What's new

Thoughts and Prayers

At least three too many...

Look, like I said before, I'm all for banning both semi and fully automatic rifles. Yeah, I said I'd ban automatics first if I had to choose and I realize I should have said semis. That said, I can not think of a reason anyone should own one - both semi or fully auto. I can think of plenty of why the shouldn't though.
I own guns and have my whole life, but evidently, there needs to be some sort of change. I'd be happy to give up my guns if the government asked and I just put in for four hunts. Yeah, it sucks I think this way for the many responsible AR gun owners. I just value life and realize there needs to be changes or we're going to keep repeating mass shootings in the US. I also understand and value opposing opinions.

3?

Wanna list those for me?

One important factoid to remember,(make something up).

^This statement will always make you look like an ***.

Not advocating for it but it is something I have heard.

Place up to 3 armed vets in every school.

Are there half a million vets who are willing to give up their current careers or retirement to work as school security guards?

Here is an easy one. I think that we will all agree(maybe).

Require a background check for any gun sale dealer or not. This isn't the 1980s. I can download an app on my phone and have a company send me a free reader so that I can accept credit cards. Anyone can perform a background check. It would be a lot like renting an apartment, the buyer would pay for it. It would probably be like 20 bucks and not a big deal.

We still allow private gun sales but we require a background check. Would anybody be against that?

Why do you make **** up even when there is an argument to be made? Pulling **** out of your *** doesn't help your case.

"Sixty-six percent of Americans want stricter gun control laws — the highest level recorded by Quinnipiac University since it started polling the issue after Sandy Hook."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/amp/poll-support-gun-control-hits-record-high-n849686

not commenting on the specific accuracy of either your statement or Thriller's - - just pointing out that 66% of Americans wanting STRICTER gun control laws does not negate the idea that 85% of Americans might support gun control. The higher number would include those satisfied with current laws who might not favor stricter controls.

3?

Wanna list those for me?
Dude, I googled it. I'm assuming you're capable of doing the same, especially since you're the one telling me to do research.
From what I remember though, let's start with the North Hollywood Shootout.

Last edited:
I’m not going to say I fully believe her stats, as I’ve not looked into them. I’m just putting this here because it’s relevant to the discussion happening.

I've mentioned it here before, but I kind of like the idea of going to a militia system. Individuals could privately own hunting rifles (no semi-automatics) and a revolver. One of each per individual. To own anything more than that you must belong to a militia. The militia would have its own membership criteria, training, certification, etc.. The militia would have to maintain an armory and keep records of all weapons going in and out of the armory. Militia members can only have a limited number of guns checked out to keep at home for self defense. Guns can be checked out for outings and target practice. If a member of a militia commits a gun related crime the militia could have its certification revoked and it could be closed down.

Just a rough idea, but I think a militia system could address a number of issues with an armed citizenry.

So you want to turn the gun issue into another rich white man's country club? Members of the militia would be subject to a vote by the board on how much they must pay every month to remain in the club. Typical formula for rich white man dominance of something.

Also, there really isn't an argument against owning multiple bolt action rifles, shotguns, or even .22 LR. What, am I going to strap 20 .30-06 on my back and storm an elementary school? Shotguns are already physically limited in capacity unless you have one of those insane magazine mods (make those Class III) and typically take a long time to reload. .22 LR isn't a very effective killing weapon.

Also @https://jazzfanz.com/members/%E2%99%AAalt13.2530/ , muzzleloaders would most likely be left out of this equation altogether. I'm not aware of any restrictions on them other than the common carrying loaded while in a vehicle or on a hunt. I didn't even have to go through a background check when I bought my cheap piece of junk. I picked it up off an isle as a kit in one of those hard plastic packages that take a ton of effort to get off and hit the checkout isle. It's an antiquated weapon - very fun to shoot btw - that isn't in need of additional regulation.

So you want to turn the gun issue into another rich white man's country club? Members of the militia would be subject to a vote by the board on how much they must pay every month to remain in the club. Typical formula for rich white man dominance of something.

Also, there really isn't an argument against owning multiple bolt action rifles, shotguns, or even .22 LR. What, am I going to strap 20 .30-06 on my back and storm an elementary school? Shotguns are already physically limited in capacity unless you have one of those insane magazine mods (make those Class III) and typically take a long time to reload. .22 LR isn't a very effective killing weapon.

Also @https://jazzfanz.com/members/%E2%99%AAalt13.2530/ , muzzleloaders would most likely be left out of this equation altogether. I'm not aware of any restrictions on them other than the common carrying loaded while in a vehicle or on a hunt. I didn't even have to go through a background check when I bought my cheap piece of junk. I picked it up off an isle as a kit in one of those hard plastic packages that take a ton of effort to get off and hit the checkout isle. It's an antiquated weapon - very fun to shoot btw - that isn't in need of additional regulation.
I don't "want" a militia system... I want to explore the idea. To think about what that would mean.

I’m not going to say I fully believe her stats, as I’ve not looked into them. I’m just putting this here because it’s relevant to the discussion happening.

Would love to hear her selective data representation around mass shootings, instead of homicides.

I don't "want" a militia system... I want to explore the idea. To think about what that would mean.

Understood. I meant to include something about I like the fact that you are searching for solutions instead of just complaining about a problem as people seem to only ever want to do. I don't like your proposed solution but at least it's an outside the box idea worth thinking about.

I think expanding the Class III permitting to include new purchases of "assault" rifles would be a good start, with the aim of eventually requiring all current owners to obtain a permit. Bump stocks should have been outlawed before they ever caused a problem, as should these new high capacity 12-gauge modifications. X-Rail for Benelli gives it 22+1, making it a devastating gun. The latter is a very slippery slope to the NRA types however, and would be met with resistance.

Some students in FL, including survivors of the latest shooting, went to Tallahassee and confronted state lawmakers. They demanded gun reform/control.

Then they did interviews and basically put all lawmakers on notice. That they will go after all of them that take NRA donations or oppose more gun control.

Do we start to see something build from this new generation?

Just read this article. I found it to be fairly balanced and it pointed out some of the things states can do to hopefully reduce the number of mass shootings or fatal shootings in general.

https://everytownresearch.org/reports/mass-shootings-analysis/

Sounds like getting rid of this loophole makes the most sense, at least as a starting point.

Very informative article. I find it frustrating that the government won't fund the type of research that this organization is doing. I do not understand why anyone on either side of the argument (other than the NRA) would not want to know what they are dealing with. But at this point, people use ideas in their arguments for their side that may or may not be borne out by research because other than private organizations, the information isn't there.

The conclusion of the article seems like the obvious starting points that really shouldn't upset anyone: "Policymakers across the country should examine their state’s current laws, and address the gaps that make it too easy for dangerous individuals to arm themselves. This involves requiring background checks on all gun sales; ensuring that domestic abusers do not have access to firearms; and creating mechanisms that allow for the temporary removal of guns from individuals who have demonstrated a risk to themselves or others."