What's new

The Return of AB

Not saying Trey is a great defender, but he'd probably stay in front of his man better than Burks would as a PG. On the offensive side, Burke also commits few TO's. I think Alec would even have a hard time bringing the ball up the court against most PG's.

I might sound like a broken record because i have said this so often but.......... burks does better agains smaller quicker players who handle the ball allot (point guards). Some of his best defensive performances have come against lillard, tony parker, and cp3

and of course it's easy for Trey to bring the ball up the court nobody ****in guards him. They leave him open hoping he wastes the clock and chucks a brick.

Not saying Trey is a great defender, but he'd probably stay in front of his man better than Burks would as a PG. On the offensive side, Burke also commits few TO's. I think Alec would even have a hard time bringing the ball up the court against most PG's.

Not that I endorse Burks at PG, but this is a comically bad statement. Burks played PG in his second season and there was no uptick in turnovers. Of course the elite defensive ones like Wall and Bledsoe would bother him, they bother any PG.

I might sound like a broken record because i have said this so often but.......... burks does better agains smaller quicker players who handle the ball allot (point guards). Some of his best defensive performances have come against lillard, tony parker, and cp3
I agree with this. Burks' biggest defensive weakness is off the ball. He gets lost. I'm not sure he can handle defending PG's, but I don't think he'd be any worse than Burke.

Who guards the opposing PG?
There are probably 20 starting PG's who would go off for 30 pts against that lineup. Alec is NOT a PG. And neither are Hood or Hayward.
And they don't do the same thing when Burke is defending them?

Opposing PG were licking their chops every time Burke was defending them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

And they don't do the same thing when Burke is defending them?

Opposing PG were licking their chops every time Burke was defending them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

They weren't just licking their chops. Dudes were having career nights against him on the regular.

Not that I endorse Burks at PG, but this is a comically bad statement. Burks played PG in his second season and there was no uptick in turnovers. Of course the elite defensive ones like Wall and Bledsoe would bother him, they bother any PG.

Was he starting at PG?
Pretty sure he was playing against backups, which is a whole different animal. Burks is not a starting PG in the league.

That is an ugly Jazz shirt. It looks like a maternity bathing suit glued to a tank top with the note slapped on top.

But if anyone could pull that off it is fish....maybe trout.

Was that redundant?

Just picked up some more jazz swag tonight.
f5a895775a614c98ddaffc95cec8a276.jpg

screw the haters your muscles will pop in that beater.

please include pic with girls hanging all over you later.

Was he starting at PG?
Pretty sure he was playing against backups, which is a whole different animal. Burks is not a starting PG in the league.
Again. Lillard, cp3, tony parker. Those guys be pretty good me thinks

All from only 2014/2015 season... 27 games!
Great stuff. thx for sharing
This shocked me.
I didn't realize it was just from last year the first couple times I watched it.
Then when I went YouTube and watched it I saw the title and was shocked.
Only 27 games, with a bad shoulder, produced all those highlights?

This shocked me.
I didn't realize it was just from last year the first couple times I watched it.
Then when I went YouTube and watched it I saw the title and was shocked.
Only 27 games, with a bad shoulder, produced all those highlights?
U see what I'm talkin' bout rite now when I say the MJ of SLC?

I post therefore I am...

The most exciting part about the return of Burks, aside from the inevitable highlight reel finishes, is the potential affect that it is likely going to have on the bench (& in return, the team itself). Regardless of who starts, Burks' return (assuming they don't attempt to start him at PG) assures that one of he or Hood will be running the second unit. The most impressive thing about last year's 19-10 finish, aside from the historically good defense, was the fact that they we're able to do so with little to no depth. Without even taking into consideration the potential long-term ramifications, the Exum injury is extremely unfortunate as it delays us from seeing what that starting lineup would have been able to accomplish with an actual bench behind it throughout an entire season for at least a year. Having Burks, or even Hood, run the second unit offense would have allowed Burke to act as a spot up shooter rather than the primary ball-handler (which is the role that the numbers appear to suggest that he is most affective in).

