What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

Exactly. The night in jail is a huge deterrent to drinking and driving.
Take that away and there are still deterrents (fines, higher insurance, losing license, etc) but certainly less of them cause you eliminated one of them. For me the time in jail is the biggest deterrent. Take that away and increase my likelihood of drinking and driving.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

How is the fact that's its a ****** thing to do not the biggest deterrent?

To me, it's not so different than like murder or something, it's not the legal consequences that keep most people from doing it (or so I hope).

To me, it's not so different than like murder or something, it's not the legal consequences that keep most people from doing it (or so I hope).

I'm glad that's the case for you (and I think it's the primary reason for Fish too, he was just talking about various consequences of being pulled over for it). But there will be people with that mindset, because obviously they can drive while drunk and would never hurt anyone (their reasoning). I'm sure there are crimes where you would have similar reasoning. 'This isn't wrong, but I don't want to face the consequences'

I'm glad that's the case for you (and I think it's the primary reason for Fish too, he was just talking about various consequences of being pulled over for it). But there will be people with that mindset, because obviously they can drive while drunk and would never hurt anyone. I'm sure there are crimes where you would have similar reasoning.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. There's less risk of "it's fine, no one will get hurt" when it comes to murder lol. Bad analogy on my part.

I think the vast majority of drunk drivers don't get caught and end up confirming to themselves that it's no big deal... Until it is.

Cause so many of us drink and drive and never have an accident. Hell i used to rationalize my drinking and driving by telling myself that when i drive drunk i stay under the speed limit and pay closer attention to my driving than when im sober cause im scared to get pulled over and taken to jail.

Anywho, remove the trip to jail is to remove a deterrent no matter what else we all have to say. I think we can all agree on that.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. There's less risk of "it's fine, no one will get hurt" when it comes to murder lol. Bad analogy on my part.

I think the vast majority of drunk drivers don't get caught and end up confirming to themselves that it's no big deal... Until it is.

This was me. I convinced myself it was no big deal. When my daughter was born i changed my ways. Havent even had a sip of alcohol and then got behind the wheel in over 4 years now. If she werent born however i would probably still be drinking and driving.... well, uber and lift and those companies might have stopped me from drinking and driving at least to some extent but i probably still would occasionally when i felt only a little drunk.

This was me. I convinced myself it was no big deal. When my daughter was born i changed my ways. Havent even had a sip of alcohol and then got behind the wheel in over 4 years now. If she werent born however i would probably still be drinking and driving.... well, uber and lift and those companies might have stopped me from drinking and driving at least to some extent but i probably still would occasionally when i felt only a little drunk.

******* drunk

Cause so many of us drink and drive and never have an accident. Hell i used to rationalize my drinking and driving by telling myself that when i drive drunk i stay under the speed limit and pay closer attention to my driving than when im sober cause im scared to get pulled over and taken to jail.

Anywho, remove the trip to jail is to remove a deterrent no matter what else we all have to say. I think we can all agree on that.

Our laws are far too lax with drunk drivers (and distracted drivers on phones for the first couple incidents. I used to take the bus and I'd look out the window and probably 1/3 of the people driving were on their phones). I lost two family member to drunk drivers. One received zero jail time, and he had prior incidents. The other went to jail for two years after hitting my cousin who was riding a bike to get a burger for his wife then the driver took off from the scene while my cousin was bleeding to death. Guy owns a bar now in my town.

A family member on my wife's side has had 3 DUI's over a period of years. Finally served real jail time on #3 as we wouldn't bail him out. He drove drunk a countless # of times before getting caught. I understand if you are close to the limit, or even as the new Utah limit, but you could blow a .20 on a first offense with very little consequence (possibly no jail time).

We even allow this stuff to occur:

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=54628938&itype=CMSID

Ugh. So our intramural football team my last year in college was sick. I was the qb. 7 on 7. We ran a lot of option **** since I was fast as ****. Won our first two games 60-0 iirc. Anyway, our rb/s was a clown. He got ********d drunk at one of the college watering holes in Trenton. Club 14. Was pissing outside the bar around closing time. Cops approached. He took off down an alley or some ****. They arrested him. I wanna say he even got roughed up because I think he was in the hospital. I know he didn’t play for us the rest of the season. Think he broke a leg or something, I forget. But it made fairly big headlines iirc. I was pissed at him. Kid was always a clown and never learned. We could’ve been awesome. But I blew my hammy out a month later and thus was mediocre at regionals.

Last year, I was in Cody, Wyoming with business partners and we all got **** faced at Buffalo Bill's daughter's hotel Irma.
One guy could barely ****ing walk and kept begging us all to do one more shot.

We had to walk 4 or 5 blocks back to our hotel and on the way back the two guys I was with stopped and started peeing on a building.

