What's new

The 2024 Election Thread - Because It's Never Too Early to Feel Disappointed

I hope Fish votes in his local elections, but unless it's Trump there's a less than 0% chance anyone other than whoever has the (R) after their name wins in Utah, so I can't blame him for not bothering. And even with Trump it's about a 0.001% chance.

Maybe toss a vote to the 3rd party you like the most I guess.

I hope Fish votes in his local elections, but unless it's Trump there's a less than 0% chance anyone other than whoever has the (R) after their name wins in Utah, so I can't blame him for not bothering. And even with Trump it's about a 0.001% chance.

Utahns loved Trump. Utah voted for Donald by greater percentages in 2020 than 2016. In 2016, he captured only 45 percent of the vote (mcmullin, a third party candidate took a piece). In 2020, he was over 58 percent of the vote. Utahns overwhelmingly voted for 4 more years of kissing up to dictators, gassing protestors, kids in cages, and covid mismanagement.

Utah, is the Alabama of the west. For all the good things the lds church does, the influence it has on politics leaves much to be desired. Voting for Trump isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of the brand of Christianity practiced in Utah.

Utahns loved Trump. Utah voted for Donald by greater percentages in 2020 than 2016. In 2016, he captured only 45 percent of the vote (mcmullin, a third party candidate took a piece). In 2020, he was over 58 percent of the vote. Utahns overwhelmingly voted for 4 more years of kissing up to dictators, gassing protestors, kids in cages, and covid mismanagement.

Utah, is the Alabama of the west. For all the good things the lds church does, the influence it has on politics leaves much to be desired. Voting for Trump isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of the brand of Christianity practiced in Utah.
But what percentage of Utah's vote went to past republican presidential candidates?

Excellent summary of the provisions…

Among the provisions:
making it a crime to spread materially false statements to voters within sixty days of an election “by any means, including by means of written, electronic, or telephonic communications,”
So if that were law, Republicans could impeach Biden for the materially false statement made within sixty days of the election of his claim that he will end COVID? Aside from this obviously not passing constitutional muster with the first amendment, am I to understand that unfulfilled campaign promises made by candidates, campaign staffs, PACs, etc., will become prosecutable?

It doesn't even say uncorrected materially false statement. Conceivably if candidate misspeaks and immediately corrects himself, he could still be prosecuted because he made the materially false statement. It also doesn't appear limited to campaign related materials so any error made by a newspaper for half a year (60 days before and 60 days after) become prosecutable.

Last edited:

"It is incredibly dangerous to support people for office who do not accept the legitimacy of the 2020 election. It suggests that they might be willing to bend or break the rules when it comes to running elections and counting votes in the future," said Rick Hasen, a professor of law and political science and co-director of the Fair Elections and Free Speech Center at the University of California, Irvine. "Someone who claims falsely that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump lacks credibility and cannot be trusted to run a fair election."

I think Pence has no shot in 2024 - who's his base? Disgruntled R's who can't get into Trumpism? Okay, but that's not enough of a winning coalition as he's not going to get I's who will always handcuff him to Trump.

If Trump dies, he's as good a successor as any.
I think he's tainted goods. Remember, they were calling for his head for Jan. 6th as many believe he could overturn the election. He's a traitor in the eyes of many and those individuals will never vote for him. There are many that want to see him executed as they're beyond repair.

It's either Trump or one of his hand-chosen acolytes to represent R's - this is the way.

This blows my mind, too. Apparently Mormons have zero discernment of honesty, truth, chastity, generosity, virtue, and serving your neighbor. They voted for the guy that's the exact opposite of those things in every respect.

But he hates that gay marriage and everyone knows the ONLY THING God cares about is gay marriage.