What's new

The oil spill...

I really feel for the shrimpers and fishermen who are basically "fired" now that their livelihood is ruined. Is BP going to pay for their damages?

What about the hotels and restaurants that are now going to suffer because of the lack of tourism?

It's amazing how much this is going to effect the lives of so many people. It extends more than just the environmental concerns. How much ultimately, is this going to cost the US economy?

What about the long term effects of this accident? Do you think the US pushes for more green technology? Are new regulations going to be passed and actually enforced (not slept with) this time?

I really feel for the shrimpers and fishermen who are basically "fired" now that their livelihood is ruined. Is BP going to pay for their damages?

What about the hotels and restaurants that are now going to suffer because of the lack of tourism?

It's amazing how much this is going to effect the lives of so many people. It extends more than just the environmental concerns. How much ultimately, is this going to cost the US economy?

What about the long term effects of this accident? Do you think the US pushes for more green technology? Are new regulations going to be passed and actually enforced (not slept with) this time?

You have nothing to worry about as long as you can make sense of these 3 facts: (1) BP has vowed to pay all 'legitimate' claims. (2) On May 3, current CEO Tony Hayward stated, 'This is not our accident, but it is our responsibility.' (3) In the most open and shut oil disaster of the last 30 years, Exxon settled on the Valdez after 21 years. For extra credit, you can ask any of the good people from Neodesha, Kansas how responsive BP in paying for damages.

What about the hotels and restaurants that are now going to suffer because of the lack of tourism? ...

they're building miles of sand berms and "islands" to try to protect the shoreline - - maybe these would be a nice spot for a vacation campsite?

as part of their "penance" I think it's only fitting that higher level BP executives should spend their vacations on the affected coastline for the next five years or so

Last edited:
Great comments guys.

I especially liked Moe's about the BP execs having to spend vacations on the affected coastlines.

I saw this the other day and laughed. I don't think I've ever seen a President talk like this during an interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBSotezfc4&feature=popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghFBt-fXmw#asskickingsoundsbetterautotuned

I saw this the other day and laughed. I don't think I've ever seen a President talk like this during an interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXBSotezfc4&feature=popular

From what I recall Truman had a mouth and half on him. I'm pretty sure I recall LBJ being pretty earthy as well. Back then however the press didn't print or show everything the president said.

I guess no one is going to work with me here so...they put a wedding ring on it and it stopped putting out. :rimshot:

I guess no one is going to work with me here so...they put a wedding ring on it and it stopped putting out. :rimshot:

simps_boourns.JPG

"Boo-urns"

Huffington is pure goo, but she happens to be right in this instance, even if she doesn't actually understand why. Oil gets drilled in the US (and around the world) by way of 'leases' granted by the government for big money. Not to digress, but oil companies have utterly plundered third world nations for decades by paying off corrupt dictators for these same leases. Ironically, they leave the countries poorer for having found oil, with vast environmental damage they can't pay for, and the presumed prosperity of oil becomes national tragedy. Ecuatorial Guinea and Ecuador are two glaring examples of this, but there are many others.

In this case, BP (or any energy company) had to negotiate its leases to drill in the Gulf through the Minerals Management Service, a bureau of the Department of the Interior. Like nearly every major government agency (DOD, the FDA, etc.), the MMS is a revolving door between private industry and public service. Thus, execs in the private sector rotate in, rubber stamp **** for industry, and then rotate out to the green pastures of lucrative board positions or fancy title jobs.

The MMS has already come through a scandal. The royalties it oversees leaves lots of untidy room for kickbacks. Relative to BP, the Bush administration wanted to streamline oil and gas drilling projects. To that end, it exempted BP from full environmental reviews of its projects by way of a 'categorized exclusion' in 2009 which led to the Horizon rig.

It's more of a bureaucratic nightmare to add on a room to your house than it is to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

Huffington is pure goo, but she happens to be right in this instance, even if she doesn't actually understand why. Oil gets drilled in the US (and around the world) by way of 'leases' granted by the government for big money. Not to digress, but oil companies have utterly plundered third world nations for decades by paying off corrupt dictators for these same leases. Ironically, they leave the countries poorer for having found oil, with vast environmental damage they can't pay for, and the presumed prosperity of oil becomes national tragedy. Ecuatorial Guinea and Ecuador are two glaring examples of this, but there are many others.

In this case, BP (or any energy company) had to negotiate its leases to drill in the Gulf through the Minerals Management Service, a bureau of the Department of the Interior. Like nearly every major government agency (DOD, the FDA, etc.), the MMS is a revolving door between private industry and public service. Thus, execs in the private sector rotate in, rubber stamp **** for industry, and then rotate out to the green pastures of lucrative board positions or fancy title jobs.

The MMS has already come through a scandal. The royalties it oversees leaves lots of untidy room for kickbacks. Relative to BP, the Bush administration wanted to streamline oil and gas drilling projects. To that end, it exempted BP from full environmental reviews of its projects by way of a 'categorized exclusion' in 2009 which led to the Horizon rig.

It's more of a bureaucratic nightmare to add on a room to your house than it is to drill for oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

Wrong, the Sierra Club and its cronies wanted no drilling whatsoever. The compromise they had to settle for was companies like BP drilling in depths of 5,000 feet miles off the shoreline. Maybe if we were actually drilling in places where we knew oil was yet can't now this problem could have been avoided. Instead, China and Cuba are taking full advantage and taking the oil that we could be drilling for and getting now.

Oh and this is not defending BP. They can go bankrupt for all I care. Oil companies in general disgust me. Arianna Huffington is a liar and overall weirdo.

Ok, so I haven't followed the story closely but my boss next door is watching Fox News and it sounds distinctly like they're defending BP and blaming Obama for demonizing the company.

Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on?

Ok, so I haven't followed the story closely but my boss next door is watching Fox News and it sounds distinctly like they're defending BP and blaming Obama for demonizing the company.

Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on?

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas apologized to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the Obama "shakedown".

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2660

Big oil and their cronies suck balls.