The handwringing over Gobert's new contract was so overwrought.

gomretat

Speaking of handwringing; I’m in this weird place where I hope Donovan really figures it out but want him to miss an All-NBA selection cuz that raise in his salary is the difference in having a legit rotation player or not. Would be very bad for the franchise moving forward.

Just being real.

That being said, it will be hard to gripe if all of these extravagancies yield a ring.
Completely agree on Donovan. I have had the same thought but figured it was sacred ground. And if we get a ring then who cares.

KqWIN

Or they were doing what the opportunities presented at the time which is continually changing. Doesn't mean there wasn't a plan. The notion that the same front office who managed the cap with exactness for years suddenly become sloppy makes no sense. What changed was a new owner is who much more opportunistic and willing to ebb a flow and new options emerge.

In this hypothetical theory where the Jazz did what they did because they can spend all the money in the world, why did they spend so many picks to save cash? As low as 100k~ to dump Tucker. If they got the green light to spend whatever they want, they probably shouldn't have traded so many picks to save money without even getting under the tax.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
Speaking of handwringing; I’m in this weird place where I hope Donovan really figures it out but want him to miss an All-NBA selection cuz that raise in his salary is the difference in having a legit rotation player or not. Would be very bad for the franchise moving forward.

Just being real.

That being said, it will be hard to gripe if all of these extravagancies yield a ring.
If I was a team executive of another team I’d be pumping up other teams guys with these escalators in their deals... it’s weird that contracts can be changed based on how media folks vote on things. He’d likely be 3rd team all nba which is occasionally wonky and will reward winning imo. I could see it coming down to like Booker or DM. DM has been great the past month or so.

I’m fine with him getting his money... Rudy too... it’s the other salary that will end up being the issue.

framer

I'd assume that if someone told Jazz management we were good for the 1 seed this season, they would have made different decisions. I mean I don't think they were seeing that possibilty earlier this year. If you get the 1 seed you are all in.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
In this hypothetical theory where the Jazz did what they did because they can spend all the money in the world, why did they spend so many picks to save cash? As low as 100k~ to dump Tucker. If they got the green light to spend whatever they want, they probably shouldn't have traded so many picks to save money without even getting under the tax.
Bruh they changed their mind... it happens all the time... teams look to aggressively cut spending when they are right at the tax and burn seconds to do it and then change their mind to get meaningless vets... or sometimes they mess up teh maths... either way nothing to see here... we will spend into infinity. Don’t try to predict what the front office will do based on their past actions like those mean anything... today is a new day and tomorrow is an even newer day... why worry about what we did yesterday.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
I'd assume that if someone told Jazz management we were good for the 1 seed this season, they would have made different decisions. I mean I don't think they were seeing that possibilty earlier this year. If you get the 1 seed you are all in.
I really think they just messed up the tax math. Nothing they have done since the offseason screams to me that now they are all in. Maybe they had planned to move JC or Bojan or Mike during the season to duck the tax... but if they were planning that why spend the full MLE to plug your biggest weakness.

The all in moves were made in the offseason... which would have required some confidence that this is who we could be. Next offseason is the acid test... we have 25 games plus a playoff in between now and then and it may end up playing out where the next choices we make are obvious. Like win a title then bring the whole team back... guy gets hurt then maybe you cut salary. Where it gets tough is if we get beat in the second round in a tough series against a team that goes to the finals... does Ryan open up the vault or call some rich tech bros to help with the spend? Or do we have a small pivot?

Im no longer going to worry about it and am just gonna enjoy what might be the best season we have had in a long time. Might be the best season we have in the next 5-10 years too.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
If I was a team executive of another team I’d be pumping up other teams guys with these escalators in their deals... it’s weird that contracts can be changed based on how media folks vote on things. He’d likely be 3rd team all nba which is occasionally wonky and will reward winning imo. I could see it coming down to like Booker or DM. DM has been great the past month or so.

I’m fine with him getting his money... Rudy too... it’s the other salary that will end up being the issue.
To connect a few different issues we're been talking about, yesterday I was explaining to my dad Quin's tendency to Thibbs guys unless there's some big statistical accomplishment on the line. He stated that perhaps those guys have incentives in their contracts for things like triple-doubles, and perhaps Quin has an incentive in his contract to keep that from happening.

That statement may have solved the answer to the universe.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
To connect a few different issues we're been talking about, yesterday I was explaining to my dad Quin's tendency to Thibbs guys unless there's some big statistical accomplishment on the line. He stated that perhaps those guys have incentives in their contracts for things like triple-doubles, and perhaps Quin has an incentive in his contract to keep that from happening.

That statement may have solved the answer to the universe.
1617659147152.gif

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
This theory would also play to the "really shrewd business acumen" theory of the FO. This is kinda like a win-win-win theory where we can all get along.
I don't think its true at all but think its funny and we should run with it.

I think Quin is overly concerned with thinking certain other coaches in the coaches frat will think he is running up the score... I think he's also paranoid we will give away a big lead should he pull his guys too early and also one of those guys who doesn't like deviating from the game plan mid game... so he can't mess up his substitution pattern and it leads to overplaying his starters in games they have no business in playing. He did leave Rudy in to chase the 10 blocks with the Bulls.

Again, though... its a funny theory with some not-unreasonable fact patterns so let's run with it. Maybe take it a step further... like he and DL get 10% of the bonuses the players miss out on.

framer

I don't think its true at all but think its funny and we should run with it.

I think Quin is overly concerned with thinking certain other coaches in the coaches frat will think he is running up the score... I think he's also paranoid we will give away a big lead should he pull his guys too early and also one of those guys who doesn't like deviating from the game plan mid game... so he can't mess up his substitution pattern and it leads to overplaying his starters in games they have no business in playing. He did leave Rudy in to chase the 10 blocks with the Bulls.

Again, though... its a funny theory with some not-unreasonable fact patterns so let's run with it. Maybe take it a step further... like he and DL get 10% of the bonuses the players miss out on.
Yeah, I think he's doing his best not to be Steve Kerr and embarrass other teams. I also think that the Jazz rotations are still a work in progress and he will use garbage time minutes to run their stuff, especially when teams play a certain type of defense that we may see in the playoffs. Like Dallas for instance.