What's new

The Julius Randle for Mike Conley article.

Would anyone describe trading Conley as our #1 priority this summer? That's the major cause of my hesitancy. What don't we know?
Getting off his money is a high priority for a whole lot of people. For about as many more, they've lost hope that the Jazz can get off any of his money and have resigned themselves to that.It's a big deal.

From New York's perspective, they always want to be in the conversation for free agents in big free agency years and 2021 is shaping up to be an all-time big one (Giannis, Lebron, Kawhi, Paul George, Gobert, many others), and Randle's last year is a big millstone hanging around their neck.

Would anyone describe trading Conley as our #1 priority this summer? That's the major cause of my hesitancy. What don't we know?
Especially since NY should have like 10 priorities over trading Randle right? They got a long way to go. I think the wording was very bad as nailing their draft pick should be their no1 priority.

I think he was unhappy there with the losing and toxic environment. I'm not sure it is necessarily a knock against him honestly. Anyone that goes there and loves it is likely not all about competing.

I would assume we had a target and deal done with the trade exception if we did something like that. Not sure he'd throw a fit as Frank and him are homies apparently. If he thought it was a huge step back then maybe.

The trade exception of $20M+ can basically be used as cap space for a sign and trade. Say the apple of my eye Christian Wood wanted to sign with us we could work a sign and trade with Detroit and send them a draft pick for their trouble. We could still use MLE and BAE so wouldn't have to necessarily use the whole dollar amount of the trade exception... so it could add several pieces.

I'm cool with keeping Mike honestly... just wish we'd configure lineups differently. If NY wanted a deal the one I outlined is much better than a Randle centered deal imo.
Depending on the Clarkson situation it would fully put them under the cap, no?

This baffles me.

Conley $34.5 million
Randle $18.9 million (only $4 million guaranteed for 2021-22)

How in the world is $15.6 million irrelevant to some of you?

The piece folks are missing is that we'd create a trade exception that can be used with other teams as cap space or a somewhat valuable trade piece. It isn't as flexible as just space but many teams are willing to do sign and trades if their FAs decide they don't want to come back.

I just think Randle is a clunky fit and we kind of have some clunky fits already.

You'll love this deal... you ready... we send Randle to Charlotte instead in a three team deal and land the apple of your eye.... Terry Rozier. Charlotte needs frontcourt help and Randle is the type of volume guy they could actually use. Charlotte may take a guard in the draft they can pair with Graham.

So you get Rozier and a trade exception.

We could get to around 23M if we waived JC's cap hold. Means you let him walk and use 23M in space or have 13Mish in space after signing JC. No MLE and no BAE since you operate under the cap. Could like carve out a little more if you waive and stretch Ed or find a home for him.

I'd rather have a $20M+ exception, plus JC, plus MLE and BAE. You can also split the exception out on multiple players.

It's both fun and funny to be debating all of this, when in reality we are all ignoring the very thing that deep down each of us know: DL is not moving Conley. If anything, he's chasing vindication the same way a guy who's destroyed his life with heroin is chasing his next high.

We could get to around 23M if we waived JC's cap hold. Means you let him walk and use 23M in space or have 13Mish in space after signing JC. No MLE and no BAE since you operate under the cap. Could like carve out a little more if you waive and stretch Ed or find a home for him.

I'd rather have a $20M+ exception, plus JC, plus MLE and BAE. You can also split the exception out on multiple players.
I'll have to look it up, but I don't think teams without Bird Rights can even S&T players. Thus, the Wood scenario is unworkable. But again, I've been meaning to look that up because the avenues to making that work are scant.

I'll have to look it up, but I don't think teams without Bird Rights can even S&T players. Thus, the Wood scenario is unworkable. But again, I've been meaning to look that up because the avenues to making that work are scant.
You know what that sounds right... forgot they didn't have bird rights... there are other fish in that sea obvi but that scenario might be dead. Sorry.

It's both fun and funny to be debating all of this, when in reality we are all ignoring the very thing that deep down each of us know: DL is not moving Conley. If anything, he's chasing vindication the same way a guy who's destroyed his life with heroin is chasing his next high.
So much this... I mean he couldn't even handle us bringing him off the bench. He rode with Exum for 12 years... he will likely extend TB when he should have not picked up his option two options ago. NWG will be on the roster for 5 years.

Not necessarily. With Conley and all option players, we are at $117. The cap is supposed to be $109. So if we replace Conley with Randle, we are below the cap. HOWEVER, we still have cap holds for Clarkson, Mudiay, Morgan and others. I'm fairly certain that we could operate "above the cap" but "below the luxury" if we time this all right. By doing that, we could use the full MLE ($9.6) instead of the Room which is less.

But.... if we waived NWG, and others, we could potentially have more than $10 million in cap space which is more than the MLE. This summer, there are hardly any teams with cap space. Of course that would mean renouncing Clarkson which seems like a lateral move.

Normally, I agree 100%. They would blame Bojan's injury, run it back, and blame something else when Conley just walks.

In the year of COVID, maybe the Miller family values the massive savings over the fact that Conley is slightly better than Randle for what we need.

You know what that sounds right... forgot they didn't have bird rights... there are other fish in that sea obvi but that scenario might be dead. Sorry.
Well:
1. If the Jazz can get under the cap sufficiently, they wouldn't have to **** with any of that ******** anyway. The more moving parts are removed, the higher the chances that something could get worked out (in addition to having more leverage to get the Pistons [or whoever] to come to the table if such a thing was beneficial to all parties)
2. It appears teams without Bird Rights CAN trade a player that last played for them. I think:

Larry Coon said:
92. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?
The sign-and-trade rule allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, and not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind -- if the trade is not completed, then the signing is invalidated.

To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:
  • The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
  • The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
  • The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 42).
  • The team receiving the player cannot be above the "Apron" (see question number 20) at the conclusion of the trade1, 2. A team above the Apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the Apron.
  • The team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
  • The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
  • The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).
A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced (see question number 39), as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons3. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 32).
3. If I'm reading the portion in red correctly... the Jazz could renounce Clarkson but still use him in a S&T?

From http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q92

You'll love this deal... you ready... we send Randle to Charlotte instead in a three team deal and land the apple of your eye.... Terry Rozier. Charlotte needs frontcourt help and Randle is the type of volume guy they could actually use. Charlotte may take a guard in the draft they can pair with Graham.

So you get Rozier and a trade exception.

This is a great idea. Rozier doesn't dominate the ball and he plays tough defense for his size. He would have been an asset on Murray for sure.
Graham really emerged as a great true PG for Charlotte last year. Maybe they see Randle as the type asset they need.

But I'll take this trade a little further....

NY get Conley, #23 from Utah and #32 from Charlotte
Charlotte gets Randle and Tony Bradley
Utah gets Ntilikina and #56 from Charlotte

NY gets Conley, a 1st and an early 2nd while shedding cap space for summer 2021.
Charlotte gets two big men for pretty much nothing. Bradley is a UNC guy.
Utah gets $30 million in cap savings and a perimeter defender who is buddies with Don/Rudy

Ntilikina is the key to any deal with the Knicks. Donovan and Rudy both like him and he’s a good defender. He’s the type of young player to buy low on and can reap huge rewards.

Ntilikina is the key to any deal with the Knicks. Donovan and Rudy both like him and he’s a good defender. He’s the type of young player to buy low on and can reap huge rewards.

100% agree.

This trade, if it includes Ntilikina, dovetails all other discussions right now.

Need for perimeter defense
Need for youth
Need for savings
Need for using the MLE
Need to re-sign Clarkson
Need for using the BAE

Frank is a restricted free agent after this season. He represents an $18+ million cap hold for summer 2021. In all likelihood, NY would have to renounce him to bring in multiple big free agents anyway.

If NY traded us Frank and Randle for Conley, NY would only have Barrett, Knox, and Robinson (combined $16 million) and any draft picks this year going into summer 2021 if they renounce Dennis Smith Jr. They could dream about Giannis and a couple of his buddies.

Ntilikina's ceiling is non-injury prone Exum. There really isn't much there.