On the surface, the Exum injury doesn't seem to be as devastating (to next season's prospects at least) as the typical starting PG going down would appear, as Exum's true impact isn't reflected in his statistics, but it completely alters the makeup of the starting lineup (& in return, the rest of the rotation). This, imo, is the reason I believe that the FO will attempt to acquire a similar style of PG (one who is a defensive asset & doesn't look to score 1st like Temple) in order to stick to the formula that worked for them at the end of last year (unless Neto proves capable of filling that role). I don't believe that the FO is willing to commit valuable long-term assets to the PG position because 1) they still believe Exum is the PG of the future & 2) they had success with an ineffective offensive PG who played great defense. Assuming they are able to acquire an Exum-caliber (performance wise) PG, the team still has the opportunity to replicate what they accomplished after the all-star break.

PG/Burke/(1 of)Neto or Cotton
Hood/Burks/Millsap
Hayward/Ingles
Favors/Booker/Lyles
Gobert/Pleiss

If the opportunity to acquire a defensive minded PG at a low-cost presents itself, I expect the FO to make a trade. If not, I'm sure that (like all good FO's) they will adapt & attempt a different approach, but I'm sure they would prefer to see if adding Burks & depth (Neto, Lyles, Pleiss) to what worked last year is enough to propel them into the upper echelon of the Western Confrence. To get back to the original point, Burks' return (along with replacing Exum in the short-term) is going to determine how affective the team can be with more than a 6-7 man rotation (or whatever they had last year). With the right acquisition (which may turn out to be Neto), this team still has the opportunity to be as affective (if not more so) than they were last season.

Last edited:
The most exciting part about the return of Burks, aside from the inevitable highlight reel finishes, is the potential affect that it is likely going to have on the bench (& in return, the team itself). Regardless of who starts, Burks' return (assuming they don't attempt to start him at PG) assures that one of he or Hood will be running the second unit. The most impressive thing about last year's 19-10 finish, aside from the historically good defense, was the fact that they we're able to do so with little to no depth. Without even taking into consideration the potential long-term ramifications, the Exum injury is extremely unfortunate as it delays us from seeing what that starting lineup would have been able to accomplish with an actual bench behind it throughout an entire season for at least a year. Having Burks, or even Hood, run the second unit offense would have allowed Burke to act as a spot up shooter rather than the primary ball-handler (which is the role that the numbers appear to suggest that he is most affective in).

On the surface, the Exum injury doesn't seem to be as devastating (to next season's prospects at least) as the typical starting PG going down would appear, as Exum's true impact isn't reflected in his statistics, but it completely alters the makeup of the starting lineup (& in return, the rest of the rotation). This, imo, is the reason I believe that the FO will attempt to acquire a similar style of PG (one who is a defensive asset & doesn't look to score 1st like Temple) in order to stick to the formula that worked for them at the end of last year (unless Neto proves capable of filling that role). I don't believe that the FO is willing to commit valuable long-term assets to the PG position because 1) they still believe Exum is the PG of the future & 2) they had success with an ineffective offensive PG who played great defense. Assuming they are able to acquire an Exum-caliber (performance wise) PG, the team still has the opportunity to replicate what they accomplished after the all-star break.

PG/Burke/(1 of)Neto or Cotton
Hood/Burks/Millsap
Hayward/Ingles
Favors/Booker/Lyles
Gobert/Pleiss

If the opportunity to acquire a defensive minded PG at a low-cost presents itself, I expect the FO to make a trade. If not, I'm sure that (like all good FO's) they will adapt & attempt a different approach, but I'm sure they would prefer to see if adding Burks & depth (Neto, Lyles, Pleiss) to what worked last year is enough to propel them into the upper echelon of the Western Confrence. To get back to the original point, Burks' return (along with replacing Exum in the short-term) is going to determine how affective the team can be with more than a 6-7 man rotation (or whatever they had last year. With the right acquisition (which may turn out to be Neto), this team still has the opportunity to be as affective (if not more so) than they were.
Good post

1. I do realize that he has made huge improvements regarding his 3-pt shooting, I just believe that (depending on who the PG ends up being) that the starting unit needs a volume 3-pt shooter in the lineup, which Hood (imo) is more capable of providing than Burks.

All good points. One other consideration is that the Jazz may need a facilitating PNR wing on the floor most of the game -- Rodney or Hayward could take similar roles with Rodney off the bench. Would provide for nice continuity.

All good points. One other consideration is that the Jazz may need a facilitating PNR wing on the floor most of the game -- Rodney or Hayward could take similar roles with Rodney off the bench. Would provide for nice continuity.

Agreed. If Hood does wind up as the starting SG, I see Snyder bringing Burks in early in order to consistently have that facilitating wing on the floor at all times. It also helps that Ingles is capable of sharing those duties.