What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Anyone get the feeling that the Suns this year are last year's Lakers? Start out super hot, then fall apart due to injury?

Booker, Ayton, Smith, now Cam Payne hurt with an ankle....

Suns are gonna come crashing down pretty soon - Jazz need to capitalize, because the Suns are getting hit hard by injuries now.

I think that wear and tear of the long Finals run has caught up to them.

Anyone get the feeling that the Suns this year are last year's Lakers? Start out super hot, then fall apart due to injury?

Booker, Ayton, Smith, now Cam Payne hurt with an ankle....

Suns are gonna come crashing down pretty soon - Jazz need to capitalize, because the Suns are getting hit hard by injuries now.

I think that wear and tear of the long Finals run has caught up to them.
You never know but I think they would be lucky to have the health they did last year, especially CP3. The rest of those guys are young and should be fine outside of a fluke injury that could but anyone.

Speaking of Suns since half this board loses their **** when it happens to the Jazz. Suns lost tonight to the Clippers without Paul or Batum.
I watched the game, pretty clear they didn't care about it. Monty Williams was playing Ish Wainwright and Jae Crowder at the 5 lol.

He actually sat CP3 for more than 8 minutes when the Suns had a chance to make it a game, and finally the Clippers pushed their lead to 19 to end it.

They were without Booker, Ayton, Kaminsky, Smith, and Nader, and I like I said Cam Payne got hurt too.

I'm just saying... Jazz gotta be ready - an opening is there for the taking... unfortunately because of injuries, but the Suns had injury luck on their side last year. Not so much this year.

The Raptors are a fun team to watch. Dalano Banton looks legit. They got a lot of young dudes who look like capable players and they have a very positionless feel to their play, especially when they sit Boucher.
Definitely my favorite non-jazz team to watch. They over-help a little too much, but gawddamn they have lots of energy. If they can find a guy who can use a lot of offensive possessions with near league-average efficiency, then they shoot way up the East. In a flash.

I think the season gonna get paused at some point... Bulls without like 10 guys... Lakers cancel practice today... Nets dropping like flies. I am not saying postponed, but a postponement for a few teams or a league wide break after Christmas seems possible. So many Covid cases.

Guess what everyone!

The Knicks lost again!!!!

laughing-laugh.gif
that planet of the apes gif is an all-timer

I think the season gonna get paused at some point... Bulls without like 10 guys... Lakers cancel practice today... Nets dropping like flies. I am not saying postponed, but a postponement for a few teams or a league wide break after Christmas seems possible. So many Covid cases.

The difference this time around is that the league doesn't think Covid is that dangerous. Whereas, before a lot was unknown.

Someone explain to me why neither of 538’s two models like the Warriors. Currently we’re at 23% to win it all over the player-based forecast, just under 24% for the Bucks who are the highest. The Warriors are at 4%. Also the Suns at only 14%. Elo forecast has us at 24%, Phoenix at 21%, GSW at 16% and Bucks a huge drop to 10%. I get the whole scheduling thing and whatever, but we’re a quarter of the way through the season.

Someone explain to me why neither of 538’s two models like the Warriors. Currently we’re at 23% to win it all over the player-based forecast, just under 24% for the Bucks who are the highest. The Warriors are at 4%. Also the Suns at only 14%. Elo forecast has us at 24%, Phoenix at 21%, GSW at 16% and Bucks a huge drop to 10%. I get the whole scheduling thing and whatever, but we’re a quarter of the way through the season.

It's because almost every player Warriors player is playing at a significantly higher level (in terms of Raptor) than they were last year. Their projection doesaccount for what's happened this year, but it's still anchored down by what happened last year. Over time, previous performance will account less and current season performance will count for more. This is why the model is high on the Jazz and Bucks. They've been playing at a championship level (during the RS) already.

A good way to gauge this is by looking at their individual players current and projected RAPTOR rating. You can see how the model is assigning "credit" to their success and what it thinks about that rating going forward. The model is also assuming significant playoff minutes for both Klay and Wiseman, both who are negative but especially Wiseman.

538’s model is both very good and very bad depending on how you look at it. For distant goals like the Championship, it’s not going to be great. To be clear, most most models are not great doing this. There’s so much that goes into predicting the championship that can throw things off. Even if they predict the relative strength of each player well, predicting the minutes could be off or vice versus. Compared to your other models it stands its group just fine, however. It’s really just different ways of doing the same thing.

What makes 538 really useful for me is that they show so much under the hood. You can more easily tell where the mode missed and where you might disagree. Having an understanding of why the models says what it does allows it to be useful even if it seems funky. You can tell if the model is wayyy off on a certain player or predicts the minutes distribution and adjust your opinions/calculations accordingly.

Say this about the Suns... that team is hell to play in a close game. Booker and CP3 are nightmares to guard in the mid-range, and DA has certainly taken a step forward with his offense.

The Blazers couldn't guard a basic pick-and-roll to save their lives. It seems they can't make free-throws at home either when they had opportunities to seal the game.

The Blazers couldn't guard a basic pick-and-roll to save their lives. It seems they can't make free-throws at home either when they had opportunities to seal the game.
That Suns Spain P&R is one of the most deadly P&Rs in the NBA - they don't shoot the 3, but when they do, they're pretty efficient, and usually the 3s out of that action are wide the hell open.

And the Blazers couldn't stop it last night, even with Booker out.

Westbrook airball the three… then let’s his guy get a run out layup… he’s so great.