What's new

The unrepentant Rudy Gobert support thread

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Nobody has more defined Jazz basketball since the departure of Stockton and Malone than has Rudy. Nobody. All along the way, Rudy has done the little things, and the big things, but especially a massive amalgam of little things that don't register on the cognitive radar as much as they should. When we started ascending back into competitiveness, Rudy was undeniably recognized, but a large light had shined upon Gordon Hayward. Hayward, by outside appearance, was the star of the team. He sold the merchandise. The jerseys. The most popular haircut when the Jazz gave out free Hayward or Gobert cuts was the Hayward. But Rudy knew this was his team. As Hayward waffled with signing an extension, Rudy signed his and then went on a tear to communicate that he had made his decision. That he was focused on the here-and-now. That this was his team. Then came the Stayward campaign and all the focus, both locally and nationally, that went toward the emphasis or importance of Hayward to the team. Then the Hayward was gone, and we were written off. Gobert was injured and people were talking about landing Doncic. Then Rudy came back and willed us back to the playoffs and another post-season victory. Mitchell was able to jump in and resume the Hayward role but magnify that -- to be the national face of the franchise, the guy talked about on ESPN, the guy dropping 40 as a rookie, and rightfully so. But this team only goes as far as Rudy does. And now there's an added focus on all off-court popularity that is a dream for the business side -- the publicity, the ESPN coverage, the shoe deals, etc. We all revel in that, and that's okay. But we often lose sight of what's most important and fail to recognize that all those other issues are only appendages to success, and are not the ends themselves.

Donovan has been great, and this is not to take away from any of that. But Rudy Gobert is owed his due. While everyone has been out busting champagne bottles of celebration, Rudy has been shoveling ****. The front office passively took a gigantic **** on his chest. Even Jazz fans are focused more on not overpaying Gobert than on what the **** show will be like if he were gone. This man has ascending himself into the realm of the all-time Jazz greats in Stockton, Malone, and Sloan, and not just through talent or ability. Rudy has earned his keep. The way he has been thrown under the bus is unacceptable, and the passage of time since this that has enabled a too-large segment of Jazz nation to consider any other option is unbelievable.

I have always been Jazz first, but because how synonymous I view "what's good for Rudy" with "what's good for the Jazz," I will sink with this ship. Of course, "what's good for the Jazz" can mean many things. But in its purest form of "wining games and contending for championships," what's best for the Jazz is Rudy. IDGAF about marketability.

**** the front office.

If you question this, it's because you hate Rudy and need to see the error in your ways.

AK47 was the embodiment of Jazz basketball before his mental breakdown.
I almost mentioned him (as a contrast). There’s a huge difference between him and Gobert and it’s the mental component.

Oh, and **** the FO for trading Crowder. DL and his tunnel vision.

I support Rudy, but I think there is some truth to the fact that he didn't always give his best effort when he wasn't being fed... of course we should have been feeding him more... but the front office would rather try and make the Conley trade look better than give Rudy his pick and roll soulmate Joe.

The Conley trade has been a disaster... the magnitude of which I could not have predicted.

I support Rudy, but I think there is some truth to the fact that he didn't always give his best effort when he wasn't being fed... of course we should have been feeding him more... but the front office would rather try and make the Conley trade look better than give Rudy his pick and roll soulmate Joe.

The Conley trade has been a disaster... the magnitude of which I could not have predicted.

100% he quit a lot during the last 20 or so games of the season. Ever since the big Dallas win he's been mediocre.

100% he quit a lot during the last 20 or so games of the season. Ever since the big Dallas win he's been mediocre.
Also want to reiterate that he was somewhat provoked... as I watched guys miss him so often when he was open... just to shoot ****** shots.

I've not ever felt that from him before... not that he was mailing it in... just he wasn't doing the extra little bit... and that extra little bit really matters for us.

*Condley

Oh, and **** the FO for trading Crowder. DL and his tunnel vision.

DL and his slow "patient" approach has been a giant issue. He was too slow to move us away from Ricky/Rudy/Favs... too slow moving us to a shooting 4... then he kinda boxed himself in on the Conley trade but really DM should be in our PG spot with Ingles operating as de facto pg... it just made sense from a length perspective. Not gonna mention Dante because it turned into Jordan Clarkson and I love me some JC.

Has done some good things for sure... but also has some fairly obvious blunders that I think could have been avoided. I feel like there is no way he moves on from Conley and he will refuse to move him out of the starting lineup... when it is obvious that going a different direction would likely be better (depends on what we could get... but I feel like we could get something more useful).

Crowder may not have been a huge upgrade over Niang on the court, but intensity and locker room stuff matters... plus you need one guy that just wants to fight people... Jae liked to fight people.

DL and his slow "patient" approach has been a giant issue. He was too slow to move us away from Ricky/Rudy/Favs... too slow moving us to a shooting 4... then he kinda boxed himself in on the Conley trade but really DM should be in our PG spot with Ingles operating as de facto pg... it just made sense from a length perspective. Not gonna mention Dante because it turned into Jordan Clarkson and I love me some JC.

Has done some good things for sure... but also has some fairly obvious blunders that I think could have been avoided. I feel like there is no way he moves on from Conley and he will refuse to move him out of the starting lineup... when it is obvious that going a different direction would likely be better (depends on what we could get... but I feel like we could get something more useful).

Crowder may not have been a huge upgrade over Niang on the court, but intensity and locker room stuff matters... plus you need one guy that just wants to fight people... Jae liked to fight people.

Rubio was only here two years. His 40% from 3 from January 1 on and a playoff series win vs OKC in year one left a lot of hope that he was the point guard we needed and that he’d turned a corner from deep.

That wasn’t the case.

Rubio was only here two years. His 40% from 3 from January 1 on and a playoff series win vs OKC in year one left a lot of hope that he was the point guard we needed and that he’d turned a corner from deep.

That wasn’t the case.
It wasn't just the Rubio thing... he did other good stuff... like sub him in for Mike right now as a starter and I think our team is better. The issue was Ricky/Rudy/Favs. The numbers showed it was one too many non-shooters... we rolled with it for a while.

We could have tried to get a pg that could shoot and match him up with Favs and Rudy... maybe that works. But nah... we stuck with the 3 non-shooter thing so long. Or you can run DM with Ingles in the backcourt and a shooting 3 with Favs and Rudy.

That's really my issue... we stick with **** that isn't ideal for too long.