What's new

The official: The OKC Thunder shop is open!

It just hasnt been the case that Utah trading one player has initiated a trade of another. DA has been pretty consistent that he wants value on his trades and he isnt dealing just to make the team worse.

But it has been rumored that Utah was shopping Sexton at the deadline while not being interested in Lauri offers, so I dont that's true either.

It could be the case that we were already shopping Sexton, doesn't seem like the FO likes him, but if we traded Lauri we would for sure be shopping him. I don't think trading Lauri means that we will not stop shopping Sexton.

I'm confused as to why Lauri to OKC makes the Spurs have interest in Sexton. I would think those two things would be mutually exclusive.
Pretty simple. If we move Lauri then it makes sense to move Sexton as well and he makes a lot of sense for a spurs team that is likely looking to add some key depth pieces. Other teams might also have interest in Sexton but I think if the spurs are willing to offer up the 8th pick then that is probably the top offer.

Pretty simple. If we move Lauri then it makes sense to move Sexton as well and he makes a lot of sense for a spurs team that is likely looking to add some key depth pieces. Other teams might also have interest in Sexton but I think if the spurs are willing to offer up the 8th pick then that is probably the top offer.
So why wouldnt we do that deal and keep Lauri?

It just hasnt been the case that Utah trading one player has initiated a trade of another. DA has been pretty consistent that he wants value on his trades and he isnt dealing just to make the team worse.
Well that is simply not the case. The Gobert trade most definitely initiated the Mitchell trade. Also of course DA wants value from his trades but at the same time the goal was clearly to be worse as well.

So why wouldnt we do that deal and keep Lauri?
They very well could do that. Our discussion was primarily about trading Lauri though and I threw that trade out as an afterthought. The more I think about it though the more I like it.

It could be the case that we were already shopping Sexton, doesn't seem like the FO likes him, but if we traded Lauri we would for sure be shopping him. I don't think trading Lauri means that we will not stop shopping Sexton.
The FO loves Sexton. You can tell that just by the way Ainge speaks about him. In the end though the coach is the one handing out minutes so if the coach doesn't love him then it makes sense to try and find a guy that he does.

Well that is simply not the case. The Gobert trade most definitely initiated the Mitchell trade. Also of course DA wants value from his trades but at the same time the goal was clearly to be worse as well.
Uhh, wut? It did not. They traded Mitchell because the value was insane.

Really not a fan of trading Lauri in any way, shape or form, unless he firmly tells us he will not re-sign.

7 foot guys who shoot 50/40/90 (ish) are just really hard to find. He is a perfect complimentary piece to a true, #1, star option, which we have the assets to acquire should one become available.

IMO, that should remain the focus.

I am on the Keep Lauri train right now. Josh Giddey does absolutely intrigue me though.

Really not a fan of trading Lauri in any way, shape or form, unless he firmly tells us he will not re-sign.

7 foot guys who shoot 50/40/90 (ish) are just really hard to find. He is a perfect complimentary piece to a true, #1, star option, which we have the assets to acquire should one become available.

IMO, that should remain the focus.

The odds of a true #1 becoming available right now in the early to middle portion of his prime is pretty low and we don't have the assets to outbid the rockets or thunder if one does become available. It wouldn't shock me to see Curry, Kawhi, KD or Jimmy Butler hit the market but I think all of them would be a recipe for disaster. How long are you willing to wait in the middle ground before you consider pulling the plug? Lauri's value is probably at an all time high with his salary easy to absorb by multiple teams and so many teams feeling like he could be the piece that could get them over the top. These next 2 drafts also have a pretty big impact on my thinking because I think the top 5 talent in both drafts may be pretty special.

The odds of a true #1 becoming available right now in the early to middle portion of his prime is pretty low and we don't have the assets to outbid the rockets or thunder if one does become available. It wouldn't shock me to see Curry, Kawhi, KD or Jimmy Butler hit the market but I think all of them would be a recipe for disaster. How long are you willing to wait in the middle ground before you consider pulling the plug? Lauri's value is probably at an all time high with his salary easy to absorb by multiple teams and so many teams feeling like he could be the piece that could get them over the top. These next 2 drafts also have a pretty big impact on my thinking because I think the top 5 talent in both drafts may be pretty special.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thought process. If we whiff on building a playoff competitive roster this offseason, and he decides not to accept a 4-year extension, it makes a lot of sense to sell high on Lauri.

I also don't assume we'll trade for an Ant, Luka or Giannis caliber guy. But Durant has been traded. Joel Embiid may be getting antsy. Devin Booker is almost certainly on the move. Jimmy Butler, Paul George, SGA, Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Donovan Mitchell, and Jrue Holiday have all been traded in recent years with multiple "prime" years left.

IMO, it all comes down to guaranteed years of team control we could get for a guy like that in a trade, but if Lauri re-signs, I'm personally willing to wait another ~1-2 years for the right cornerstone piece to come along. Pending OKC's moves, we'd be in the catbird seat given how many picks we could give up.

I don't hate the full-blown rebuild. It's fun to watch young guys develop and daydream about lotto balls bouncing your way for generational guys. But it can also be a recipe to suck for years, and years, and years.

Give me 12 this year, the next two years of Clips picks, and our own pick back, Dieng and Wallace and I’m in. If they want to sub Wallace out for Giddy I take another protected pick.

I’d then work to flip 12 and the protected pick we go for #5 this year to get Castle. I may send Giddy out but if the offers aren’t great he’s worth a shot to see if there is something there.
This is for Lauri, I presume?

Because you're saying moronic stuff.
What did I say that was moronic? After trading Gobert we were not going to keep Mitchell. Of course you had to say something stupid like would you trade him for a single pick as if that would ever be the best offer for a 25yr old Mitchell with 3 more years on his contract. Just a stupid thing to say but you do that a lot.

Back