What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
True. However even for many of those people if they made better decisions, ate healthier, exercised more, paid less attention to negative things like politics, and slept better then most of those people would be happier as well. Most people dont exercise, eat like crap, dont get enough sleep, make bad financial decisions, and focus on every single negative thing in the world. Then blame their lack of happiness on something they have no control over. I get that there are exceptions though, just saying that most people have the ability to improve their lives and be happier and choose not to.
People need to belong to something they feel is bigger than themselves. As we become more educated as a people, we will continue to see a reduction in religious beliefs. That vacuum is currently being filled by political beliefs my many, which is causing more division as people cling to their beliefs like a religion. It can also lead to an unhealthy need for a workplace identity. Religious beliefs are so fascinating, as even some very intelligent people will cling to clearly identifiable flawed logic to support their beliefs. We see it more and more in politics, where reaching across the aisle has become a taboo.

Remote working, social media, and most recently, social distancing have exacerbated the situation.

We need more clubs, adult sports and other activities to help people have more healthy opportunities to belong and feel they are a part of something more.

You even see it with sports fans, and the need to refer to one's preferred team as if the fan is a part of the team (WE need to do this or WE suck, etc.).

If your political beliefs are so strong that you KNOW your position is right and others are dead wrong, you may want to self-reflect and decide if you want political beliefs to define you.

The Thriller

People need to belong to something they feel is bigger than themselves. As we become more educated as a people, we will continue to see a reduction in religious beliefs. That vacuum is currently being filled by political beliefs my many, which is causing more division as people cling to their beliefs like a religion. It can also lead to an unhealthy need for a workplace identity. Religious beliefs are so fascinating, as even some very intelligent people will cling to clearly identifiable flawed logic to support their beliefs. We see it more and more in politics, where reaching across the aisle has become a taboo.

Remote working, social media, and most recently, social distancing have exacerbated the situation.

We need more clubs, adult sports and other activities to help people have more healthy opportunities to belong and feel they are a part of something more.

You even see it with sports fans, and the need to refer to one's preferred team as if the fan is a part of the team (WE need to do this or WE suck, etc.).

If your political beliefs are so strong that you KNOW your position is right and others are dead wrong, you may want to self-reflect and decide if you want political beliefs to define you.
I agree with a lot of this.

But I also wanted to add that organized religion bears at least some responsibility for people losing interest in it. American Christianity in particular has ceased significantly in being relevant to many, especially younger people, because of decisions made by leaders and institutions. We can discuss why organized religion, especially American Christianity, has become less relevant and has even alienated many of its own congregants. But I’m not sure if right now in this thread is the time.

People are still religious. They still want spiritual experiences. But they’re not finding them in organized (Christianity) religion. We shouldn’t blame people for making the logical decision to bail on the pews on Sunday. If your church or religion isn’t having a positive influence on your life, why stick with it?

This episode was enlightening for me. People want to feel fulfilled. They want religion to provide and promote values. Which is why so many young people are joining Social and political organizations and leaving organized religions behind

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-point/id121534955?i=1000517128008

TBH, my experiences working in downtown salt lake at a few organizations that helps refugees have been far more spiritual and fulfilling than a lot of Sunday morning testimony meetings at my LDS ward. So I actually find myself a lot in what that On Point episode talks about.

Again, we can talk more extensively about this if we want. But the bottom line is, we shouldn’t just blame people for leaving organized religion behind. Leaders and institutions are failing their congregants too. People are making logical choices to leave. IMO, we need to place the spotlight on the failings of leaders and institutions, not on ex-congregants.

RandyForRubio

I promise I could buy 10 dishwashers tomorrow
I’m going to add a disclaimer first that I have not paid attention at all to any discussions going on here for a while, so if I missed something, it’s solely due to my own blessed ignorance.

Now on to the fun!

I’m a fortunate (LOL KILL ME) person who is in the process of building a house (please kill me). Purchasing appliances, among other things, was a complete nightmare.

“Hi salesman, I’d like to get this, this, and this.”

“Oh sorry you ****, we have 30 of those on back order and haven’t heard anything on when they think they’ll be available. The other one we have one in a warehouse somewhere, so we might be able to get it, but be warned we haven’t been able to get any parts on those models in months.”

