What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

I didnt like that trade from day one. Thought conley was too small, too old, too expensive and too injury prone. Also thought we should just move DM over to pg

Thinking? Love it when people try something new!! You are right tho our back court is small and DM to pg makes sense.

I distinctly recall you being one of, if not the biggest Grayson Allen hater on this board well into his rookie year.
I don’t remember being a fan. I don’t believe I was a hater. but he seems to have really come into his own. This year he’s averaging pretty good numbers. Did we give up on him too soon?

I don’t remember being a fan. I don’t believe I was a hater. but he seems to have really come into his own. This year he’s averaging pretty good numbers. Did we give up on him too soon?
I thought there was enough there to be have reasonable optimism. I thought the price for Conley was steep (essentially 3 1sts if you consider Allen, which I did and do).

I think the answer to your question comes down to if you think DM as a full-time PG would actually work. I was big on that idea before seeing good Conley last year and now I am not so sure.

I don't think there's a clear answer to the larger question of it the trade was worth it or not, but if it's any consolation, the Grizzlies sent him out just to clear a logjam.

I thought there was enough there to be have reasonable optimism. I thought the price for Conley was steep (essentially 3 1sts if you consider Allen, which I did and do).

I think the answer to your question comes down to if you think DM as a full-time PG would actually work. I was big on that idea before seeing good Conley last year and now I am not so sure.

I don't think there's a clear answer to the larger question of it the trade was worth it or not, but if it's any consolation, the Grizzlies sent him out just to clear a logjam.
You seemed to hate the Allen pick.

This thread is really weird and people are really stretching whatever point they’re making. So let’s talk about the truth:

Grayson Allen is 4th on the PG depth chart and 3rd or lower on the SG depth chart which is to be expected. The issue in drafting him is as much about where he was destined to be on the depth chart early on as much as it was his pedestrian physical ability. The bottom line here, though, is that it’s irrational to expect a guy to just come in at totally random spots and crush it.

Yeah, he might be a bust, but that’s usually what you get anyway. It would be nice if he got some opportunities but we’ll see how this all unfolds.

Sincerely,
-A Guy That Absolutely Hated the Pick
I do think you were right. Allen has found a home with the Bucks and is taking advantage of the opportunities.

I know I had reservations:

Teams “need” players who average 6 pts and 39 percent shooting?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dellama01.html

Just to compare, Raul Neto averages 5 pts and 45 percent shooting for his career and was drafted in the 2nd round. Delly was drafted in the second round. Allen was taken 21st overall in the first round and is averaging 4 pts and 31 percent shooting.

Seems to me like we spent a first round draft pick on production easily found in the second round or free agent market. If Delly is the role you see Allen aspiring to, then why did we draft Allen at 21?
I also think the price for Conley was (too) steep. But after being destroyed by the rockets two years straight, I definitely understand why management wanted to move on from Rubio. I just wished we had kept some assets to help get us (young) talent. How sweet would it be to team Mitchell up with a young player with size who could better defend the perimeter? Or find that long 4 who could defend?

Blazers came all the way back… they looked terrible in the first half.

In a high school tournament game we had a play that looked kind of like that which I still chuckle about. One guy got a rebound, tried to kick it out to me for the fast break, but he botched the pass, I stumbled as I tried to pick it up, ended up fast-dribbling it 3 inches off the ground for about 10 feet before I went down, but I was able to bat it to another team-mate. he bobbled the catch and looked like he was volleyballing it when he tripped on his own feet and went down and was able to basically smack it to another guy. Someone on the other team smacked at it and it deflected and hit our guy in the forehead. He went down like he had been shot, but the ball bounced straight up like a jump ball, one of our guys got to it in mid-air and tipped it to me. I was all confused so I tried to shoot it, missed everything, hit another dude in the back and one of our guys picked it up and got the layup. Pretty sure I missed a few three-stoogers antics in the middle there. It was absolute chaos. Even after everything else we went through and all the great wins, we still talk about that play just for the sheer Harlem Globetrotters of it all.

I’m interested to see how the NBA handles this. You don’t suspend Lebron and you put out a very negative message for the league. And if you suspend him for 1 game let’s say, you show other players that you can punch someone and only get suspended one game. All you have to do is make it look accidental.

I’m interested to see how the NBA handles this. You don’t suspend Lebron and you put out a very negative message for the league. And if you suspend him for 1 game let’s say, you show other players that you can punch someone and only get suspended one game. All you have to do is make it look accidental.
What did they give Malone for doing Thomas? That seems like a good penalty here, especially considering how much more peaceful the league is supposed to be. Wasn't it like 4 games?