What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

I think in a perfect world this would be the case.

How would you justify sending someone like this who gets murdered by the mentally ill?
It would have to be a combo thing I think, and situational. And this absolutely would not preclude the need for better training for police officers.

I think in a perfect world this would be the case.

How would you justify sending someone like this who gets murdered by the mentally ill?
Your second sentence... I don't know where to start, really. I understand the concern. What is hard for me is seeing the world through the lens that all 911 calls should be treated as potential murder traps.

"Hello, 911, I'm calling because my son has refused to take his medication for the last few days and now he won't leave his room and I'm worried that he might hurt himself. I don't know what else to do"

Mental health experts can respond to this call. If the situation seems too dangerous they back off and ask for armed police. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I don't have to justify them getting murdered. It's a possibility that some random **** happens tomorrow and I get murdered. I don't live my life on edge wanting to be prepared for every possible murder scenario above all common sense.

That's what I mean by our overly heavy handed policing. Where in poor, urban communities they treat almost everyone as if they are most likely trying to kill them, and as a result they kill people far far more often, people who didn't deserve to be killed, than they are killed.

Being a police officer is a bit down the list as the most dangerous job and most deadly job. The highly paid, highly trained, highly regarded pizza delivery drivers have that distinction. They face more danger than police, yet they don't gun you down as you're reaching for your wallet to give them a tip.

I don't want police to be killed. I don't want mental health experts to be killed. I don't want anyone to be killed. But we've skewed this WAY too far in the direction of protecting the shield (police officers) rather than the shield protecting us. Can you imagine body armor that killed the wearer because it had a vague suspicion that the wearer might wander into danger and the body armor kicked into self preservation mode? Police officers sign up to be our shield. They don't get to kill us out of a hyper paranoia about them being hurt. That's not the way this is supposed to work.

Found this interesting. Apparently the cops new weapon in preventing being filmed brutalizing people is..........The Beatles?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvx...beatles-to-trigger-instagram-copyright-filter

As VICE News reported Tuesday, police in Beverly Hills have repeatedly played copyrighted music while being filmed, seemingly in an attempt to trigger Instagram's algorithmic copyright filters, which could result in videos of police interactions with the public being taken down. Repeated infractions can result in the suspension of live streamers' accounts.

This one makes me mad. Yeah, she had a knife but I'd rather run from her or put my own life on the line and disarm her than shoot her 5 times in front of her kids.

I wish cops were mandated to be in shape and pass certain requirements like body fat, how fast they can run, etc. Yeah, I know it's unrealistic because of supply and demand but I still wish.

If the taser didn't work, back off until another cop on hand shows up. Cops sees opportunity to justify their life was endangered (yeah, and maybe it was) but how would it have turned out if the cops showed up prepared to do all they could to not shoot her 5 times.

Life is precious.

Well done video showing 3 different camera angles with some audio as well.

My thoughts: 1st. Make jaywalking legal. Everyone does it already anyway. Don't **** with people for jaywalking.
2nd. Don't get belligerent with cops and follow their instructions and you probably don't get shot. Certainly don't grab their gun.

Imo the shooting was justified but the cops should have never ****ed with the dude in the first place and jaywalking is a stupid law. Btw my brother got a citation for jaywalking in Seattle. He didn't fight the cops though or grab their gun. He took the ticket and paid the fine and was pissed about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

"Protect and serve" has turned into "let's look for law breakers so we can go hunting."

From what I read, this guy didn't even jaywalk. Even if he did, the police should make the assessment is it worth approaching? If so, let's educate the guy (not confront) on why jaywalking can be dangerous.

****ing guys were looking for someone to flex their authority on. A guy is dead because of it.

Jaywalking...

Well done video showing 3 different camera angles with some audio as well.

My thoughts: 1st. Make jaywalking legal. Everyone does it already anyway. Don't **** with people for jaywalking.
2nd. Don't get belligerent with cops and follow their instructions and you probably don't get shot. Certainly don't grab their gun.

Imo the shooting was justified but the cops should have never ****ed with the dude in the first place and jaywalking is a stupid law. Btw my brother got a citation for jaywalking in Seattle. He didn't fight the cops though or grab their gun. He took the ticket and paid the fine and was pissed about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
People have a fight or flight instinct. For all we know he was trying to get out of a tackle and grabbed something for leverage.

I guarantee if the cops were cool and caring, this would never had happened. They shot him cause he reached for their gun, they killed him because they didn't know how to protect and serve.

Example 1,385,746,938 of our “finest” at work this year. Oof

we really really really need to raise the standards for being a police officer in this country. You can’t have the dumbest in our society have some of the most powerful positions.

pop quiz, if this monster had been black or brown and was shooting up white businesses, would he be alive today? Would our “finest” be making excuses for him by saying he was “having a really bad day?” It’s just unreal how badly these guys **** up and yet our society idolizes them so much. No other industry in America gets away with so much ****

we really really really need to raise the standards for being a police officer in this country. You can’t have the dumbest in our society have some of the most powerful positions.

pop quiz, if this monster had been black or brown and was shooting up white businesses, would he be alive today? Would our “finest” be making excuses for him by saying he was “having a really bad day?” It’s just unreal how badly these guys **** up and yet our society idolizes them so much. No other industry in America gets away with so much ****

I don't get what point you're trying to make here. This isn't on police officers. I didn't watch the video because twitter vids don't play unless I log in and I don't need or want to have anything to do with twitter.

Sounds like he might have been blowing all his money getting handies at these places. But is also could have just been because they were asian I guess. Either way some guy in Utah Valley probably knows a lot less than the cops that arrested and interviewed him. But maybe you are right.

It's not like there haven't been a few black mass murderers getting arrested instead of killed by the cops the last month or two. Or you are just bitching to bitch.