What's new

The off-season strategies (Jazz have limited options)

I just don’t know how it happens. Would require some out of the box GM-ing and we really ain’t with that.
Well I’m sure Lopo knows how to get the Jazz to trade for the Heat front office and we can make some magic happen.

Something big would have to happen with Conley and his salary. But.

I listen to the Rights to Ricky Sanchez Podcast (a sixers podcast...kind of) because those guys are pretty funny and they honestly are sixers fans who hate the sixers more than we do... so its kinda fun. Anywell... those guys are always saying they need someone that can dribble and create a reliable shot. They mentioned "even like Jordan Clarkson" and its kinda been rattling around in my head... would we do a sign and trade sending out JC and getting back Josh Richardson (a guy the RTRS guys always say is good but not a great fit with the roster).

I really like JC but wonder if you can't get maximum value by bring Mike off the bench in that bench scorer role. I think Mike could do it while distributing a little, but not on as much scoring volume as JC. Richardson adds a solid perimeter defender... streaky shooter and can create a little. IDK, just throwing something else against the wall.

I get the feeling that JC really exceeded DL's expectations with regard to fit and production... just kinda something I sensed in his after season interviews. Not sure he got him thinking they'd keep him... thought maybe he'd help but the expiring contract was pretty appealing.
I see no chance of that, but I would love that trade. That's a big upgrade for the Jazz.

Clarkson is okay but he isn't that great of a fit. He plays terrible defense and is a black hole on offense. Sometimes that's nice but often it hurts the team especially in the playoffs. Outside of the two blow out games he was a negative for the team.

Richardson is great fit next to Mitchell on both ends of the court.

I would still prefer to trade Conley but he would be really solid running the second unit and playing some with the starters. If he is playing well like he was in the playoffs he can end games.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/9/5/21332275/the-pistons-dont-need-to-re-sign-christian-wood

Interesting take on Wood from the Pistons side. If they indeed see it as ground zero would they prefer expiring salary and pick for Wood?

Say we offered Ed and TB plus our first that conveys 2 years after the one we owe to Memphis... so 2023 on. Make it top 10 protected for the entire time. Would be a somewhat valuable pick since its a ways out.

Would you do it?
Using those guys we could offer something around 4/55M... Is that enough?

I could see Charlotte or Detroit offering a little more than that but would he rather be in a winning situation if the money was close? Hornets are rumored to want Wiseman and I think they could move to #1 easily if they wanted to.

Even if Wood didn't start you could mix him in to get 25 -30 minutes a game. Games against big teams he could start... if things are working well with him and Rudy then you make a permanent change.

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2020/9/5/21332275/the-pistons-dont-need-to-re-sign-christian-wood

Interesting take on Wood from the Pistons side. If they indeed see it as ground zero would they prefer expiring salary and pick for Wood?

Say we offered Ed and TB plus our first that conveys 2 years after the one we owe to Memphis... so 2023 on. Make it top 10 protected for the entire time. Would be a somewhat valuable pick since its a ways out.

Would you do it?
Using those guys we could offer something around 4/55M... Is that enough?

I could see Charlotte or Detroit offering a little more than that but would he rather be in a winning situation if the money was close? Hornets are rumored to want Wiseman and I think they could move to #1 easily if they wanted to.

Even if Wood didn't start you could mix him in to get 25 -30 minutes a game. Games against big teams he could start... if things are working well with him and Rudy then you make a permanent change.
The fact that Pistons fans arent overly excited to pay Wood should tell you something.

The fact that Pistons fans arent overly excited to pay Wood should tell you something.
Did you read it? It is more about them being so early in the timeline of the rebuild that it would be better to use space to acquire picks versus retaining Wood at any cost.

Its also just one person's take. Not sure ownership/management want to go scorched earth on a rebuild. Kyle Weaver did spend time in OKC so he might be willing to accumulate picks and work for a long-term build.

we cleary weren't full speed without Bojan in the play offs. We need more atletic Players on the bench.
Guys like Bradley and Group of Dleaguers won't make US contenders.
It's time to decide. I think FO will give this squad a chance.

Sign Donovan to his max extension.

Re-sign Jordan Clarkson.

Re-sign Juwan Morgan.

Let Emmanuel Mudiay walk.

Trade Ed Davis to just get off that 5 mill.

Draft a wing like Elijah Hughes or Jaden McDaniels.

Split the MLE on wing sized players with positional versatility. Or use the MLE on one and the BAE on another. Shaq Harrison is a guy I'd like the Jazz to target.

And then we look great next year.

K? Bye.
I like these moves but where is the size improvement. i am not sold on Juwan Morgan being the guy. we need size at SF and PF.

Did you read it? It is more about them being so early in the timeline of the rebuild that it would be better to use space to acquire picks versus retaining Wood at any cost.

Its also just one person's take. Not sure ownership/management want to go scorched earth on a rebuild. Kyle Weaver did spend time in OKC so he might be willing to accumulate picks and work for a long-term build.
Yeah, I read it. If Wood was as good as some here think (people saying he's worth the max lmfao) then they wouldnt want to let him go no matter what.

Where should I place this apparent fact within the cacophony of other evidence that says Detroit is the worst franchise in the nba?
It was also a piece that was saying... what point does it do this rebuild to pay Wood 17M? Not that he isn't worth it generally.

We could guarantee Niang's deal and get the offer to around 4/60-65M if Wood's market really gets crazy. I'd guess he gets $12-14M per year... more than that and I'd start to get nervous. I definitely think he gets more than MLE.

Yeah, I read it. If Wood was as good as some here think (people saying he's worth the max lmfao) then they wouldnt want to let him go no matter what.
He's not worth the max... I'm not sure who is saying that. If he continues to work and develop he could have serious upside. His shooting could also dip and then he's more of a premium backup big. He's obviously a guy I'd gamble on.

He's not quite a unicorn but he has some unicorn tendencies.

He's not worth the max... I'm not sure who is saying that. If he continues to work and develop he could have serious upside. His shooting could also dip and then he's more of a premium backup big. He's obviously a guy I'd gamble on.

He's not quite a unicorn but he has some unicorn tendencies.
Just 9 games, brough.

Interesting article with Lowe and Simmons discussing Jazz deals.

Rudy for #1 and expiring

Rudy for Wiggins and #2

Said Brooklyn was "obvious" but no proposals

Rudy for Myles Turner and Holiday

Rudy to Sacramento for Barnes and a ton of picks

Conley for Griffin and Rose

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app