What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Today’s hearing begins at 11:00 am Utah time. If you can’t watch live, make sure you record it. I’ve got my DVR set (I use YouTube TV so I get unlimited recording). Today they’re going to show how Donald tried to overthrow our democracy by intimidating and threatening state officials. Here’s the list of State election officials you’ll hear from:

Expected to appear before the panel are two GOP elections officials from Georgia, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, and Gabriel Sterling, chief operating officer for the secretary of state's office, as well as Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers, also a Republican. Wandrea ArShaye "Shaye" Moss, a former election worker from Fulton County, Georgia, will also appear.

Remember Donald’s phone call to GA Sec of State Brad Raffensberger where Donald asked him to “find” just enough votes to give him GA?

View: https://youtu.be/SdU2ZSin868
This just goes to show all the many ways donald tried to stay in power. Through lawsuits, intimidating state officials, Jan 6, voter suppression laws, and now currently trying to get as many Big Lie Republicans in charge of key state and election office positions. A vote for Republicans this fall is a vote for Trump/DeSantis in 2024. These folks are going to make sure Republicans win the White House no matter what the actual election results are.

I know paying a few extra bucks in gas is annoying, but is it worth throwing away our democracy?

Last edited:
Maybe you don't live and work in a blue collar red state world and ....
That is correct. I don't live in your world but I did spend some time growing up there including at one point a spot not too far from where you grew up just outside the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. I've lived in big cites, residential suburbs, and small towns, in rich areas and extremely poor ones. I spent some of my time growing up in schools that were almost totally white, a school that was designated the most ethnically mixed school in the nation, and as an expat in a true authoritarian nation in a very unwhite part of the world where I went to the equivalent of elementary school. I've lived in these places, not just visited, but lived. Where I choose to live now is an area that is either minority-majority or straight up majority Hispanic depending on where you are drawing the boundaries.

It is weird to me when you talk about massive groups of people as if they are a single cartoon character who has decided to go by they/them pronouns. I also wonder if news penetrates at all the bubble constructed around some of the people here, occasionally you included. I obviously recognize your tired "demographics is destiny" argument that was popular 10 years ago, but actual history has happened since then. When Glenn Youngkin beat Terry AcAuliffe to become Virginia governor, the Hispanic population was the most likely to vote for Youngkin. Florida has gone from a perpetual swing state where hanging chads made the difference, to one that is safely conservative thanks almost entirely to the Hispanic population there. Texas too is now only conservative because of the Hispanic population after white tax refugees from California strengthened the leftist voting block. Texas just had a district that had never been won by Republicans ever in history, one that is 85% Hispanic, flip to Republican. Even in California in the heavily Hispanic California Central Valley, it is solid red.

I have heard variations of your same "the political right is white supremacist and can't handle the browning of America" from LogGrad, FishOnJazz, JazzGal, Thriller and many others. Even left-leaning outlets like CNN and MSNBC have been airing segments noting the erosion of support among minority voters for the Democrats. It isn't 2008. The whole idea of the they/them melaninated American cartoon character in your head being unswayed by the train wreck the Democrats have caused does not say good things about those who continue to voice that obviously false idea.

Here is a reality check: Currently Joe Biden has lower approval on his handling of the economy than did Jimmy Carter at this same point of his presidency. A sizable chunk of those people who disapprove of Joe Biden's handling of the economy have brown skin. Deal with it. The damage being done to the democrat brand by the obviously-in-decline Joe Biden and the choices made by this democrat controlled house are going to have a long lasting electoral impact.

What's you're reaction to the Texas GOP saying Biden was illegally elected?
My response was to point out that you said it was a national party position and then you quickly moved the goal posts when you couldn't support your statement. A similar thing happened on the flip side with Stacey Abrams losing the race for Governor of Georgia a few years ago. I don't get my panties in a twist when politicians stay stupid things. I'll admit that it didn't sit well when Democratic mayor of Chicago Lori Lightfoot said the leaked SCOTUS opinion was a call to pick up guns, but things generally have to get to the level of advocating for violence to get me to sit up and take notice.

As far as moving goal posts from one post to the next, I've known you long enough to know that is just how you roll so I'm used to it by now.

I obviously recognize your tired "demographics is destiny" argument that was popular 10 years ago, but actual history has happened since then.
The Hispanic vote has always been the Republicans to claim, since they tend to be culturally Catholic, with traditional sex roles and heavily anti-abortion. It was only the naked racism of the Republican party that kept them out.

I have heard variations of your same "the political right is white supremacist and can't handle the browning of America" from LogGrad, FishOnJazz, JazzGal, Thriller and many others.
Don't forget you've aso been hearing this from the white supremacists themselves.

... the choices made by this democrat controlled house are going to have a long lasting electoral impact.
Perhaps 4 whole years.

My response was to point out that you said it was a national party position
Did I? Where?
We don't know what the national platform will look like, ...
We now have several general-election Republican candidates for Secretary of State that call the 2020 fraudulent. The Texas GOP just officially declared it fraudulent.
If you are reading posts this badly, perhaps you should take some time to look over things more carefully.

and then you quickly moved the goal posts when you couldn't support your statement.
I accept your apology in advance.

I note that you still have not offered a whiff of disapproval for the Texas GOP making the supposed illegitimacy of Biden's election part of their party platform. You can't seem to spare a single sentence condemning that, while you are accusing me of imaginary back-tracking.

Don't forget you've also been hearing this from the white supremacists themselves.
Yes I have been hearing it and it has not escaped my notice that many on this board who lean to the political left spout opinions that sounds exactly like stuff said by Richard Spencer. It is the 2020's and white supremacists like Richard Spencer are voting Democrat while large swaths of the Hispanic population are voting Conservative. I'm glad to see you've noticed it too.

