What's new

**** these losing piece of mother ****ing trash ****ing ****ers

To be fair, the Jazz have never done a proper rebuild. Tanking one year ever - after pissing away two years on the Al Jefferson teams - doesn’t count.

Thats the other thing. We all know that hard core tanking always results in championships. Just look at all these examples:

The ONLY thing complete rebuilds and tanking ensures is that your team will suck really bad for quite a while and you will get good draft picks

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Thats the other thing. We all know that hard core tanking always results in championships. Just look at all these examples:

The ONLY thing complete rebuilds and tanking ensures is that your team will suck really bad for quite a while and you will get good draft picks

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
The Warriors and Cavs disagree, for starters. Also famously, the Spurs.

The Thunder who drafted three MVPs in the top-4 of the draft get a mention here also.

Tanking isn’t itself the problem, bad management is. That’s what separates, say, the Thunder from the Kings (who don’t actually tank very often).

The Cavs didn't get a championship until Lebron had come back as a free agent. The Spurs tanked for one year with an already-talented roster. The Warriors did pick up Curry and Thompson across three years of tanking, and still tanked another year to only get Barnes out of it. Four years for one great player and one very good one.

The Thunder who drafted three MVPs in the top-4 of the draft get a mention here also.
Championships: 0

Tanking isn’t itself the problem, bad management is. That’s what separates, say, the Thunder from the Kings (who don’t actually tank very often).
However, it often does not lead to championships.

The Cavs didn't get a championship until Lebron had come back as a free agent. The Spurs tanked for one year with an already-talented roster. The Warriors did pick up Curry and Thompson across three years of tanking, and still tanked another year to only get Barnes out of it. Four years for one great player and one very good one.

Championships: 0

I know you can be a bit of a purist, but I thought you were above magical thinking.

Do you or anyone else really think that the thing that separates dynasties from teams that have never won is essentially a curse for throwing games?

What, then, is the prime driver of dynasties if it’s not elite talent? Because guess who the **** else has no rings.

I wanna address this in particular: winning a championship is a rare thing for a franchise. They usually occur in runs/dynasties, which means that the odds of winning one if past is prologue is even lower than dumb luck would suggest.

Nobody wins rings from dumb luck, which is exactly how a team drafts a Jokic or Gobert where they do (and they end up where they do because of limitations that they even more rarely transcend). Elite talent - the Jordans, Lebrons, Shaqs - are on the whole concentrated at the top of the draft.

But sure, let’s by golly hope we land in some luck and keep running back a broken build forever and stay on the treadmill. Maybe we’ll be the first team ever to find a generational talent on the scrap heap since that’s where the Jazz are relegated to searching.

Lastly - and I cannot stress this enough - the Jazz famously have 0 championships so all of this rhetoric about how tanking is bad rings hollow.

I know you can be a bit of a purist, but I thought you were above magical thinking.
Thank you.

Do you or anyone else really think that the thing that separates dynasties from teams that have never won is essentially a curse for throwing games?
I was only pointing out the limited effectiveness of tanking, not making a moral point.

What, then, is the prime driver of dynasties if it’s not elite talent? Because guess who the **** else has no rings.
No single thing. Tanking can help, but it also takes good drafting in later positions (Draymond Green in the second round, for example), good free agent recruitment, and not a small amount of luck.

The spurs? They traded robinson away for a full rebuild and picks? Huh, I thought robinson got hurt.
cavs didn't trade away a couple of all stars for picks and then tank and then immediately win a chip. They won a chip when lebron came back the second time around. Hit in free agency with a player who wanted to win one for his home team.
Which all stars did the warriors trade away when they blew it up to start their rebuild?
How about the thunder? Who were the superstars in seattle that they traded away to begin their rebuild? How many championships did the thunder win anyways?

The spurs? They traded robinson away for a full rebuild and picks? Huh, I thought robinson got hurt.
cavs didn't trade away a couple of all stars for picks and then tank and then immediately win a chip. They won a chip when lebron came back the second time around. Hit in free agency with a player who wanted to win one for his home team.
Which all stars did the warriors trade away when they blew it up to start their rebuild?
How about the thunder? Who were the superstars in seattle that they traded away to begin their rebuild? How many championships did the thunder win anyways?
I know y'all want to grasp at whatever you can to rationalize this curse you've convinced yourselves exist, but the fact of the matter is that talent on the whole is concentrated heavily at the top of a draft and elite talent is what separates the fortunes of franchises. You can add all the caveats you want in the world and it won't change that.