Next thing you know, cop lights started flashing and pulled up. I thought I was gonna get in trouble too. The cops issued the two guys tickets and were cool to me.

Handle your liquor, people.

I imagine all these people bitching about going to jail after drinking and driving couldn't handle their liquor and are mad.

This is a great example of "archie brain." No one here is condoning drunk driving.

When people argue that drunk, passed out people behind the wheel should be called an Uber and checked on for medical attention while also complaining cops shouldn't be involved, it is condoning their behavior.

Read the thread and the definition of codone, dumbass. At least I have a brain.

Call an Uber!

You are having a strawman argument. No one here is condoning their behavior. Everyone in this thread including me is saying they should be punished.

So what you are saying is that you hate drunk drivers and want extra punishment to them immediately at the cost of tax payers. Spending a night in jail and being released isnt a punishment for a drunk person. Keeping them in a jail for a night or having them sleep at home is no different but one costs a lot of money and leads to more issues. Both will be punished later. What that punishment is should depend on the evidence. That is a judges job, not the cops. There is a reason we separate those jobs out.

Dude, I'm just not mad if drunk drivers are arrested and locked up for the night. It's insane to me people are even arguing this.

That is being extremely drunk if you dont remember for a lot of people. The equivalent of that is driving extremely fast. Both are very dangerous and very stupid.

Nah, that's not the equivalent. Not at all unless you're talking speeding at an insane level.

I'll get in the car of the speeder 100% of the time before someone who's blackout drunk.

It's not equivalent. Not at all.

I'm having a really hard time understanding why sending someone home with a court date is less safe than arresting a drunk driver and keeping them overnight in a drunk tank.

Is the fear that they're immediately going to get back into a car and start driving around again? If so then that's really quite dumb.

Says I have an "Archie brain" and no one condones drunk drivers while not capable of understanding why drunk drivers need to be taken off the street and issued a court date.

I must be so simple minded to think this way. My small, bird brain isn't open enough to give drunks behind the wheel a free pass on sleeping it off in their bed.

Gawd damn it.

People in this thread mad that drunks get arrested behind the wheel and don't think cops need to be involved. That or cops should babysit them, take them home and issue them a court date because arresting them makes them a victim and things could escalate.

You can't make this **** up.

Gawd damn it.

I have an Archie brain 100%. I'm not the smartest guy and have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. At least I have a ****ing brain though and can think for myself.

1) It's safer for the police to avoid confrontations or de-escalate. What if this guy in Atlanta had grabbed the gun instead of the taser?

What if blackout drunks never drove?

You can point the finger and worry about cops not being safe but I'd bet my life that cops arresting drunk drivers saves more lives, by a vast amount, than bad cops who take lives like George Floyd.

**** drunk drivers just like **** the trigger happy police officers.

Nah, that's not the equivalent. Not at all unless you're talking speeding at an insane level.

I'll get in the car of the speeder 100% of the time before someone who's blackout drunk.

It's not equivalent. Not at all.
I won't get in either. I've seen too many crashes and deaths for either. Both are reckless and terrible. Just like using your cell phone and driving.

Dude, I'm just not mad if drunk drivers are arrested and locked up for the night. It's insane to me people are even arguing this.
I don't think you have any idea what people are arguing to be honest.

Again, everyone here wants drunk drivers punished at least as harsh as they currently are or more than they currently are.

People in this thread mad that drunks get arrested behind the wheel and don't think cops need to be involved. That or cops should babysit them, take them home and issue them a court date because arresting them makes them a victim and things could escalate.

Gawd damn it.

I have an Archie brain 100%. I'm not the smartest guy and have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. At least I have a ****ing brain though and can think for myself.
You have never answered how many days a drunk driver should spend in jail before court date.

Gawd damn it.

It's like you think I've advocated for drunk driving or drunk drivers in this thread.

I haven't.

This has been a confusing conversation for me.

Just gonna leave this here.

BTW, in all the time I worked as an admin, I never saw a teacher rack up more than 3 complaints without termination. Early on as an assistant, we had a cheer coach who was rough on the kids. We got one report during a tour. She got a talking to and a written report. Then during the homecoming game she pulled another outlandish stunt. During halftime then principal relieved her of her duties.

Even regular teachers belonging to a union/association, typically are terminated after 2-3 write ups. In education, the union serves to ensure that administrators follow policy. Unlike law enforcement, the union largely doesn’t exist to control the system, manipulate the public, and protect awful teachers.

There’s always exceptions, but it’s pretty amazing to me the difference between teacher unions and police unions. One is hated by the public yet has very little actual control while the other one up until a few weeks ago was worshipped despite having overwhelming control.

If I'm way drunk and pissed off then that uber driver might just have an unruly passenger on their hands and might need the police again before they get me home.

Agreed, but that's a different danger than that from a drunk driver. It's part of the risk you assume as an Uber driver.