What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

This.

Most people do their "research" among the hordes on facebook and twitter, so yeah that's great. All the political parties care about is electability. The party itself will set the party-line, they do not care if someone is competent, just if they hit the right hot-buttons to get the vote. Hence Trump followed by Biden. Both incompetent, both hit the right hot-buttons (in Biden's case it was mostly the "I am not Trump" button of course), so both got elected. I suspect it won't get much better in the future, unfortunately. I wish we could just squash twitter and facebook and take them out of the political zeitgeist entirely.
Ya just speaking for myself here, I never voted on anything before trump arrived. Just never cared about politics. Quite the opposite. Did all i could to avoid politics. If trump never ran for office then i would not be voting in the midterms. As it is im basically just looking at how a candidate feels about trump and voting based on that alone. Hence why Mcmullen will get my vote.

Ya just speaking for myself here, I never voted on anything before trump arrived. Just never cared about politics. Quite the opposite. Did all i could to avoid politics. If trump never ran for office then i would not be voting in the midterms. As it is im basically just looking at how a candidate feels about trump and voting based on that alone. Hence why Mcmullen will get my vote.
And the Trumpers find it suspicious that there were so many more votes in 2020. They repeat it over and over that no incumbent has gotten more votes the second time and lost the election, as if that means the election was obviously rigged.

Trump energized as many people that don't like him as he did that liked him.

So you’re a single issue voter!

And the Trumpers find it suspicious that there were so many more votes in 2020. They repeat it over and over that no incumbent has gotten more votes the second time and lost the election, as if that means the election was obviously rigged.

Very true.

Yep. Lots of people went out to vote against trump.

While ignoring that Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by some 4,000,000, which IIRC was also a record loss for a minority President (though to be fair, he got a higher percentage that Lincoln's 40%).

Man…

It’s amazing that America has lasted this long…we had a good run…

View: https://twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1585030437671702528?s=46&t=kAE5mxrAWOmjgasUtBQMxA

Socrates was right, or Plato writing as Socrates, in the Republic, that democracy has pitfalls, and that its ultimate dissolution into tyranny is a likely outcome, provided we stray from the rule of law and the protections things like the constitution and bill of rights afford us. Demagoguery is more likely with an uninformed or ill-informed voting public. Aristotle warned of the same thing. And we are seeing it in action. I think we are a long way from the full dissolution of the state into a demagoguery, but closer than we have ever been before, and worse, it is accelerating, as the frog slowly boiled to death in gradually heated water. But everyone is clamoring to be in the pool and few are seeking ways to get us out.

Signs that we are moving towards the degenerative form of democracy Aristotle warned against are everywhere. Consider, for example, the impatience of some who voted for the UK to leave the European Union and believed that once the referendum result was in, Brexit should have followed immediately. The idea that the UK has legal obligations and cannot just announce its departure from the EU is taken to be obfuscation rather than a statement of the obvious.

European populist parties show the same disregard for the rule of law, arguing that nations can and should unilaterally tear up legally-binding transnational agreements if that is what the people demand. In many countries, this unimpeded democracy is proving to be disturbingly popular. Vladimir Putin’s popularity in Russia is in part because of, rather than in spite of, his disregard for the rule of law, which is seen as simply obstructing the muscular implementation of the popular will. In Hungary, Viktor Orbán’s disregard for constitutional constraints and processes is considered a source of strength. His phrase “illiberal democracy” is as good a name as any for the form of government Aristotle warned against.

Some on the hard left also have little time for the rule of law when they demand the instant denationalisation of railways or the “clamping down” on excessive corporate profits. There are ways of doing both that follow due process but many are not interested in what they see as such niceties. Yet in a functioning state, businesses, like individuals, need to be able to trust that the rules of the game will not be changed by decree overnight because a government announces that “the people” demand it.

The greatest example of the rise of degenerative democracy is, of course, Donald Trump. Trump has no concern at all for the international rule of law and often, it seems, none for the national either. His campaign promise to have Hilary Clinton locked up if he won was classic example of democratic demagoguery.

Reactions: Red
@Al-O-Meter takes the brave stand that killing cancer is homicide.
Many democrats are about to lose their seats because they treat America's children like they are a cancer rather than the future. The panel I linked earlier with the Democrat parent, Independent parent, and Republican parent really drove home how united they are on the issues most on America's mind.

America's children like they are a cancer rather than the future.
Give me a ****ing break. A clump of cells is the children of the future, yet as soon as they are out of the womb the Right says **** them kids.

Fund schools, pay teachers, help low-income households, do a million things you could do to actually help America's children. And yet they vote against all of those things unilaterally. It's such a ****ing lie that it's about the children. And you know it.

Give me a ****ing break. A clump of cells is the children of the future, yet as soon as they are out of the womb the Right says **** them kids.
That is the political left you are thinking of and pizza-gate was most likely fake although Bill Clinton on Epstein island was real.

Greene said that it was "ridiculous and wrong" for companies and lobbyists to stop donating to Republicans after the insurrection, suggesting that GOP politicians would pursue revenge after Bannon asked her whether corporations needed to "fear" a "populist House."

"Let's just put it like this," Greene responded. "You know what they did after January 6th, Steve? They stopped donating—all the lobbyists, all the big corporations stopped donating to a whole bunch of my Republican colleagues that they used to donate to. They said, 'oh no, we can't support you because of the big lie,' or whatever they want to call it."

“That's not going to be forgotten by a whole bunch of my Republican colleagues, because that was really ridiculous and wrong," she continued. "There is going to be investigations coming. And there should be, because the way corporations have conducted themselves ... I've always called it corporate communism."

Greene said that it was "ridiculous and wrong" for companies and lobbyists to stop donating to Republicans after the insurrection, suggesting that GOP politicians would pursue revenge after Bannon asked her whether corporations needed to "fear" a "populist House."

"Let's just put it like this," Greene responded. "You know what they did after January 6th, Steve? They stopped donating—all the lobbyists, all the big corporations stopped donating to a whole bunch of my Republican colleagues that they used to donate to. They said, 'oh no, we can't support you because of the big lie,' or whatever they want to call it."

“That's not going to be forgotten by a whole bunch of my Republican colleagues, because that was really ridiculous and wrong," she continued. "There is going to be investigations coming. And there should be, because the way corporations have conducted themselves ... I've always called it corporate communism."
She is the dictionary definition of ****.

Rhymes with bunt.

Reactions: Red

Is she going to send the gazpacho after them?

Meanwhile on the issues important to voters:

SF-Shoplifting-Screen-Shot.jpg