To go line by line:
-The Spurs tanked. Everyone knows they tanked. You're now moving the goalposts.
-The Thunder amassed the talent needed to win and then bungled at the goal line with the Harden debacle. I thought my special mention of them made clear that I am aware they didn't win a ring but maybe I needed to spell that out more.
-Ray Allen is who the then Supersonics traded to bottom out.
-The Warriors traded away Monta Ellis for an injured Andrew Bogut who was out for the year after shutting down Steph Curry. They then tanked their asses off which everyone on earth knows. If your point is that tanking (I don't know what else to call it, but) curses franchises, well, it obviously didn't. If you wanna split hairs about how they didn't get good players in the draft, I don't know about that. They got one of the best shooters to ever live in the lottery from being bad (to pair with the greatest shooter to ever live by being even worse), then tanked their asses off for Harrison Barnes who was an integral piece in their run and the emergence of the death lineup that hinged on a hybrid forward (that could play two different positions, and who also went on to score in the high teens on teams less loaded with talent) and a unicorn "big" that was quick and strong enough to guard 5 positions well (who they got with their early 2nd rounder from - you got it - tanking). But if the point is that the Warriors didn't tank most of those years and were just bad because they ran their organization poorly, then I have lost the trail as to what the ultimate point of this discussion is.

So is the point that it's better to be bad on accident? I don't quite get that.

Last edited:
I Hope the Jazz win the next 3 straight and shut us up.

Remember Red Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Wait wrong speech.

Let me tell you something my friend Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. Its got no use on the inside. You better get used to that idea.

I know y'all want to grasp at whatever you can to rationalize this curse you've convinced yourselves exist, but the fact of the matter is that talent on the whole is concentrated heavily at the top of a draft and elite talent is what separates the fortunes of franchises. You can add all the caveats you want in the world and it won't change that.
I was simply pointing out that those who want to trade rudy and donovan for a bunch of picks and young players and tank will likely be disappointed as it almost certainly wont lead to a championship. Im not even saying im against that plan. Just saying that the best way to win a championship is to have a really good team with some all star players and then make that team better.
Having a really good team with all star players and then getting rid of those all star players and becoming a very very bad team for a while could also result in a championship but is probably the less likely way to attain a championship. It took malone and stockton a long time to get to a finals. We would have been clamoring to trade them and blow it up before they ever even got to a finals nowadays. Also in your post you say that elite talent is what we want with our top draft picks. Its likely that we dont get better players with our top picks than gobert and donovan. They are pretty close to elite talent already.

Im good with either plan to be honest. I realized that both plans almost certainly wont lead to a championship. Im one of the few fan that is pretty happy with having a really good team year after year. I loved the stockton and malone years. I loved the dwill boozer AK memo years. I loved the donovan and rudy years. No championships in any of those years though. Just lots of good times and joy as a jazz fan for me. The years in between those teams I loved much less. The corbin jefferson tinsley years were less fun for me. The mclead palacio years were also less fun for me. They also didn't win championships but were much less enjoyable for me. Even when we traded Dwill for picks and had 2 top 3 picks (Favors, and kanter) plus a couple other lottery picks (hayward, burke and burks) that team (core4) didn't really come very close to a title. Exum was another top pick that didn't bring us very close to a title.
Thats all. No biggie. Im not trying to make some massive point.

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind that this is the most awful team to watch/be a fan of for me. No team loses in a more disappointing and humiliating way and the way they respond to such failures is embarrassing.

