What's new

The Jazz's Next 20 Games -- Jazz go 10-10

How many wins will the Jazz have in their next 20 games?

• Total voters
Jazz seem to play better against good teams this year. They might win one of these games.

3 losses separate them and OKC who is currently 12th seed in the WC.
Pretty misleading statement considering the Jazz have also played 2 more games than OKC.

8-10 with 2 games to go
Well many of us did see this coming, voting in the 6-10 range. Not a surprise. I am just concerned we will end up just missing the play-in, or worse, making the play-in, and end up with a pick in the 13-17 range instead of getting a real chance at a high pick. Hopefully the Wolves continue their slide and they net us a top 3 pick. Odd are our own pick won't end up there at this point. Unless we really go on a losing streak. But I see us winning more once Conley returns, enough to keep us at about .500 which would likely be enough for the play-in. Ugh. Can't even tank properly.

I'd honestly rather see us losing while developing our young guys and determining which ones are keepers. The wins were fun but reality is creeping in quickly about our shortcomings. Let the vets play just enough to keep a little flow and to be on court coaches, but give the young guys the majority of the minutes. A competitive tank is the only way to go. Determine who will be staying, develop them and draft according to need. I think this is the way forward.

Well many of us did see this coming, voting in the 6-10 range. Not a surprise. I am just concerned we will end up just missing the play-in, or worse, making the play-in, and end up with a pick in the 13-17 range instead of getting a real chance at a high pick. Hopefully the Wolves continue their slide and they net us a top 3 pick. Odd are our own pick won't end up there at this point. Unless we really go on a losing streak. But I see us winning more once Conley returns, enough to keep us at about .500 which would likely be enough for the play-in. Ugh. Can't even tank properly.

I could see the Jazz getting to the #7 or #8 pick. The real test is where they stand vis a vis OKC.

Btw as a sidesnote... NBA.com power rankings notebook had a nice table that shows that we have the 4th most difficult schedule in the west in December based on opponent win record. How is that even possible, after the schedule we already endured? At least we play 8 of 15 at home, unlike the Lakers who play even tougher teams and almost exclusively on the road.

Btw, Lakers (and Suns) have had 0 rest disadvantage games this season.

1669984676635.png

By the way, it always amuses me when pro-tank people divide this team into two camps: the "young guys" (who should play more) and the "vets" (who should either be traded or sit). Now tell me...

Is Sexton a young guy or a vet? He's just 23 but also a 5 year veteran. He's already played a **** ton of high usage minutes in the NBA. Is he part of the future? Maybe. Maybe not. Should he get the "developmental" minutes? Why would we be developing him if he'll be on the trading block again soon? It's not like the league doesn't know who he is at this point. Whats the plan?

Is Lauri a young guy or a vet? Again, just 25 years old but a grizzled veteran of 6 NBA seasons and 3 teams. With his insane efficiency numbers this season, he'd basically have to be out of the rotation to not have a positive impact on winning. That's not going to happen. In fact, he's playing career high minutes. With his goal of making the AS game, his playing time is not going to be cut this season. Not a chance. If anything, it looks like Hardy is riding Lauri as hard as he can.

These guys were just the most obvious examples. It's not very clear cut who's part of the "youth movement" on this roster and who's not.

By the way, it always amuses me when pro-tank people divide this team into two camps: the "young guys" (who should play more) and the "vets" (who should either be traded or sit). Now tell me...

Is Sexton a young guy or a vet? He's just 23 but also a 5 year veteran. He's already played a **** ton of high usage minutes in the NBA. Is he part of the future? Maybe. Maybe not. Should he get the "developmental" minutes? Why would we be developing him if he'll be on the trading block again soon? It's not like the league doesn't know who he is at this point. Whats the plan?

Is Lauri a young guy or a vet? Again, just 25 years old but a grizzled veteran of 6 NBA seasons and 3 teams. With his insane efficiency numbers this season, he'd basically have to be out of the rotation to not have a positive impact on winning. That's not going to happen. In fact, he's playing career high minutes. With his goal of making the AS game, his playing time is not going to be cut this season. Not a chance. If anything, it looks like Hardy is riding Lauri as hard as he can.

These guys were just the most obvious examples. It's not very clear cut who's part of the "youth movement" on this roster and who's not.

This is a very confusing post. Sexton and Markkanen are absolutely apart of the youth movement. They were in bad situations and as you can see the league didn’t know who they were at this point.

It’s pretty cut and dry. Guys like Conley, Olynyk, Gay, etc aren’t going to be a part of the future. Sexton, Markkanen, Vanderbilt, Kessler, etc are going to be.

There is only one guy kind of in the middle of youth and vet and that’s Clarkson and I would bet he’s more than likely part of the future.

This is a very confusing post. Sexton and Markkanen are absolutely apart of the youth movement. They were in bad situations and as you can see the league didn’t know who they were at this point.

It’s pretty cut and dry. Guys like Conley, Olynyk, Gay, etc aren’t going to be a part of the future. Sexton, Markkanen, Vanderbilt, Kessler, etc are going to be.

There is only one guy kind of in the middle of youth and vet and that’s Clarkson and I would bet he’s more than likely part of the future.
Elizah is correct. Also to clarify, the youth movement vs grizzled vet is more often determined by their age than it is the years they have played, and especially so with this group. Anyone 26 and younger is generally part of the youth movement, meaning that group will be entering their primes at roughly the same time, or at least be able to contribute heavily within the next 2-4 years at a higher level, when we become more competitive. Anyone 28 and older is part of the veteran group, who likely do not fit our timeline depending on cost and what they can contribute or how they can adapt as the torch is passed. A couple of those could stick around and be very valuable, but still part of the vets and therefore mostly expendable. Those 2 in-between years are less clear and could fall either way. Generally for us the dividing line is between Clarkson at 30 and Beasley, at 26. Everyone is either older than Clarkson or younger than Beasley in our group. Only Fontecchio falls in between at 27, or soon to be 27, I think his birthday is this month, and being a late blooming rookie he is still counted in the youth movement. So more than I think most teams, we have a real division in our groups, age-wise, with a 4 year gap.

Elizah is correct. Also to clarify, the youth movement vs grizzled vet is more often determined by their age than it is the years they have played, and especially so with this group. Anyone 26 and younger is generally part of the youth movement, meaning that group will be entering their primes at roughly the same time, or at least be able to contribute heavily within the next 2-4 years at a higher level, when we become more competitive. Anyone 28 and older is part of the veteran group, who likely do not fit our timeline depending on cost and what they can contribute or how they can adapt as the torch is passed. A couple of those could stick around and be very valuable, but still part of the vets and therefore mostly expendable. Those 2 in-between years are less clear and could fall either way. Generally for us the dividing line is between Clarkson at 30 and Beasley, at 26. Everyone is either older than Clarkson or younger than Beasley in our group. Only Fontecchio falls in between at 27, or soon to be 27, I think his birthday is this month, and being a late blooming rookie he is still counted in the youth movement. So more than I think most teams, we have a real division in our groups, age-wise, with a 4 year gap.

Spot on.

pretty easy man. is the player over 30? If yes then he is not a young guy. If not then he is a young guy. I will help you out. The vets who should either be traded or sit are as follows: conley, clarkson, gay and olynyk.
that was easy

Cavs drafted Ochai as 3&D who can be used immediately in a win-now team as a bench player. Now with Jazz he is getting only garbage time minutes and just a couple of them. What was the point of including him in the trade package in the first place? Or will he be part of the next trade? I do not get it, opinions please. Imo at least Hardy should test him in the rotation when minutes still matter.