What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Eh throwing lobs to wemby isn't difficult and I would rather wemby have to cover for a teammates poor defense than wemby having other good defenders as teammates.

I also think trading for guys you don't really want just to keep them from going to other teams is a bad Idea. I would rather trade for guys that we want on our team instead.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Weird response.

Throwing lobs to Wemby is easier than to anyone else but having an elite lob passer would still benefit him greatly. The synergy in their offensive skillsets is great.

And because I get Cy's logic doesnt mean Id do it. I dont think he would do it either.

Weird response.

Throwing lobs to Wemby is easier than to anyone else but having an elite lob passer would still benefit him greatly. The synergy in their offensive skillsets is great.

And because I get Cy's logic doesnt mean Id do it. I dont think he would do it either.
I also said I would "consider" trading for Young, not that I would outright trade for Young.

Weird response.

What was weird about my response? Be specific.

What was weird about my response? Be specific.
I said they'd benefit from each other and that I see the logic in what Cy said.

If I read that correctly you implied that anyone can throw lobs for Wemby and that he would rather play with good defenders.

Im not sure if you are disagreeing or not about their offensive synergy in the first part, and saying you would rather only have good defenders is just a truism.

Also I didnt suggest trading for anyone, but you responded by opposing such trade concept.

Was that specific enough?

I wouldn’t but I did see a report that suggested SA wasn’t that into Trae which I thought was kinda funny. I think with Trae there is likely some attitude locker room stuff that is more well known in nba circles that we may not get the full story on.
If you had to bet money on it... would you bet that Trae's rep is more bad branding or something real?

Im sort of torn. At times I almost believe it, but at times it feels like an overblown narrative.

I said they'd benefit from each other and that I see the logic in what Cy said.

If I read that correctly you implied that anyone can throw lobs for Wemby and that he would rather play with good defenders.

Im not sure if you are disagreeing or not about their offensive synergy in the first part, and saying you would rather only have good defenders is just a truism.

Also I didnt suggest trading for anyone, but you responded by opposing such trade concept.

Was that specific enough?
So you think its weird that I said that anyone can throw lobs to wemby? Ok. My response was in relation to the entire idea of trading for trae young in order to prevent him from teaming up with wemby. Other dudes will be great at throwing lobs to wemby and will have great synergy on offense with wemby. he is pretty special. You could even argue that taller players have an advantage at throwing lobs (getting passes over defenders) and trae isn't very tall. Also nowhere in my post did i say having an elite lob passer would not benefit him greatly or that the synergy in their offensive skillsets is not great.

I think its more weird to make a post saying we should consider trading for Trae in order to prevent him from teaming up with wemby. That makes it sound like trae is the player that will make wemby and the spurs great. I think that wemby and spurs being great or not depends very little on trae young.

It would be like saying that we need to trade for (insert the name of any ok player here) to prevent them from going to a team with lebron on it back when he came into the league (if he were in the west of course or we were in the east). Just seems silly to me. Trae isn't that good. Lots of other players teaming up with wemby worry me much much more than trae. If the spurs traded for Trae Young I wouldn't be like "oh no trae and wemby are teaming up. We are screwed!" Maybe if luka (could also probably throw a decent lob pass to wemby) got traded to the spurs or something but not trae young.

Last edited:
If you had to bet money on it... would you bet that Trae's rep is more bad branding or something real?

Im sort of torn. At times I almost believe it, but at times it feels like an overblown narrative.
I think there is some smoke there and you hear hints about it when you listen to people. Some of these ideas are sticky and maybe overblown but it comes from enough sources that it feels at least a little real. I think its something the right personalities or maturity or leadership could help with though.

Like when he says the regular season is boring and he ain't really trying... that **** is irritating and makes me think that he needs someone like Lebron that is such a huge personality that he will submit to their leadership. A blank slate/empty vacuum kinda like we have would likely not be great. Will may be up for it but its a huge gamble.

With all of these deals if the price is right then figure it out. Like if LA and SA aren't super interested (brooklyn is another I could see) then maybe the price is low enough. I've got a feeling one of those will pony up 2+ picks and a player or two that Atlanta likes... I think that is a fair price and I'd pay that... but I wouldn't beat it if that makes sense.

