The handwringing over Gobert's new contract was so overwrought.

framer

Jrue Holiday agrees to 4-year, $160 million extension!!​

Are you kidding me? He's 30, and the third option on that team. If we live in a world where Milwaukee is willing to do that, it changes the calculus of what the Jazz are going to have to do going forward.

Fortunately, with the new TV contract coming up, the last three years of Rudy's deal will be a bargain for what he is giving us. This also signals that there might not be a lot of fear of the repeater tax with the new contract coming.

Saint Cy of JFC

Jrue Holiday agrees to 4-year, $160 million extension!!​

Are you kidding me? He's 30, and the third option on that team. If we live in a world where Milwaukee is willing to do that, it changes the calculus of what the Jazz are going to have to do going forward.

Fortunately, with the new TV contract coming up, the last three years of Rudy's deal will be a bargain for what he is giving us. This also signals that there might not be a lot of fear of the repeater tax with the new contract coming.
Jrue Holiday having a monster season.

People got to stop living in this fantasy land where every player gets paid the exact right amount in relation to their value to every other player. It's just not going to happen, especially with the max contract rules in place.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner

People got to stop living in this fantasy land where every player gets paid the exact right amount in relation to their value to every other player. It's just not going to happen, especially with the max contract rules in place.
Exactly. People get paid what the market will bear. We didn't want to lose Mitchell so we paid him enough so he didn't feel he needed to try the market. Same happened with holiday. That's just the way it works.

framer

Bucks got 3 guys on a max contract now, 135 million between them. It becomes obvious that the Pelican's weren't ready to go there, even though they have Zion under a controlled contract. Is the repeater tax now necessary to compete at an elite level?

MT Steve

Contributor
Gobert has a superstar impact. His contract should have been a no-brainer to every Jazz fan.

sip

For Rudy it all comes down to the playoffs. If he can be dominant in the playoffs then he is worth the contract. So far in his career in the playoffs he hasn't stepped up and dominated like you want to see from elite players. I don't expect him to outplay guys like Jokic and Anthony Davis but he needs to step up and come close to those guys. In the playoffs we need a consistent 18 and 15 from Rudy for us to have a real chance of winning a title.

framer

For Rudy it all comes down to the playoffs. If he can be dominant in the playoffs then he is worth the contract. So far in his career in the playoffs he hasn't stepped up and dominated like you want to see from elite players. I don't expect him to outplay guys like Jokic and Anthony Davis but he needs to step up and come close to those guys. In the playoffs we need a consistent 18 and 15 from Rudy for us to have a real chance of winning a title.
Rudy hasn't really been the problem in our playoff games. Shooting has.

NUMBERICA

Yes and no.

Handwringing is absolutely valid for how cataclysmic the ramifications will be for the repeater tax (don't fool yourselves that the franchise that shed a 2nd round pick to get rid of Rayjon Tucker to save a couple $100k is suddenly gonna be stoked to lose $50 million in tax over three years IF they were to keep the team together [they won't]).

The handwringing over RUDY's salary specifically is/was overwrought. Criticism and concern should be first placed on signing a hobbled, backup big - with no ball skills, and hard-capped on his minutes contribution - to the full MLE. We'll be lucky if the Jazz can keep Conley for a half-decent rate and then be able to offload Favors without jettisoning more picks (probably the next 2nd rounder they have in 2069).

Last edited:

NUMBERICA

Yes and no.

Handwringing is absolutely valid for how cataclysmic the ramifications will be for the repeater tax (don't fool yourselves that the franchise that shed a 2nd round pick to get rid of Rayjon Tucker to save a couple $100k is suddenly gonna be stoked to lose $50 million in tax over three years IF they were to keep the team together [they won't]).

The handwringing over RUDY's salary specifically is/was overwrought. Criticism and concern should be first placed on signing a hobbled, backup big - with no ball skills, and hard-capped on his minutes contribution - to the full MLE. We'll be lucky if the Jazz can keep Conley for a half-decent rate and then be able to offload Favors without jettisoning more picks (probably the next 2nd rounder they have in 2069).
Speaking of handwringing; I’m in this weird place where I hope Donovan really figures it out but want him to miss an All-NBA selection cuz that raise in his salary is the difference in having a legit rotation player or not. Would be very bad for the franchise moving forward.

Just being real.

That being said, it will be hard to gripe if all of these extravagancies yield a ring.

KqWIN

Yes and no.

I agree with all of this. The cap management was so sloppy. At one point, it looked like the money moves were being made to stay under the tax...and then it looked like they were made to stay under the hard cap...and then back. I and many others had this assumption that there was a plan behind all of this and the Jazz were setting the stage for something. But in reality they were were just clueless making money moves that had barely any significance. They didn't come close to ducking the tax and didn't make a move that require extra space under the hard cap.

If the Jazz weren't "well respected" in the media, and by that I mean friends with media members, they would have been laughed at.

gomretat

I agree with all of this. The cap management was so sloppy. At one point, it looked like the money moves were being made to stay under the tax...and then it looked like they were made to stay under the hard cap...and then back. I and many others had this assumption that there was a plan behind all of this and the Jazz were setting the stage for something. But in reality they were were just clueless making money moves that had barely any significance. They didn't come close to ducking the tax and didn't make a move that require extra space under the hard cap.

If the Jazz weren't "well respected" in the media, and by that I mean friends with media members, they would have been laughed at.
Or they were doing what the opportunities presented at the time which is continually changing. Doesn't mean there wasn't a plan. The notion that the same front office who managed the cap with exactness for years suddenly become sloppy makes no sense. What changed was a new owner is who much more opportunistic and willing to ebb a flow and new options emerge.