What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Did he outplay his minimum deal? Is he the reason the team broke up?
He outplayed his minimum deal and then never got another minimum deal. THe Jazz were plagued by locker-room issues and that led to the downfall of the team and our star playing half-assed in a winnable series.

I know this is hard for y'all to put together becaues you so desperately want this to be a simple thing of just adding talent and dont want to admit there are factors you arent privy to

And I'm also sure part of the reason Favors isnt in the NBA anymore is because he doesnt want to be. He was never the hardest worker or most ambitious player. That's why he wanted to stay in Utah and why he was OK being 2nd fiddle to Rudy despite having the talent for more.
Isn't this fairly similar to the reason Whiteside is not in the NBA?

Like why is WIll Hardy playing Rudy Gay? Maybe because there are real negatives to having these negative guys on your team and it's overall just better to appease them with something if you are in the unfortunuate position of having them.

Isn't this fairly similar to the reason Whiteside is not in the NBA?
No.

Im not saying Favors was lazy or anything. He did what he had to to secure his future and earn himself a great living. He just wasnt going to go above and beyond to be maximize his NBA potential/earning ability. I think Favors is probably closer to the average person's motivation level. Professional, but not exceptional and accepted what came with that.

Whiteside was more along the lines of someone with an average work ethic and outside delusions of grandeur to go along with outside confidence and willingness to vocalize.

Like why is WIll Hardy playing Rudy Gay? Maybe because there are real negatives to having these negative guys on your team and it's overall just better to appease them with something if you are in the unfortunuate position of having them.
And if Rudy was on a minimum deal you just cut him and problem solved...

And I dont think it's a huge negative for the Lakers, but the idea that a team should have tried to pay him more just to block the Lakers from getting him is wild.

This isnt going to help the Lakers at all. He will probably have some nice moments and a lot of bad ones and do nothing in the playoffs for them. He'll have enough highlights for another team to continue to believe in him for these types of deals and for a section of your fanbase to swear by his potential if the coach actually believed in him.

Title teams for years have made use of the talented guy with maturity or locker room issues. As long as you do it at a low buy in it is a good bet. From Bison Dele to Stephen Jackson and Dennis Rodman to Ron Artest... more recently Dwight Howard. Lakers made a bet on a guy that could be quite helpful and has every reason to be on his best behavior... the opportunity cost is nothing (have to have 13 players on the roster and he makes the minimum so his salary is partially subsidized by the league).

Title teams for years have made use of the talented guy with maturity or locker room issues. As long as you do it at a low buy in it is a good bet. From Bison Dele to Stephen Jackson and Dennis Rodman to Ron Artest... more recently Dwight Howard. Lakers made a bet on a guy that could be quite helpful and has every reason to be on his best behavior... the opportunity cost is nothing (have to have 13 players on the roster and he makes the minimum so his salary is partially subsidized by the league).
Good lord you went from discrediting Steph in the draft thing we did to comparing Christian ****ing Wood to Dennis Rodman, Stepehn Jackson, Ron Artest, and Dwight Howard.

lmfao, you've outdone yourself.

Still has negatives. And cutting him still gives you a cap hit of 3 million next year.
The cap hit means nothing... they won't have cap space and they won't be in the tax. I ain't worried about the Buss family's finances. Its also partially subsidized anyway... its the epitome of a low risk high reward deal.

Good lord you went from discrediting Steph in the draft thing we did to comparing Christian ****ing Wood to Dennis Rodman, Stepehn Jackson, Ron Artest, and Dwight Howard.

And you went back to childishly taking all the nuance out to make my position seem ridiculous... it is not... there were several other players but I'm naming guys we'd all remember. Say he performs at Malik Monk levels for the Lakers... huge win.

And you went back to childishly taking all the nuance out to make my position seem ridiculous... it is not... there were several other players but I'm naming guys we'd all remember. Say he performs at Malik Monk levels for the Lakers... huge win.
lmao now Wood is going to play like a 6th man of the year candidate.

I’ll let HH speak for himself but he’s not comparing them to those guys but demonstrating the principle at play with obvious precedents, which obviously bias toward more known guys. But, in any case, Stephen Jackson is actually a pretty good comp for skill level.

And if we want to look at comps of guys teams took flyers on who weren’t as premier or it didn’t end up working out, don’t make me break out the Ruben Patterson comps.

I’ll let HH speak for himself but he’s not comparing them to those guys but demonstrating the principle at play with obvious precedents, which obviously bias toward more known guys. But, in any case, Stephen Jackson is actually a pretty good comp for skill level.
Stephen Jackson was much much much better and he at least showed productivity at an early age at teh top level. Dude was a starter on a NBA champion in his 3rd year. It's not a good comparison.

Dude was just obsessed with the street life and couldnt fully leave it behind. He wasnt a bad teammate who made his team worse.

And if we want to look at comps of guys teams took flyers on who weren’t as premier or it didn’t end up working out, don’t make me break out the Ruben Patterson comps.
Another street dude who's issues were predicted from his upbringing, which is different from where Wood is coming from.

Back