. Just saying. The one dude who's doing this played for Louisville, and even worked out for the Jazz at one point. I'm just saying. I found their bringing up the fan thing annoying as can be. This summer and contract structure will tell us all we need to know about Donovan. He'll be offered the 5 year max. I'm interested to see how willing he is to not have that final year be a player option. But again, all signs point NY's way, and everyone can see it.
Cool story.

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app

Absolutely everybody in a similar situation to Donovan gets a player option on the last year. That won’t mean anything. Hell, even if he had no intention of leaving, give me a single reason why you wouldn’t want a player option.

Absolutely everybody in a similar situation to Donovan gets a player option on the last year. That won’t mean anything. Hell, even if he had no intention of leaving, give me a single reason why you wouldn’t want a player option.
Actually hardly any do, in fact not one who’s signed a max extension under the current CBA that I can think of. KAT, Booker,Simmons, Embiid, Wiggins, Murray,Jokic....want me to go on? None have 5th year options they are all straight 5 year max contracts. If he gets/demands an option on that last year it tells a lot actually. If Booker and KAT can sign 5 full year maxes in those dumpster fire losing places and he doesn’t yeah it tells plenty.

So correction.....no one has actually done what you’re saying in what will be his position this summer.

Last edited:
I’ll bite (even though I’m sure I’ll regret it). Let’s go over a few HUGE holes in the Donovan to NYN conspiracy:

- Anybody with slightly better than average eyesight can see the passion, camaraderie, and genuine love this Utah Jazz team has for each other. Not only that, they’re currently staring down the barrel of a long playoff run. His thoughts are nowhere else at the moment. You can already tell that Donovan’s DNA is centered around needing to win. He’ll get his money in any NBA City, but it won’t matter to him unless he’s got a legit shot at winning.

- Speaking of winning, all NYC connections aside, do we really think Donovan is in any hurry to play for the worst owner in the NBA, who fields a hapless team year after year and gets turned down by every marquee free agent? KD and Kyrie are bigger spotlight chasers than DM and neither of them could bring themselves to sign with the Knicks.

- The Knick’s “mystique” is one of the biggest farces in all of sports. They’ve won 2 titles in 70 and 73, were putrid in the 80’s until they won the lottery and drafted Ewing, and then had some competitive teams with Pat Riley but haven’t won anything of note with any sort of consistency for nearly 50 years. Since their time in Utah, the Jazz have a better pedigree with solid, consistent ownership and the best fan base in the NBA.

- Donovan will obviously re-up for 4 years with a 5th year player option and the biggest factor after that will be the ability of the Jazz to keep him surrounded with a competitive team that has a legit shot of winning a title- something they’re currently trending towards.

- Lastly, and this might sound sacrilegious, but if the Jazz do everything right by Donovan, continue to win, and he still walks, we’ve been there before and survived. Gordon Hayward gave us the darkest day in Jazz history while all the while we already had something so much better in store and we didn’t even know it. Jazz fans that want to wring their hands about the possibility of losing Donovan 4.5 years from now are missing out on something beautiful in the here and now.

I’ll bite (even though I’m sure I’ll regret it). Let’s go over a few HUGE holes in the Donovan to NYN conspiracy:

- Anybody with slightly better than average eyesight can see the passion, camaraderie, and genuine love this Utah Jazz team has for each other. Not only that, they’re currently staring down the barrel of a long playoff run. His thoughts are nowhere else at the moment. You can already tell that Donovan’s DNA is centered around needing to win. He’ll get his money in any NBA City, but it won’t matter to him unless he’s got a legit shot at winning.

- Speaking of winning, all NYC connections aside, do we really think Donovan is in any hurry to play for the worst owner in the NBA, who fields a hapless team year after year and gets turned down by every marquee free agent? KD and Kyrie are bigger spotlight chasers than DM and neither of them could bring themselves to sign with the Knicks.

- The Knick’s “mystique” is one of the biggest farces in all of sports. They’ve won 2 titles in 70 and 73, were putrid in the 80’s until they won the lottery and drafted Ewing, and then had some competitive teams with Pat Riley but haven’t won anything of note with any sort of consistency for nearly 50 years. Since their time in Utah, the Jazz have a better pedigree with solid, consistent ownership and the best fan base in the NBA.

- Donovan will obviously re-up for 4 years with a 5th year player option and the biggest factor after that will be the ability of the Jazz to keep him surrounded with a competitive team that has a legit shot of winning a title- something they’re currently trending towards.

- Lastly, and this might sound sacrilegious, but if the Jazz do everything right by Donovan, continue to win, and he still walks, we’ve been there before and survived. Gordon Hayward gave us the darkest day in Jazz history while all the while we already had something so much better in store and we didn’t even know it. Jazz fans that want to wring their hands about the possibility of losing Donovan 4.5 years from now are missing out on something beautiful in the here and now.
Oneye found the love of his life, but he’s not able to preform because he’s too focused on how she’s going to leave him.

