What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

So the big stumbling block is if they can decide to cut this funding on a yearly basis?

Do they support providing treatment for people who were injured as a direct result of serving their country or don't they? Why would you need easier ability to cut it if they support it?
You just highlighted the silliness of the Republican position here.

It’s pretty obvious that they’re really just opposing this as payback for the Manchin deal that was just struck. Republicans hope that low info voters who can’t be bothered to spend 3 mins to learn about this bill and tribalism will bail them out of taking just a god awful position on helping veterans.

I still contend that perhaps the next presidency should be settled with the following three events in lieu of voting:

1. Jeopardy-style quiz show - most points win one point
2. Ninja Warrior obstacle course - fastest time/furthest progress with each receiving three tries wins a point
3. (If necessary) Game of HORSE with the winner getting the presidency, loser has to retire from politics forever

I still contend that perhaps the next presidency should be settled with the following three events in lieu of voting:

1. Jeopardy-style quiz show - most points win one point
2. Ninja Warrior obstacle course - fastest time/furthest progress with each receiving three tries wins a point
3. (If necessary) Game of HORSE with the winner getting the presidency, loser has to retire from politics forever
1659373074611.png

Did you know trump endorsed Eric for attorney general in Missouri...

The former president “thought it was a thing of beauty and too goddamn funny” to endorse “Eric” in the Missouri primary and then to watch two MAGA candidates — both named “Eric” — scramble to claim his favor, according to a person familiar with the ex-president’s thoughts.

I think I angered a lot of people today. I got asked over and over and over about Pelosi going to Taiwan today. I answered it's not really news or anything to talk about as a US citizen.

Last night when it broke she was coming everyone told me she's getting shot down or something bad. I said 0 chance of anything. I am owed a lot of drinks today.

I think I angered a lot of people today. I got asked over and over and over about Pelosi going to Taiwan today. I answered it's not really news or anything to talk about as a US citizen.

Last night when it broke she was coming everyone told me she's getting shot down or something bad. I said 0 chance of anything. I am owed a lot of drinks today.
What are their general feelings about Taiwan?

What are their general feelings about Taiwan?
Generally the majority of Chinese think they should attack and take it back. They assume it's China and inevitably they will do that. I don't think that's what the central government thinks, but that's what about 90% of the citizens think from what I hear from people.

I wouldn’t say there is zero chance of anything. China badly needs a distraction of the kind that will stoke national unity. I don’t know how many here follow the Chinese economy but things are not good there as their housing market is collapsing which is threatening their entire banking sector.

Government censors have taken to shutting down any online messages or news related to protesting banks and even called in the military to break up anti-bank protests. China also locked down another million people to halt a COVID outbreak.

An external threat to direct everyone’s attention to is what Xi and the CCP needs right now politically.

I wouldn’t say there is zero chance of anything. China badly needs a distraction of the kind that will stoke national unity. I don’t know how many here follow the Chinese economy but things are not good there as their housing market is collapsing which is threatening their entire banking sector.

Government censors have taken to shutting down any online messages or news related to protesting banks and even called in the military to break up anti-bank protests. China also locked down another million people to halt a COVID outbreak.

An external threat to direct everyone’s attention to is what Xi and the CCP needs right now politically.

Great post, Al. The banking vids have been pretty crazy. Imagine armed goon squads beating the tar out of you because you want to retrieve your money or face solvency issues.

US is hardly perfect, but at least it’s not a communist nation.

There is definitely censorship of some of those things. But the bank protests were everywhere online and widely talked about. People were generally upset about it.

If you know much about China history than it's obvious why they would not be the ones to start something. But they will defend themselves. In regards to this it's a fact nothing happened like was threatened.

If you know much about China history than it's obvious why they would not be the ones to start something. But they will defend themselves. In regards to this it's a fact nothing happened like was threatened.
I am admittedly not an expert on China’s history but in the last 100 years alone the CCP has taken over Tibet and during the Great Leap Forward killed tens of millions of their own people in the name of ideology.

There is much I admire about Chinese culture but I do not get their passiveness to authority and there is nothing I find admirable about the CCP. If there is one positive there, it is that the passiveness to authority could keep the CCP from fearing it is facing an existential crisis. If there is ever a serious threat to the CCP losing power in China, with a little as the CCP seems to value the life of those they deem inconvenient, it will be time for all of us to stock up on SPF 10,000,000 sunblock.

I am admittedly not an expert on China’s history but in the last 100 years alone the CCP has taken over Tibet and during the Great Leap Forward killed tens of millions of their own people in the name of ideology.

There is much I admire about Chinese culture but I do not get their passiveness to authority and there is nothing I find admirable about the CCP. If there is one positive there, it is that the passiveness to authority could keep the CCP from fearing it is facing an existential crisis. If there is ever a serious threat to the CCP losing power in China, with a little as the CCP seems to value the life of those they deem inconvenient, it will be time for all of us to stock up on SPF 10,000,000 sunblock.
There is unspoken agreement between the people and ccp. Basically they are all willing to allow it since things have been so successful for people. But that will change quickly if there is job shortages or standard of living goes down in a noticable way.

Ccp has done plenty of terrible things. But the country was decimated and humiliated by foreign powers for a long time. China has built up a bit military and threatens all the time but they absolutely don't want a war against and major power.