What's new

The R.I.P. Thread

Secalbright.jpg

Taylor Hawkins.

I'm a dunce as far as music is concerned and didn't know any individual in the Foo Fighters except that Dave Grohl was on Hot Ones a few weeks ago pitching the band's movie "Studio 666." Dave Grohl seemed like a genuinely good guy so my wife and I (she knew who he was because she's not dumb about that stuff like I am) went to Brewvies to watch the movie. It was a cheesy gore fest basically as like an ode to bad 80's gore movies but it was fun enough.

Anyway, very sad. I feel like I discovered him just to watch him be taken away.

• Sad
Reactions: RJF
He's listed as Rolling Stone's top 100 drummer, noob.

It's hilarious how ignorant people are to Barker's talent.
I hope this helps you realize how great of a drummer Barker is.

Sad day in music today for sure.

Think about it. Both Taylor and Dave wanted a closer glimpse or Barker. The fact that Dave let Taylor drum (a lil joke) and that he was a fan of Barker should probably tell you something.

Musicians know greatness regardless if it's not their cup of tea.

Taylor was a hell of a drummer. He will be missed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-165556_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220326-165556_Instagram.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 12
BTW, @JazzGal , I just noticed way back at the beginning of this thread, you mentioned a bunch who affected you, and David Ogden Stiers was on the list.

I wanted you to know, I actually did some work with him, he lived in Newport, OR for the last several years, and worked getting his network set up. He was an absolutely lovely man in person - although I didn't recognise him at first, on the phone, because of course he didn't sound like Maj Winchester, and he just said his name was David Stiers, but he pronounced it like "steers", and with no Ogden, of course, so it took me a bit. But he was a total sweetheart, and we got to talking about other stuff, and then whiskey, and he asked me what my favorite was, and I told him Lagavulin 16 yr old, and a few days later there was a bottle of it at my office for me - this is a $100 bottle of fine scotch, mind you.

He actually was the conductor for the Newport Symphony for several years. Never got to see him do it, altho I don't know enough to have been able to tell if he was any good at it.

I don't mind telling you I did cry a little bit when he died.

BTW, @JazzGal , I just noticed way back at the beginning of this thread, you mentioned a bunch who affected you, and David Ogden Stiers was on the list.

I wanted you to know, I actually did some work with him, he lived in Newport, OR for the last several years, and worked getting his network set up. He was an absolutely lovely man in person - although I didn't recognise him at first, on the phone, because of course he didn't sound like Maj Winchester, and he just said his name was David Stiers, but he pronounced it like "steers", and with no Ogden, of course, so it took me a bit. But he was a total sweetheart, and we got to talking about other stuff, and then whiskey, and he asked me what my favorite was, and I told him Lagavulin 16 yr old, and a few days later there was a bottle of it at my office for me - this is a $100 bottle of fine scotch, mind you.

He actually was the conductor for the Newport Symphony for several years. Never got to see him do it, altho I don't know enough to have been able to tell if he was any good at it.

What a hell of a post. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app