Quoting me: Historically, what was the last entrenched US political party that refused to accept the vote tabulations of elections where the difference was 1% or more? If there aren't any, than we are in genuinely uncharted waters here.
In context, I thought it was clear I was referring to the actions of the SsoS (which I did mention in the comment), not the party platform (since the comment didn't mention party platforms at any level). Also, I immediately followed that with "That mean we need to keep a sharp eye out, not because there are dangerous rocks, but because we're not that sure there aren't.", indicting that we weren't actually there yet. That context should have been sufficient for anyone trying to read me for what I was saying, rather than read me for purposes of confusion, argumentation, or 'gotcha'.

I note that you still have not offered a whiff of disapproval for the Texas GOP making the supposed illegitimacy of Biden's election part of their party platform. You can't seem to spare a single sentence condemning that, while you are accusing me of imaginary back-tracking.

Yes I have been hearing it and it has not escaped my notice that many on this board who lean to the political left spout opinions that sounds exactly like stuff said by Richard Spencer.
Considering your tendency to read people in the worst way, or in the way that best suits your agenda, I believe this is true for you.

It is the 2020's and white supremacists like Richard Spencer are voting Democrat
One person voting for one candidate in one election is not a pattern.

I was referring to the actions of the SsoS
I see. Your new story is that US political party = SsoS. LOL.

giphy.gif

You must be having an off day because I have seen you pull off far more difficult retcons of your past words.

I see. Your new story is that US political party = SsoS. LOL.
That's not what I said. Is it really what you read?

That's not what I said. Is it really what you read?

Weird. It’s almost like Al isn’t a serious poster. It’s almost like he’s an immature and dishonest person lacking character and integrity. He cares more about trolling and “winning his argument” than engaging in good genuine discussion. Some people really deserve to be on the block list.

Last edited:
Al isn’t a serious poster. ... Some people really deserve to be on the block list.
The funny thing about Thriller is how low information he is. I'm blocked meaning he couldn't see a single word I wrote and yet he has an opinion on it. I almost wonder if after this next election which is likely to contain a large amount a news he won't agree with, if his curated feeds and blocks will be so effective that he'll be like a WWII Japanese soldier guarding a random island in the 1950's not knowing the war ended.

Being blocked gives you the option to read posters occasionally, and you didn't start off on his block list.
Exactly this. It's also not that difficult to follow your discussion with him. You've asked him the same question about the Texas GOP at least four times now. His refusal to answer it, is an answer. It tells you a lot about his character and maturity (or lack thereof).

It's not like we're arguing about what the appropriate income tax rates should be. We're arguing about just basics about democracy. He's pro authoritarian because he thinks his "team" will benefit by overthrowing our democracy. Which is honestly pretty deplorable.

I'm blocked meaning he couldn't see a single word I wrote
Are you really dumb enough to not realize that you can still see peoples posts when you have them on ignore?

For instance, i have you on ignore yet still read (and quoted) your post.

Edit: Just saw that one brow beat me to it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

That is correct. I don't live in your world but I did spend some time growing up there including at one point a spot not too far from where you grew up just outside the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. I've lived in big cites, residential suburbs, and small towns, in rich areas and extremely poor ones. I spent some of my time growing up in schools that were almost totally white, a school that was designated the most ethnically mixed school in the nation, and as an expat in a true authoritarian nation in a very unwhite part of the world where I went to the equivalent of elementary school. I've lived in these places, not just visited, but lived. Where I choose to live now is an area that is either minority-majority or straight up majority Hispanic depending on where you are drawing the boundaries.

It is weird to me when you talk about massive groups of people as if they are a single cartoon character who has decided to go by they/them pronouns. I also wonder if news penetrates at all the bubble constructed around some of the people here, occasionally you included. I obviously recognize your tired "demographics is destiny" argument that was popular 10 years ago, but actual history has happened since then. When Glenn Youngkin beat Terry AcAuliffe to become Virginia governor, the Hispanic population was the most likely to vote for Youngkin. Florida has gone from a perpetual swing state where hanging chads made the difference, to one that is safely conservative thanks almost entirely to the Hispanic population there. Texas too is now only conservative because of the Hispanic population after white tax refugees from California strengthened the leftist voting block. Texas just had a district that had never been won by Republicans ever in history, one that is 85% Hispanic, flip to Republican. Even in California in the heavily Hispanic California Central Valley, it is solid red.

I have heard variations of your same "the political right is white supremacist and can't handle the browning of America" from LogGrad, FishOnJazz, JazzGal, Thriller and many others. Even left-leaning outlets like CNN and MSNBC have been airing segments noting the erosion of support among minority voters for the Democrats. It isn't 2008. The whole idea of the they/them melaninated American cartoon character in your head being unswayed by the train wreck the Democrats have caused does not say good things about those who continue to voice that obviously false idea.

Here is a reality check: Currently Joe Biden has lower approval on his handling of the economy than did Jimmy Carter at this same point of his presidency. A sizable chunk of those people who disapprove of Joe Biden's handling of the economy have brown skin. Deal with it. The damage being done to the democrat brand by the obviously-in-decline Joe Biden and the choices made by this democrat controlled house are going to have a long lasting electoral impact.
Many Hispanic people, possibly the majority of them(?), are "white." They are also generally very conservative. If the Republicans had a halfway humane stance on immigration, which could still be protective and stringent and even kind of nationalistic, they'd have an absolute slam dunk on their hands with the Hispanic community. Many Hispanic people are holding their nose and supporting Republicans.