To go line by line:
-The Spurs tanked. Everyone knows they tanked. You're now moving the goalposts.
-The Thunder amassed the talent needed to win and then bungled at the goal line with the Harden debacle. I thought my special mention of them made clear that I am aware they didn't win a ring but maybe I needed to spell that out more.
-Ray Allen is who the then Supersonics traded to bottom out.
-The Warriors traded away Monta Ellis for an injured Andrew Bogut who was out for the year after shutting down Steph Curry. They then tanked their asses off which everyone on earth knows. If your point is that tanking (I don't know what else to call it, but) curses franchises, well, it obviously didn't. If you wanna split hairs about how they didn't get good players in the draft, I don't know about that. They got one of the best shooters to ever live from being bad in the lottery, then tanked their asses off for Harrison Barnes who was an integral piece in their run and the emergence of the death lineup that hinged on a hybrid forward (that could play two different positions, and who also went on to score in the high teens on teams less loaded with talent) and a unicorn "big" that was quick and strong enough to guard 5 positions well (who they got with their early 2nd rounder from - you got it - tanking). But if the point is that the Warriors didn't tank most of those years and were just bad because they ran their organization poorly, then I have lost the trail as to what the ultimate point of this discussion is.
I didn't move the goalposts. I was never simply talking about tanking. I was also talking about trading away all stars and then tanking. You think we can tank with gobert and donovan? Im totally down with going the spurs route. Lets hold gobert and mitchell out next season and tank and then win the lottery and draft a player that is better than both of them and top 10 player of all time. Sounds good to me. But what really good teams traded away their all stars for a total rebuild and then tanked and then won a championship within, say, 7 years later? Give me a list. You say the sonics traded away ray allen. Was this just a year after they had the best record in the nba? Or were they not really a good team anyway when they made that trade? Same with warriors and monta. Where they a number one seed a year before trading him away?
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said I was against tanking. I was rooting for the tank in the corbin years silly. I never said tanking curses franchises. I never said I dont think we should tank. I simply said that for those who are like "I hate having this really good competitive playoff team year after year because I want to win a championship so lets trade rudy and donovan and rebuild and tank and then we will get our championship" are almost certainly going to be disappointed as the most likely scenario is that we end up not even being as good as we are right now and we will most likely remember these gobert and rudy years fondly and longingly.

Last edited:
No I was simply talking about tanking. I was also talking about trading away all stars and then tanking. You think we can tank with gobert and donovan? What teams traded away their all stars for a total rebuild and then tanked and then won a championship within, say, 7 years later? Give me a list.
Again, you're adding all of these caveats and it's really drifting from the point that the best and most reliable talent is found most often at the top of the draft. As important as the part where the Jazz are obviously all the way broken, they don't have ways to improve their talent in the near future. This team will just get worse and more checked out.

We're probably talking more about taste at this point. I'd rather take a few years of being bad in order to have a better chance of getting back to being good and have a cupboard of assets as they improve than watch this bloated team that no one likes flail for the next two or three years while we have to endure Donovan rumors and then be bad. I would rather skip the garbage of the latter. Of course, maybe the Jazz just... get... better somehow? And the locker room/culture problems vanish with enough tinkering (again, with basically no tradable sweeteners)? I wouldn't bet on that.

Again, you're adding all of these caveats and it's really drifting from the point that the best and most reliable talent is found most often at the top of the draft. As important as the part where the Jazz are obviously all the way broken, they don't have ways to improve their talent in the near future. This team will just get worse and more checked out.

We're probably talking more about taste at this point, but I'd rather take a few years of misery to have a better chance of getting back to being good and hope to get better with time than watch this bloated team that no one likes flail for the next two or three years while we have to endure Donovan rumors and then be bad. I would rather skip that garbage.
Im not talking about caveats. Im talking about what the jazz would need to do (trade gobert and mitchell and do a full rebuild and tank) and if any team had ever gone the assumed jazz route to a title. Has a really really good team ever traded away a couple all stars in their primes on long term deals for a full rebuild and then tanked and then won a title? That is what the jazz would be doing so it seems relevant to see if its ever been done and worked before.

I was simply pointing out that those who want to trade rudy and donovan for a bunch of picks and young players and tank will likely be disappointed as it almost certainly wont lead to a championship. Im not even saying im against that plan. Just saying that the best way to win a championship is to have a really good team with some all star players and then make that team better.
Okay, that's well and good. But how do they get better.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the most awful team to watch/be a fan of for me. No team loses in a more disappointing and humiliating way and the way they respond to such failures is embarrassing.

Give me a break. We’re in the ****ing playoffs stop crying.