What's new

The return of TroutBum!!!

Why don't we just kidnap her, like in the old country? ;) Kidnap first, send goats to placate her father and brothers later. Also, check she's not the same fis as you beforehand.

LOOOOOOOL I'm dying. 'Fis'. Hahahaha!!!!

I never knew they said fis in serbo-Croatian as well. Then again, a good chunk of Albanian words were taken from other languages, definitely including serbo-Croatian as well

^ unless its strictly Albanian, and you just know your Balkan culture like the back of your hand

Hold up girlfriend. You can read Albanian?

Very, very impressed with how well-read you seem to be.

I can't read Albanian per se. I know the pronunciation well, I have a passing knowledge of grammar, and I can get the gist of what the text is talking about within the very narrow field of history and cultural tradition. I'd have very little idea of what a book of fiction in Albanian is about.

Hold up girlfriend. You can read Albanian?

Very, very impressed with how well-read you seem to be.

My parents are both from Kosovo. Dad is from Deçan, mom is from Gjakovë. They both lived rurally, hence my Albanian dialect that I've learned is an extension of that. They used to make me read it a bunch when I was younger, so I can still read it-- it's just hard really being 100% fluent in it when there aren't any real schools or courses to keep my language-speaking proficient.

Albanian history is definitely interesting though. I can definitely see why you're so into it. I feel like there is still lots to be learned about Albanians-- sadly, where I'm headed with my career might not be able to elucidate this for others, but I definitely see more and more people trying to understand their culture and social structure.

I can't read Albanian per se. I know the pronunciation well, I have a passing knowledge of grammar, and I can get the gist of what the text is talking about within the very narrow field of history and cultural tradition. I'd have very little idea of what a book of fiction in Albanian is about.

I'm writing my MCAT in two weeks time, but if you ever wanna have something deciphered, definitely let me know. I'd be glad to help.

A cool excerpt from this link (https://postimg.org/image/e3cfufqid/) that you shared:

But in this way he breaks his 'besa'--[one of] the main people/poets of our [Albanian] renaissance, Andon Zako Cajupi (1866-1930), from the area surrounding Gjirokastër-- his lines(??) have the power and the call for war, and holy liberators:

'grab the rifles with your hands
and exchange 'besa'
Albania will be saved
[a single] turk you should not 'mbesë' (maybe the quote is inferring that the turks should not be exchanging a besa with the albanians aka don't spare a single turkish soul...??

Nice call. Yep.... I'm white, hazel eyes, long black hair, a couple piercings, a few tats. Yeah typical new age Mormon.

Still doesn't change the fact that from what I've seen, all of Utah outside the SLC Metro looks like they're descended from 3 guys from Denmark.

These are apparently the 2011 Utah Valley HS All-Stars.
u32_Valley-All-Stars.jpg

I couldn't tell these dudes apart if my life depended on it.

Still doesn't change the fact that from what I've seen, all of Utah outside the SLC Metro looks like they're descended from 3 guys from Denmark.

These are apparently the 2011 Utah Valley HS All-Stars.
u32_Valley-All-Stars.jpg

I couldn't tell these dudes apart if my life depended on it.

Only 3 of those kids look Mormon.

Also, WTF is your point here Jim??

My take on Trout (admittedly don't know well);

A guy that is stuck in worldly purgatory. Caught in between clealry understanding how to fit into normal society and obtaining the discipline and intellect to do so... yet entirely lacking the desire to conform completely. Everyone feels they don't conform.. a certain level of rebellion or non-conformity.. but Trout is truly an old soul that sincerely desires a uniqueness of self. I respect that.

And I submit that someone, like Trout, given an opportunity to represent us and serve at a high level, will rise above what we perceive as being different into something far different than we ever expected.. and it will be good.

I cast my lot with Trout.

My take on Trout (admittedly don't know well);

A guy that is stuck in worldly purgatory. Caught in between clealry understanding how to fit into normal society and obtaining the discipline and intellect to do so... yet entirely lacking the desire to conform completely. Everyone feels they don't conform.. a certain level of rebellion or non-conformity.. but Trout is truly an old soul that sincerely desires a uniqueness of self. I respect that.

And I submit that someone, like Trout, given an opportunity to represent us and serve at a high level, will rise above what we perceive as being different into something far different than we ever expected.. and it will be good.

I cast my lot with Trout.

Hmm.. how can you say whether that "something" will be good or bad, if it's gonna be so "different" and not something we "expected"?

Hmm.. how can you say whether that "something" will be good or bad, if it's gonna be so "different" and not something we "expected"?

Excellent point (not really).

Let me say it differently.

I see things in people.. always have. If Trout gets a chance, he'll make a difference. That difference will be 'for the people.'