Fair points. My honest opinion is KD and Kyrie didn’t want the media hell-storm that comes with the Knicks. The Knicks are the Lakers and the Nets are the Clippers in NY despite which franchise is actually better. I also agree the Knicks aren’t a prestigious brand but the Garden is especially to a kid from NYC. I also agree the Jazz are a better franchise/environment/organization/ownership. We’ll see how much market size actually matters to him.

As I mentioned above, if he demands the option, which no player under the current CBA has gotten in the situation he’ll be in this summer it’s not a good sign at all. No other player signing a rookie extension has gotten that on the 5th year of their max extension. If he demands the option I would trade him before it came to that year because to me it means he wants to give him the quickest out he can.

Lastly, I’m very much enjoying the season and the few years ahead. I just think it’s okay to discuss this. Others disagree lol.

Oneye found the love of his life, but he’s not able to preform because he’s too focused on how she’s going to leave him.
It’s one thread I keep adding to man. I’ve had plenty of positive to say. I very much love every game and the current team lol.

Fair points. My honest opinion is KD and Kyrie didn’t want the media hell-storm that comes with the Knicks. The Knicks are the Lakers and the Nets are the Clippers in NY despite which franchise is actually better. I also agree the Knicks aren’t a prestigious brand but the Garden is especially to a kid from NYC. I also agree the Jazz are a better franchise/environment/organization/ownership. We’ll see how much market size actually matters to him.

As I mentioned above, if he demands the option, which no player under the current CBA has gotten in the situation he’ll be in this summer it’s not a good sign at all. No other player signing a rookie extension has gotten that on the 5th year of their max extension. If he demands the option I would trade him before it came to that year because to me it means he wants to give him the quickest out he can.

Lastly, I’m very much enjoying the season and the few years ahead. I just think it’s okay to discuss this. Others disagree lol.
Can you please find citation for the player option being an option for rookie extensions? The only thing I can find was that Kevin Love got one, and that was a long time ago.

Can you please find citation for the player option being an option for rookie extensions? The only thing I can find was that Kevin Love got one, and that was a long time ago.
The fact that no max rookie extension signed under the current NBA CBA (started in 2017)has ever had a player option on the 5th year? Yes. If it’s a player option the 5th year it’s a big red flag. If he wants to push for a player option on the last year he can do it. The reason it’s not usually is because the team usually offers the security of the extension a year earlier than the said player hits RFA. It’s leverage. You give them the 5th year of guaranteed pay but they don’t get the opt out option. Donovan won’t be a RFA until 2021 but the Jazz will sign him this summer. If he pushes enough he can get the player option, or put it off a year to get the player option for the 5th year. The Jazz will want to get it done this year so they have the leverage to have the guaranteed 5th year. If it ends up with the player option on the 5th year it’s because he asked for it or wouldn’t sign it without the quicker out. He can absolutely get the player option on the contract if he wants it bad enough and no it wouldn’t surprise me if he does. Cause he’s gone when he gets the chance. Whether he will or not depends if he’s willing to put off $175 million for a year. This summer the Jazz have the leverage. Next summer he does. So yes, if the 5th year is a player option it tells all.

No I do not buy DM’s bubbly BS he’s constantly selling.

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious. Lmao. So much panic over nothing at all. There are a few that are having fun with it, and I enjoyed reading. Thank you so much.

The fact that no max rookie extension signed under the current NBA CBA (started in 2017)has ever had a player option on the 5th year? Yes. If it’s a player option the 5th year it’s a big red flag. If he wants to push for a player option on the last year he can do it. The reason it’s not usually is because the team usually offers the security of the extension a year earlier than the said player hits RFA. It’s leverage. You give them the 5th year of guaranteed pay but they don’t get the opt out option. Donovan won’t be a RFA until 2021 but the Jazz will sign him this summer. If he pushes enough he can get the player option, or put it off a year to get the player option for the 5th year. The Jazz will want to get it done this year so they have the leverage to have the guaranteed 5th year. If it ends up with the player option on the 5th year it’s because he asked for it or wouldn’t sign it without the quicker out. He can absolutely get the player option on the contract if he wants it bad enough and no it wouldn’t surprise me if he does. Cause he’s gone when he gets the chance. Whether he will or not depends if he’s willing to put off $175 million for a year. This summer the Jazz have the leverage. Next summer he does. So yes, if the 5th year is a player option it tells all.

No I do not buy DM’s bubbly BS he’s constantly selling.
Is it actually a possibility for him to get a player option on a rookie extension? And, as I said, cite your sources. A link would be awesome.