What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

I feel like more attests and people being fired needs to happen as well. Who allowed this cop to be working still? His record seems awful and other stuff covered up.

Being a teacher, I just keep thinking about how little outrage there is at police departments pulling stuff like this and how much there would be(rightfully so) if this happened with a school board.

Can you imagine a teacher being suspected of molesting a student and the school board and their colleagues rallying around them? Leaks coming out claiming the student is a slut and a liar? Internal investigations that went nowhere and were quietly dropped? Can you imagine a teacher with multiple accusations of molestation still working in the same school like nothing happened? Why is this normal in law enforcement?

Being a teacher, I just keep thinking about how little outrage there is at police departments pulling stuff like this and how much there would be(rightfully so) if this happened with a school board.

Can you imagine a teacher being suspected of molesting a student and the school board and their colleagues rallying around them? Leaks coming out claiming the student is a slut and a liar? Internal investigations that went nowhere and were quietly dropped? Can you imagine a teacher with multiple accusations of molestation still working in the same school like nothing happened? Why is this normal in law enforcement?
Damn! That paints a pretty crazy picture.

Because cops have a lot of power and there are a lot of bootlickers in the USA.

Basically cops are in bully mode right now in efforts to convince people to stay at home and stop protesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-minneapolis-cop-told-other-204547488.html

Lane was 4 days in and in training. He asked to turn Floyd over twice and denied. Not sure why he's being charged with murder or no?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...n-was-training-them-lawyer-says/#194508592aa1

It's unfortunate how little media coverage this has received. The fact that two of the officers had only been on the job for 2-3 days and were classified as "in training" is something everyone needs to consider before judging these former police officers. The fact that Chauvin was training them is a giant black eye on the department. If reports are accurate that both of these trainees suggested that Chauvin should get off of George Floyd and to place him in the patrol vehicle, I'm not sure it's appropriate to charge them of a crime. Is it reasonable to expect a brand new officer to do more than what they did? I would image that 90% of people would have acted in the same way that these new officers did. If you believe you would of acted differently, I'm curious as to what you would have done. Physically removed Chauvin? Pulled your firearm and demanded him to get off Floyd?

I'm wondering if it's appropriate to bring charges against the police chief or other officers leaders of the department. Some of this is clearly an organizational failure and I'm not sure it's right to place all of the fault on the officers who were asked to respond. (The exception being Chauvin, who clearly needs to spend a long time in prison).

If you believe you would of acted differently, I'm curious as to what you would have done. Physically removed Chauvin? Pulled your firearm and demanded him to get off Floyd?

I would like to think that if my coworker was killing somebody in front of me, I would do something. Even if it was my first day on the job. Or have we all just lost all humanity?

I would like to think that if my coworker was killing somebody in front of me, I would do something. Even if it was my first day on the job. Or have we all just lost all humanity?

I'm not sure comparing what our response would be in our professions is an appropriate way to criticize how a police officer should respond. Most of us don't face the type of danger or situations they face on a regular basis. I would hope that anyone observing a murder would try to act if they have the capacity to do so. Should the individuals that were filming or watching the events unfold have done more?

At the end of the day, I'm still not sure what the officer could/should have done to help save this man's life. If you think they should have used force to remove Chauvin, I suppose that is possible, but it could have put other people in danger as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...n-was-training-them-lawyer-says/#194508592aa1

It's unfortunate how little media coverage this has received. The fact that two of the officers had only been on the job for 2-3 days and were classified as "in training" is something everyone needs to consider before judging these former police officers. The fact that Chauvin was training them is a giant black eye on the department. If reports are accurate that both of these trainees suggested that Chauvin should get off of George Floyd and to place him in the patrol vehicle, I'm not sure it's appropriate to charge them of a crime. Is it reasonable to expect a brand new officer to do more than what they did? I would image that 90% of people would have acted in the same way that these new officers did. If you believe you would of acted differently, I'm curious as to what you would have done. Physically removed Chauvin? Pulled your firearm and demanded him to get off Floyd?

