What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Being blocked gives you the option to read posters occasionally, and you didn't start off on his block list.
What one has the ability to do and what Thriller does are different things. There is no way he reads what I write. He doesn't even pay attention to people like Red and LogGrad as evidence by his reposting the Eric Greitens RINO hunting advertisement and asking if anyone had seen it. Thriller's world of information consists of the hottest takes on Twitter about Op/Eds biased hard enough to gain traction in a saturated market. What he thinks is reality is a filter of a filter of a filter. He may be a nice person and I certainly wish him no ill will but he is miles from being the type of person who would go to the lengths you say are available to him.

Many Hispanic people, possibly the majority of them(?), are "white." They are also generally very conservative. If the Republicans had a halfway humane stance on immigration, which could still be protective and stringent and even kind of nationalistic, they'd have an absolute slam dunk on their hands with the Hispanic community. Many Hispanic people are holding their nose and supporting Republicans.
Maybe. I can only relay what I see in my circle, and as for being "white" I don't even know what the word refers to any longer. No one where I live is breaking out skin color charts and neighbors are neighbors. If anything, where a person lives now is far more judged than ethnicity.

Maybe. I can only relay what I see in my circle, and as for being "white" I don't even know what the word refers to any longer. No one where I live is breaking out skin color charts and neighbors are neighbors. If anything, where a person lives now is far more judged than ethnicity.
Yeah, once the Italians were let in the "white" club it was basically no holds barred.

This describes some posters on this board perfectly. They can’t admit that trump has been awful. They can’t admit that he’s a threat to our democracy. They just can’t allow people they hate to have been right about Trump. So they rapid fire a bunch of paranoid nonsense hoping that something sticks and that the subject will be changed from Trump to “something else.” Drag queens story hour, CRT, Hillary, Hunter’s laptop, Biden’s bike, inflation, gas, etc.

They make threats to elected officials like Kinzinger. They make absurd arguments justifying their ugliness and hatred of fellow Americans by accusing “the left” of things they’re currently doing. A great example of this was Chris Christie today claiming that Hillary didn’t believe Trump won in 2016. She conceded on election night yet we’re still waiting for Trump to actually concede. They more they protest the harder they protest the guiltier they feel.

I just can’t help but wonder if all the hate they’re taking out on LGBTs isn’t honestly in part due to the hatred they have of themselves? Deep down inside they know that supporting Trump was wrong. But they can’t admit that so now they have decided to make LGBTs their scapegoats.
8CCA1ACD-FB8A-4B3F-AE43-01E02EE6A2B4.png
1B84621D-20DE-4C79-A7CB-79ED8F53695A.png

Last edited:
They can’t admit that trump has been awful. They can’t admit that he’s a threat to our democracy. They just can’t allow people they hate to have been right about Trump.
As I mentioned to you privately, I have a highly intelligent, majored in philosophy, (gotta like the world of the mind to major in philosophy, my kind of guy), close friend, who apparently has been ensnared by the Trump cult of personality.

So we stay away from politics. Wouldn’t you know, the Mrs. let slip the word “Trump” when we bumped into him at a local park last week. The two of us were off to the races. He left, screaming at me, at the top of his lungs: “Donald Trump was the greatest president in history!!”.

I have thought about this incident a great deal. Is my friend “in danger” of hating me? Yes, he is, and I ask myself why? I believe he admires me and considers me an intelligent individual. The anger towards me is precisely because he understands, in the moment, if only below the surface of his conscious mind, that I am in fact reasonably intelligent, and having an opposite opinion of Trump threatens his opinion/beliefs, and he does not want to go there. I become a symbol of the people he hates, and he certainly does not want to hate me. I am a good friend, and have been for years. So he walks away, screaming and angry, and his day is soured.

But I was also raising my voice to him last week. It does distress me to see a friend not realize he has enrolled in a cult. But I am not in danger of hating him. I have voted Republican in many past races. Just not any presidential race.

I do believe, although I would apply this observation only to those truly ensconced in the Cult of Trump, that they embrace and support Trump because he has made it quite clear that he hates the people they hate. I believe a lot of his most close minded supporters are in that position. Trump hates those Americans that they themselves hate. Or fear.

When people are in that position, rapprochement is perhaps at its most difficult.
It seems like all of America is in a similar position. Obviously, we are not all friends. But growing to hate “the other side” sure is not helping. If one accepts the old saw that “politics is the art of compromise”, we’re in tough shape.

they embrace and support Trump because he has made it quite clear that he hates the people they hate.
Question: Being that you said your friend was in danger of hating you, does that mean you are in danger of becoming THE people? What in your mind is it that makes someone THE people “they” hate?

Yeah, once the Italians were let in the "white" club it was basically no holds barred.
I wasn’t thinking so much of Italians as much as those of Middle Eastern ancestry. For a long time most Arabs, Persians, etc. been classified as white in the US but lately there is a movement in the community to be classified as something separate to gain minority status. The whole thing is imaginary lines people draw wherever they want to.

There is no way he reads what I write.
I see The Thriller differently than you, and I'm not interested in discussing why.

Quite frankly, that you are on fishonjazz's ignore list should be a great caution light to you. Few posters are as accepting and even-minded.

Quite frankly, that you are on fishonjazz's ignore list should be a great caution light to you. Few posters are as accepting and even-minded.
I won’t say that it has no effect but my opinions are what they are. I believe that when taken too far, “accepting” can be harmful. The single stance that likely caused me to land on the greatest number of block lists is my stance in the transgender debate.

psychguides-shutter139188881-body-dysmorphia.jpg

I see transgenderism as very much like anorexia. It is subject to social influence and it causes the afflicted to see themselves in a way that is not biological reality. An anorexic will see themselves as fat as they starve themselves to death. It is very real to them. Affirming ‘their truth’ by exclaiming “oh gawd yes you’re fat” and “I can barely stand to look at you fatso” and “you keep going like that and the world will run out of food” is not helpful. When an anorexic person starves themselves to death, it isn’t because the world wasn’t accepting enough of ‘their truth’. I believe they died because of too much acceptance.

I’m not one to tell people how to live their lives. I know people are in situations that I cannot fathom, but the parallels between transgenderism and anorexia are not a thing I can pretend I don’t see even if that lands me on a large number of block lists. I will continue to oppose things that could add to the social aspect causing an ever greater number of impressionable children toward that statistically destructive path.
Trans.gif

Last edited:
... even if that lands me on a large number of block lists.
How do you know what landed you on any particular block list?

I will continue to oppose things that could add to the social aspect causing an ever greater number of impressionable children toward that statistically destructive path.
I will continue to oppose your egregious misuse of statistics to defend your position.

Question: Being that you said your friend was in danger of hating you, does that mean you are in danger of becoming THE people? What in your mind is it that makes someone THE people “they” hate?
I most likely misspoke, as he is really not likely to hate me any more than I am ever likely to hate him. The more likely outcome is he will not speak to me for awhile. This happened just one other time, just before the 2016 election. We stayed out of each other’s hair for awhile, and when time had passed, we share too many associations and hobbies for the breach to last forever, he apologized for what he had said to me, I accepted his apology, and we entered into an unspoken agreement not to bring up politics again.

Last week, we slipped. It’s a shame, but it’s a microcosm of our society at this time. That’s worrisome. And we all know this. We all know our country is in very deep trouble right now. And I am not talking about inflation. Or gas prices. Or the heat waves and fires. Or the war in Ukraine. I’m talking about the Great Divide. That trouble. That most fundamental of troubles.

As for myself, I’m not in danger of becoming anyone other than who I am. I’m not understanding your question that well at all, honestly. I know who I am, and I cannot have full control over how someone else sees me, or interprets me. They filter their own impressions through their own mind and emotions, not through mine. My friend can create a false interpretation of me, in his own mind, a misguided understanding on his part, based off his own decision to allow himself to be ensnared in a cult. He can see me as a Trump cultist would see me. With blinders firmly in place. He tells me I am wrong, very wrong, that Trump is greatness personified. OK, well, that’s one tough wall for me to topple, and I’d be foolish to try. Making flareups like last week something to be avoided.

I suspect, in general, not specific to me and a friend, that each side likely sees the other side as a caricature, which is a stumbling block to understanding. I don’t hate Trump supporters. They are misguided, and don’t realize it. I gain nothing by hating them. I see America fell victim to a right wing populist. The MAGA cult members were the victims of this populist. Not that they are not responsible for their own decisions, but I prefer to see them as misguided, uninformed, and frankly, deceived.

I prefer to see them as misguided, uninformed, and frankly, deceived.
The secret is that every person on earth is misguided, uninformed, and frankly, deceived. That is what it is to be a human. If you believe those things to be exclusive to people who voted for the presidential candidate you didn’t choose, then I’d say you are being very human. Omniscience isn't in the cards for any one of us.

As far as your friend being swept up in a cult, that is true if you go by the definition of a cult being “a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing”. That too is human. It is said to never meet your heroes because the admiration you have for them is nearly always excessive.

I know you think Trump is a special case, but he’s just a guy you’ll never meet and who has next to no impact on your life outside of being the subject of an awful lot of media you take in. It would be a shame to lose friends and family over but I know a lot of Americans disagree with me.

How do you know what landed you on any particular block list?
For me what landed him on my ignore list was a build up that culminated in his cavalier attitude in regards to jan 6th. His stance was/is basically who care what the protesters did as long as the final result was biden sworn into office? Like what if the protesters killed 100 people but biden was still sworn into office? Would the fact that 100 people were killed not matter at all?
That complete dismissal of what happened on january 6th was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

The secret is that every person on earth is misguided, uninformed, and frankly, deceived. That is what it is to be a human.
True, but also there are degrees of each of them. Some people are ore misguided, less informed, and/or more deceived than others.

It is said to never meet your heroes because the admiration you have for them is nearly always excessive.
I also agree, and while I acknowledge people that I often agree with, I try to avoid having personal heroes.

I know you think Trump is a special case, but he’s just a guy you’ll never meet and who has next to no impact on your life outside of being the subject of an awful lot of media you take in.
Being POTUS/running for POTUS means having an impact. AFAICT, Trump is the most influential member of one of the two dominant political parties, which again means he has an impact.

For me what landed him on my ignore list was a build up that culminated in his cavalier attitude in regards to jan 6th. His stance was/is basically who care what the protesters did as long as the final result was biden sworn into office? Like what if the protesters killed 100 people but biden was still sworn into office? Would the fact that 100 people were killed not matter at all?
That complete dismissal of what happened on january 6th was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
To be clear, that was never a thing I said.

What I DID point out were the events of January 6 were ceremonial only and had nothing to do with democracy because it was the recognition of the votes of the electoral college, the body of our republic that elects the president. My position was that all of this was and is a law enforcement issue, that I supported charging everyone, and even supported bringing charges against Trump himself. I believe a court room, with full discovery, the power of subpoenas, and professional legal advocates arguing both sides is the proper venue for all of this.
I'm not at all upset over potential criminal charges being filed against the former President. There should be a full accounting with a full discovery and advocates on both sides in a proper setting.
If 100 people had died, then I’d still want to see the perpetrators tried in a courtroom with a judge, lawyers, etc. I believe that even the obviously guilty deserve a fair trial. Crazy me. I do not think our justice system should be a legislative branch committee putting on a show with the cast of Hamilton and a former ABC News executive working as a producer to package it for a prime time audience where they say at the outset they don’t plan on referring anyone to the DOJ.

My dismissiveness of the January 6th committee should not be read as being dismissive of January 6th.

This has to be grounds for a massive defamation law suit, doesn't it?

So my question is, has she filed a lawsuit against Trump, Rudy Giuliani and the Trump campaign?

If she hasn't then what the ****? If she did nothing Trump and Rudy claim she did and it caused her quantifiable damage and the claims were known or should have been known by Trump and Rudy to be false and the claims were believed by others then she has a slam dun mega-millions defamation case against Trump, his campaign and Rudy.

I'm starting to not know what the **** to believe. If she is telling the truth then she needs to be suing the **** out of Trump. Not just to get rich, but to put this on record and to put Trump on notice that he can't just throw this kind of **** around.

You’d think that this would cause some introspection on his part. But it doesn’t. Sad