What's new

TIL Thread

This blows my mind and I feel pretty dumb I didn't know this, but yesterday's TIL for me was that you can actually snowboard and ski in Hawaii? I had no idea.

If I'm ever in a situation where a person tries to start an illegitimate circle-jerk I'm shutting that **** down and calling his fake *** out, you better ****ing believe that!

Maybe we should consider barcode tattoo's with the url to the post encoded. So when that day comes, the evidence will be right there.

Maybe we should consider barcode tattoo's with the url to the post encoded. So when that day comes, the evidence will be right there.
You can never be too ready. These lecherous men always like "let's have a circle-jerk, let's have a circle-jerk..." gets tiresome tbpfhwy.

This is not a TIL for me, but for my wife.

I started working nights again and sleeping during the day can be challenging, and for me one of the most challenging things is that it is hotter and I really like to be cool when I sleep (sleep experts say you sleep better when it's cool, and they say "cool" is probably colder than you think, between 64f and 67f is the optimal temp for good sleep). So I've been turning the thermostat down before I go to bed, then my wife gets cold and turns it up. My bedroom gets hot really fast and stays a lot hotter than the rest of the house.

So long story short, I'm looking for a portable room air conditioner. I don't want a window unit because I have my window extra super triple blacked out. But even the portable units need to exhaust the hot air. I figured I could exhaust to the bathroom fan in the master bathroom. So I was telling my wife that and she was a little bit confused. It then became clear that she didn't know those fans exhaust to the outside. So I'm explaining that and telling her that they are there to help prevent mold since it gets humid when you shower.

She finally asks "So they pull air in?" I was a little confused and repeated that they are there to remove humidity. She says she always thought they blew air into the bathroom, that they were just fans.

TIL about MLK Jr's allegations.
https://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-tapes-allege-mlk-watched-rape-2019-5

This is probably the worst thing to come to light if true. The last thing we need as a society right now.

The FBI was trying to gather negative information about King in hopes of using it to discredit him. Former FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover was personally motivated to bring down King, according to the institute.

Given that context — and given Garrow's lack of access to the tapes themselves, in addition to the fact that the Standpoint article has not yet been published — Garrow's claims raise questions about the accuracy of the evidence and the motives of the FBI agents who created the documents.

Considering the seriousness of the allegations and that the source is second-hand at best, I'm not surprised many of the major news organizations are shying away.

Last edited:
I dont really care about the affairs but the other stuff is really bad if true. It will definitely tarnish him some. But a lot of people who have done great things have also done some bad things, like Mandela.

It is really bad if true. I guess the sense that MLK Jr being the face of hope and a pioneer of a movement long overdue is the last thing we needed as a country already so racially divided - if that makes sense - not condoning the rape allegations. I don't care about the affairs too unless he was high and mighty about being faithful.

I hope it's not true and is these are as good as the allegations get so it gets swept under the rug.

It is really bad if true. I guess the sense that MLK Jr being the face of hope and a pioneer of a movement long overdue is the last thing we needed as a country already so racially divided - if that makes sense - not condoning the rape allegations. I don't care about the affairs too unless he was high and mighty about being faithful.

I hope it's not true and is these are as good as the allegations get so it gets swept under the rug.
If it's not true it doesn't need to be swept under the rug...

Seems sketchy at best. There is a lot of sensationalism in the story. Almost to the "Hillary Clinton is running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor" level.

If it's not true it doesn't need to be swept under the rug...

Seems sketchy at best. There is a lot of sensationalism in the story. Almost to the "Hillary Clinton is running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor" level.

David Garrow is a noted Civil Rights historian who won a Pulitzer for his biography on King This isn't coming from 4chan. It sucks, but he probably wouldn't be making these claims without some sort of evidence. Not sure what it would mean going forward. . .

David Garrow is a noted Civil Rights historian who won a Pulitzer for his biography on King This isn't coming from 4chan. It sucks, but he probably wouldn't be making these claims without some sort of evidence. Not sure what it would mean going forward. . .
So if a guy advocating for civil rights isn't a good guy, what does that mean for civil rights?

Nothing. He was an advocate. He advocated for something that was right, with or without him. Civil rights are something black people should have. Martin Luther King didn't make that true. It's just true.