Now I was fortunate in that American companies haven’t been hit as hard as some others in supply chain issues, and those are some of the products I wanted (Blue Star oven, Speed Queen washer). But I’ve also had to replace appliances where I currently am, and if you’re in need of immediate need, you’re screwed. Not in that you can’t find anything at all, but screwed in that most likely what you want is not available. And it really sucks to spend that much money on a crucial appliance and not get exactly what you want. So yeah, maybe you could buy 10 dishwashers tomorrow, but you there’s more than a decent chance you couldn’t buy what you want tomorrow.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I’m going to add a disclaimer first that I have not paid attention at all to any discussions going on here for a while, so if I missed something, it’s solely due to my own blessed ignorance.

Now on to the fun!

I’m a fortunate (LOL KILL ME) person who is in the process of building a house (please kill me). Purchasing appliances, among other things, was a complete nightmare.

“Hi salesman, I’d like to get this, this, and this.”

“Oh sorry you ****, we have 30 of those on back order and haven’t heard anything on when they think they’ll be available. The other one we have one in a warehouse somewhere, so we might be able to get it, but be warned we haven’t been able to get any parts on those models in months.”

Now I was fortunate in that American companies haven’t been hit as hard as some others in supply chain issues, and those are some of the products I wanted (Blue Star oven, Speed Queen washer). But I’ve also had to replace appliances where I currently am, and if you’re in need of immediate need, you’re screwed. Not in that you can’t find anything at all, but screwed in that most likely what you want is not available. And it really sucks to spend that much money on a crucial appliance and not get exactly what you want. So yeah, maybe you could buy 10 dishwashers tomorrow, but you there’s more than a decent chance you couldn’t buy what you want tomorrow.

Agree with all of this. And i wouldnt lay all of these issues on who the president is either.

My CPAP broke in early april and i found a new one i liked for about $600 (not bad really) and ordered it online. Kept waiting for a shipping email. Called the company to ask when it would ship. They said they have no idea (there is a huge issue with CPAP machines because phillips, who is the largest producer, had an incredibly massive recall).
Lucky for me i found a different company that had some in stock and cancelled my original order and bought from the company that had them in stock.
Went about a month without my CPAP and wasnt getting goos sleep.
So glad to have my new one (its better than my previous one that was like 10 years old.)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

RandyForRubio

Agree with all of this. And i wouldnt lay all of these issues on who the president is either.

My CPAP broke in early april and i found a new one i liked for about $600 (not bad really) and ordered it online. Kept waiting for a shipping email. Called the company to ask when it would ship. They said they have no idea (there is a huge issue with CPAP machines because phillips, who is the largest producer, had an incredibly massive recall).
Lucky for me i found a different company that had some in stock and cancelled my original order and bought from the company that had them in stock.
Went about a month without my CPAP and wasnt getting goos sleep.
So glad to have my new one (its better than my previous one that was like 10 years old.)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Fwiw, I’m not putting all the blame on any one person or party. I think there are certain things that might have helped a little, but in general, we’re just in a ****** situation that most likely will take a couple years to fix.

The Thriller

It’s weird that the forced birth crowd that cheered kids in cages and was super excited over Roe being overturned is now angry that immigrant babies are getting baby formula.

It’s almost like it’s never been about life or making the world a better place…

RandyForRubio

It’s weird that the forced birth crowd that cheered kids in cages and was super excited over Roe being overturned is now angry that immigrant babies are getting baby formula.

It’s almost like it’s never been about life or making the world a better place…
The frustration is in people who are here illegally taking precedent over those who are here legally. I don’t think anybody wants those babies to starve, but at the same time, they shouldn’t be the United States problem. Had the borders been enforced like they should, it wouldn’t be a problem. Basically, this was all preventable, but yet, it wasn’t. Surely even you can see how that’s frustrating.

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
The frustration is in people who are here illegally taking precedent over those who are here legally. I don’t think anybody wants those babies to starve, but at the same time, they shouldn’t be the United States problem. Had the borders been enforced like they should, it wouldn’t be a problem. Basically, this was all preventable, but yet, it wasn’t. Surely even you can see how that’s frustrating.
What do you mean by "Had the boarders been enforced like they should..."?

I think the southern boarder is a very complicated issue and there are going to be people there trying to get into the United States. Some will cross illegally. Some will do so seeking asylum.

What does enforcing the boarder the way they should be look like?

RandyForRubio

What do you mean by "Had the boarders been enforced like they should..."?

I think the southern boarder is a very complicated issue and there are going to be people there trying to get into the United States. Some will cross illegally. Some will do so seeking asylum.

What does enforcing the boarder the way they should be look like?
The number of people crossing the border illegally has increased dramatically, while it seems like the number of people enforcing the border has either stayed stagnant or decreased.