I'm wondering if it's appropriate to bring charges against the police chief or other officers leaders of the department. Some of this is clearly an organizational failure and I'm not sure it's right to place all of the fault on the officers who were asked to respond. (The exception being Chauvin, who clearly needs to spend a long time in prison).
Jeez that is tough... the rookies were basically on a ride along with a guy trying to show them what a badass he is... I’d say whoever assigned them to this jackass for training has more responsibility. I imagine law enforcement is similar to the army branches where you don’t ****ing tell superiors what to do... my buddy in the Air Force tells me there are dudes above you that you aren’t even suppose to talk with.

There are so many losers when people act like Chauvin did.

That's easy to say. I hope we all would but it's a lil more to it imo.

I'm not sure comparing what our response would be in our professions is an appropriate way to criticize how a police officer should respond. Most of us don't face the type of danger or situations they face on a regular basis. I would hope that anyone observing a murder would try to act if they have the capacity to do so. Should the individuals that were filming or watching the events unfold have done more?

At the end of the day, I'm still not sure what the officer could/should have done to help save this man's life. If you think they should have used force to remove Chauvin, I suppose that is possible, but it could have put other people in danger as well.
It is easy to be an arm chair quarterback here... but first day on the job the other guys may not have thought he was killing him... maybe they thought he was crying wolf. There would have been some ways to intervene that are less confrontational... I’m not saying these dudes are free from responsibility but experience should be a factor in how they are judged imo.

That's easy to say. I hope we all would but it's a lil more to it imo.

So you're saying that you could watch someone training you kill a person in cold blood and you'd be prevented from doing anything at all by the thought of losing this job?

Reactions: MVP
So you're saying that you could watch someone training you kill a person in cold blood and you'd be prevented from doing anything at all by the thought of losing this job?
You are assuming he knew the guy would die. If it was really his first week in the job he may have thought that is how everyone reacts... Its tough to put ourselves in his position. Maybe he though the guy would stop or that if he intervened it might get worse.

I'd like to think we'd all do better, but we all have the benefit of hindsight. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt... if they knew he was killing him I think they'd have stopped him... they likely thought he was roughing the guy up and being aggressive... which based on the videos I'm seeing online is par for the course unfortunately.

Suggesting they didn't do "anything at all" is not accurate. They reportedly told the guy to get off of him, at least twice. It's also not safe to assume that they knew George Floyd was going to die (I highly doubt they thought that would happen). There is clearly a level of trust that someone has for the person that is training them for these types of situations. I think you, me, and virtually everyone else would do the same thing they did. Suggest a different tactic that is less dangerous, then when told otherwise, follow the orders of the person that has 15 years more experience than you do.

If that's not what you personally would have done, enlighten us as to what your actions would have been. Physically remove him? Shoot him?

Food for thought.

The number of unarmed black people killed by law enforcement last year was less than the number of unarmed white people who were killed. 9 to 14 iirc.

I'm not absolving Chauvin of responsibility here. He deserves to serve decades if not life.

Suggesting they didn't do "anything at all" is not accurate. They reportedly told the guy to get off of him, at least twice. It's also not safe to assume that they knew George Floyd was going to die (I highly doubt they thought that would happen). There is clearly a level of trust that someone has for the person that is training them for these types of situations. I think you, me, and virtually everyone else would do the same thing they did. Suggest a different tactic that is less dangerous, then when told otherwise, follow the orders of the person that has 15 years more experience than you do.

If that's not what you personally would have done, enlighten us as to what your actions would have been. Physically remove him? Shoot him?
The guy also had a laundry list of complaints against him... was made a trainer... so these guys likely thought anything forceful would mean they are fired... and agree they didn't know he would die.

Officers need to have a healthy fear that if they use excessive force they can lose their job and be prosecuted. Same thing with civilians in Stand Your Ground situations. It is clear that some of these individuals are reprehensible beings but maybe they will do the right thing out of self interest.

Food for thought.

The number of unarmed black people killed by law enforcement last year was less than the number of unarmed white people who were killed. 9 to 14 iirc.

I'm not absolving Chauvin of responsibility here. He deserves to serve decades if not life.
The numbers that need to be included along with your numbers is total number of black people in the country vs total number of white people in the country.

Makes the numbers you posted look much different.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Here in lies the problem. Those cops should be trained to intervene if someone is being murdered by another cop. The blue line has protected them for so long, they don’t even question their own actions or the actions of fellow cops.

They need to set an example with these two. Your silence makes you complicate. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk