What's new

The Julius Randle for Mike Conley article.

A) Bobby Portis is not a wing
B) Why would The Jazz be giving up a first in this scenario?
C) The Jazz are over the cap, so no... you don’t just get $17mil in open cap space to use. You would just be giving up Conley for... Bobby Portis, and that’s pretty much it.

A) I agree
B) I agree
C) As we currently sit, we can't re-sign Clarkson AND use the full MLE without going into the luxury. In the current COVID climate, I see zero reason why we become a luxury team. So shedding $10+ million might be enough so we could fully utilize the MLE. Without shedding cap somewhere (Conley, Ed Davis, Tony Bradley), we currently can't use the MLE AND re-sign Clarkson. That's a big deal.

Why do we want portis? He been a net negative BPM basically his entire career, on generally crappy teams. Doesn't sound like a win unless it's just to save money. But we need to improve our defensive identity. Portis doesn't move that needle unless it's the wrong direction.

Because Portis is a much more consistent three point threat who can secure those boards when Rudy leaves the paint to contest those shots. Portis is not much of a shot greator compared to Randle but I do consider him as a better fit just because of his three point ability. If we can acquire him in a deal that sends Conley the other way, it makes us better as a team.

I love how people forget this little tidbit of info regarding Conley

Mike Conley has played for one nba team his whole career. Memphis had those Grit and Grind teams. This was Conley's first year in a new system. People are forgetting that little tidbit. He had been in one system his whole career so if course it going take time to adjust to a new system, a new team, heck a new city. Not only all of that but he was also coming off an injury that had him miss all last year. I,unlike the masses knew there be an adjustment period. He so almost hit the game winner in game 7. It was in and out, but we should be patient with Conley. Mike Conley was the biggest free agent in recent time that picked Utah and everyone wants to get rid of him. Know how bad teams will use that against us when a free agent signings comes down to Utah and OKC. We should wait and see. Give him one more year. Otherwise we can say good bye to a big name free agent every coming here again.

Because Portis is a much more consistent three point threat who can secure those boards when Rudy leaves the paint to contest those shots. Portis is not much of a shot greator compared to Randle but I do consider him as a better fit just because of his three point ability. If we can acquire him in a deal that sends Conley the other way, it makes us better as a team.
No one in there right mind think Portis is better than Randle. I don't know a single GM who would pick Bobby over Handle.

Basketball wise, why would Randle make sense? Is he a good fit in Quin system?

He is just an average player. Bad shooter from 3. Needs the ball in his hands and lots of space in order to be effective: tends to dribble a lot before he gets momentum going into the basket. And when he gets there, he is not the greatest finisher. He is not a good defender either. Can't play the 5 really.

So, can he play next to Rudy?. He is not an ideal fit. Can he elevate this team to the next level? Nah.
He can play small bag five but people get to worked up on quin system. Doubt quin is here after next year when they miss playoffs

It's insignificant in that it wont let the Jazz do anything they cant do with Conley on the team. It in no way offers any additional avenue for the Jazz to get better, only worse.

But yes, it would save Greggy and the Millers some money;
So you want Conley gone so much even though it could affect future Free Agent signings?

Only way jazz can make playoffs next year is if Conley can become 75 percent the player he was at Memphis.
People say stuff for all these teams but all these teams are in better spot than the jazz next year.
Lakers
Clips
Nuggets
Rockets
Warriors
Portland
Dallas

Those 7 all have superstars who can carry them deep. Mitchell a star and super star in making but he not there yet.i seen one person make up excuses for all these teams on why the jazz are better. Even heard the mavs dismissed but Donic is better than Donovan. Better playmaker for others. Jazz are going be competing with these teams next year.
Utah,Memphis,Phoenix,new orleans,Kings, minnesota. All those teams fighting for one spot. Jazz very well could miss playoffs and I know that's not popular but it's a real possibility.
Jazz need Conley for his vet leadership next year. Cp3 and OKc showed how far vet leadership can take you

Because he wanted to come here. Sure he was traded but both teams agreed before hand. Conley said he wanted to come here otherwise it never would of went down. So we shouldn't just dismiss him after one so so year where he learning a new system and coming off a major injury

He can play small bag five but people get to worked up on quin system. Doubt quin is here after next year when they miss playoffs
Nope. His teams bleeded points with Randle as a small ball C. Look at his stats in NO without Davis on the floor (check cleaning the glass). He mostly played PF in NY but at C, he was a -2.4. He just can't protect the paint/deter shots.

So you want Conley gone so much even though it could affect future Free Agent signings?
uh? you are missing the point here. With Rudy and DM's extensions and Bojan, Joe, Royce on the payroll, it makes no difference whether or not Conley is here. From now on, you are looking at the draft, trades and MLE to improve the team. The salary cap is gone with or without Conley.

uh? you are missing the point here. With Rudy and DM's extensions and Bojan, Joe, Royce on the payroll, it makes no difference whether or not Conley is here. From now on, you are looking at the draft, trades and MLE to improve the team. The salary cap is gone with or without Conley.
Technically, this summer is the last chance for a while if we have a way to dump Conley's contract.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I give the Jazz like a 5% chance of trading Conley. We'd be getting something ugly back in return and it wouldn't be worth it. It's one more year, and the season will probably be shortened anyways.

I give the Jazz like a 5% chance of trading Conley. We'd be getting something ugly back in return and it wouldn't be worth it. It's one more year, and the season will probably be shortened anyways.
Which is why I think the Jazz FO might get pushed by the Jazz ownership to cut salary if they can.

If NY wants Conley, then make it happen and cut salary. They have a number of low risk contracts (Randle, Portis, Gibson, Ntilikina, etc). And if there was a 3rd team that wanted Randle, Portis, etc, then we could save on a majority of Conley's deal.

At the end of the day, this is a hurting business. Conley is not worth his contract.

Technically, this summer is the last chance for a while if we have a way to dump Conley's contract.

Hey buddy, in theory. You will need a team to absorb his contract without taking anything back. That rarely happens. If it does, you need some picks and we don't have any. Even if we clear cap space, this FA class is pretty weak. In addition, you have to consider Don's cap hold.

I think we will look and trades and the MLE.

Hey buddy, in theory. You will need a team to absorb his contract without taking anything back. That rarely happens. If it does, you need some picks and we don't have any. Even if we clear cap space, this FA class is pretty weak. In addition, you have to consider Don's cap hold.

I think we will look and trades and the MLE.
Depends on how much NY wants Conley...

NY gets Conley and draft stuff from Charlotte
Charlotte gets Randle
Jazz get cap space

There are already reports that NY wants Conley. There are reports that Charlotte wants Randle. We can do better with Conley's money.

Its highly unlikely, but all depends on how much NY wants Chris Paul and then their alternative Mike Conley.

I love how people forget this little tidbit of info regarding Conley

Mike Conley has played for one nba team his whole career. Memphis had those Grit and Grind teams. This was Conley's first year in a new system. People are forgetting that little tidbit. He had been in one system his whole career so if course it going take time to adjust to a new system, a new team, heck a new city. Not only all of that but he was also coming off an injury that had him miss all last year. I,unlike the masses knew there be an adjustment period. He so almost hit the game winner in game 7. It was in and out, but we should be patient with Conley. Mike Conley was the biggest free agent in recent time that picked Utah and everyone wants to get rid of him. Know how bad teams will use that against us when a free agent signings comes down to Utah and OKC. We should wait and see. Give him one more year. Otherwise we can say good bye to a big name free agent every coming here again.
I agree with a lot of that.

But, Conley wasn't a free agent signing. He did not choose here. In fact when asked the year before he specifically said he did not want to go to Utah.