So you think its weird that I said that anyone can throw lobs to wemby? Ok. My response was in relation to the entire idea of trading for trae young in order to prevent him from teaming up with wemby. Other dudes will be great at throwing lobs to wemby and will have great synergy on offense with wemby. he is pretty special. You could even argue that taller players have an advantage at throwing lobs (getting passes over defenders) and trae isn't very tall. Also nowhere in my post did i say having an elite lob passer would not benefit him greatly or that the synergy in their offensive skillsets is not great.

I think its more weird to make a post saying we should consider trading for Trae in order to prevent him from teaming up with wemby. That makes it sound like trae is the player that will make wemby and the spurs great. I think that wemby and spurs being great or not depends very little on trae young.

It would be like saying that we need to trade for (insert the name of any ok player here) to prevent them from going to a team with lebron on it back when he came into the league (if he were in the west of course or we were in the east). Just seems silly to me. Trae isn't that good. Lots of other players teaming up with wemby worry me much much more than trae. If the spurs traded for Trae Young I wouldn't be like "oh no trae and wemby are teaming up. We are screwed!" Maybe if luka (could also probably throw a decent lob pass to wemby) got traded to the spurs or something but not trae young.
So essentially you dont think Trae Young is a good player and you are not seeing that he would lift Wemby offensively any more than some other PG.

Thats fair, but I disagree on those. Trae may be somewhat toxic unless its a media narrative, but he is special as an offensive player. He has produced quite awesome numbers despite never even playing on a perfectly spaced court. Also 2-3 years ago John Collins was their second best offensive player and the only All-star caliber player he has ever played with (Murray) plays the same position as he does.

But I do need to reiterate the fact that I didnt propose to trading for him, nor would I ever endorse a trade just to prevent someone else making one.

Interesting article: https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nba-pl...ipation-policy-is-being-tested-135035088.html

Seems like the first year of this policy worked for the most part.

I'm mostly in favor of this policy. I can still see the potential negative consequences, but think the positives outweigh them. I think it will take a couple of more years to really know what effects it is having.

FWIW I think most of the changes that Silver has made have been ok, but by far the best change is the Play In.

I'm mostly in favor of this policy. I can still see the potential negative consequences, but think the positives outweigh them. I think it will take a couple of more years to really know what effects it is having.

FWIW I think most of the changes that Silver has made have been ok, but by far the best change is the Play In.
Agreed. I like the play in a lot. I have actually been more interested in the play in than I am in the playoffs. The lack of a true series makes the games like they are all game 7's or close to it.

Play in is fun but it also gives an even bigger advantage to the top seeded teams that I don't really think is necessary. A 1/8 upset was already rare enough

Agreed. I like the play in a lot. I have actually been more interested in the play in than I am in the playoffs. The lack of a true series makes the games like they are all game 7's or close to it.
That game between the Heat and the 76ers was a dogfight from start to finish.

Play in is fun but it also gives an even bigger advantage to the top seeded teams that I don't really think is necessary. A 1/8 upset was already rare enough
Yeah you cannot say definitively that its an advantage, since we saw both 1/8 and 2/7 upsets last year which was just the 3rd year of play-in.

Last time either one happened before that was 2012.

Yeah you cannot say definitively that its an advantage, since we saw both 1/8 and 2/7 upsets last year which was just the 3rd year of play-in.

Last time either one happened before that was 2012.
How can you not? The 8 seed has to play two extra games while the top seed rest. It's clearly an advantage.

There are multiple ways to look at it though.

8 seed is rolling and has momentum. 1 seed has rust.

You know how to look at it? No one would choose to play the extra games and would take the rest. So it's an advantage.

Also I don't think the goal of the play in tournament was/is to have 8th seeds upset 1 seeds more often. I don't think that's what the NBA or most fans want.
I don't really like huge upsets in the playoffs. I want the 2 best teams in the finals.

Either way, play in tournament or no play in tournament, 8 seeds aren't going to beat 1 seeds very often so it's a pointless discussion.

The main thing is that the play in tournament is fun.

You know how to look at it? No one would choose to play the extra games and would take the rest. So it's an advantage.
I agree with you. Just saying that there is another way to look at it that has some validity.

Like I would rather be rich than poor without a doubt. But sometimes mo money mo problems and poor people are sometimes happier than rich people.

Sometimes momentum and confidence can be better than rest. Not usually but sometimes. No one would pick momentum and confidence over rest but sometimes, with hindsight, we find that the team that had the momentum and confidence seemed to play better than the team that rested