What's new

Trade Confirmed: Jazz get jack for Bogey

HeatCheck

View: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1573299696335986688

This deal was about $$$$ and the fact that Ainge wants to reunite with one of his old exes.... some serious ********. I am guessing this means Lee gets cut.

Ugh. Proving that I can be talked into just about anything Olynyk is a decent placeholder at Center until Kessler is ready. Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.

They are down to 18 guaranteed contracts at this point not counting the 2 guys they signed for camp deals this week. I'm going to assume Lee gets cut as the Pistons just paid for the Jazz to do so. Stanley Johnson is another vet min guy that would be easy to cut. He was actually out of the league until the Lakers signed him out of desperation mid season.

Going to assume Gay has a good chance of getting bought out. I'd let his agent shop him around to see if any teams have interest in him as a vet min signing.

Clarkson and/or Beasley still have a chance to be traded sometime between now and the start of the season. Jazz still have a glut of guards and there are a few contending teams that could use scoring punch off their bench.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Ugh. Proving that I can be talked into just about anything Olynyk is a decent placeholder at Center until Kessler is ready. Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.

They are down to 18 guaranteed contracts at this point not counting the 2 guys they signed for camp deals this week. I'm going to assume Lee gets cut as the Pistons just paid for the Jazz to do so. Stanley Johnson is another vet min guy that would be easy to cut. He was actually out of the league until the Lakers signed him out of desperation mid season.

Going to assume Gay has a good chance of getting bought out. I'd let his agent shop him around to see if any teams have interest in him as a vet min signing.

Clarkson and/or Beasley still have a chance to be traded sometime between now and the start of the season. Jazz still have a glut of guards and there are a few contending teams that could use scoring punch off their bench.
I think you could trade Stanley Johnson into someone's tpe... don't think we will have to pay him to leave. He also might get claimed if waived so we wouldn't pay his salary.

I think Lee is getting cut for sure. I think Gay would have been bought out earlier... likely hoping to trade him. I think Dok or JB are getting the axe unless we do a consolidation trade.

We have some time to figure it out. I'd want to get a look at Lee in camp and the preseason.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Hopefully Ainge can be opportunistic with a TPE by the deadline.
JUST SAY NO!

Bonus for anyone who can tell us the last time we used a TPE. More bonus points for anyone who can then put this is to a ratio of used vs. unused TPEs. TPEs are the ultimate pacifiers of bad trades. The administration gets credit for “the potential for deals in the future” while never materializing those because, by the time a year rolls around and the TPE expires (it’s never reported, there’s no attention drawn to it), people’s frustrations about the trade have much more dissipated to the point that nobody cares about the TPE going away.

The TPE is kinda like the “waive and stretch” of fan expectation. Get a small amount of disappointment to hit with the initial deal, but minimize that hit with a “they picked up a TPE that will be valuable moving forward and gives lots of flexibility for picking up players at the deadline/draft/whenever.”

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
JUST SAY NO!

Bonus for anyone who can tell us the last time we used a TPE. More bonus points for anyone who can then put this is to a ratio of used vs. unused TPEs. TPEs are the ultimate pacifiers of bad trades. The administration gets credit for “the potential for deals in the future” while never materializing those because, by the time a year rolls around and the TPE expires (it’s never reported, there’s no attention drawn to it), people’s frustrations about the trade have much more dissipated to the point that nobody cares about the TPE going away.

The TPE is kinda like the “waive and stretch” of fan expectation. Get a small amount of disappointment to hit with the initial deal, but minimize that hit with a “they picked up a TPE that will be valuable moving forward and gives lots of flexibility for picking up players at the deadline/draft/whenever.”
We have like two other tpes that are bigger than the one we just created. I think around the draft there is a small possibility we use one of our tpes but we did not need the one from this deal at all.

TPE is an acronym for Saving Ryan Money.... the S = T, the P = R, the E = M

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
JUST SAY NO!

We did get Al Jefferson using the TPE we got from trading Boozer to Chicago… you know back in 2010 lolz.

HeatCheck

JUST SAY NO!

I'm not counting on it at all but as long as they have salary flexibility I suppose there's always a chance.

The Fresh Prince

No one said that. I just said that every trade is viewed as its own thing, how is that even implying that one trade makes another trade worse?
I didn't say that. I'm implying that everybody seems to despise Ainge for making 1 distasteful trade when he's been wheeling and dealing all offseason making good moves. He makes one trade they dont like and they turn on him. People are making it seem like its the end of the world because we didn't get draft capital back for Bogey.

The Fresh Prince

Not really. We can analyze one transaction and say it's dog water... We don't have to lump it in with other trades we've done.
I guess we're on the outside looking in as to why Ainge did this for now. Hopefully something good comes out of it. Either way I'm okay with it. We've already aligned our team with young pieces that can be viable to our future.

Jazz Traveler

Too much credit is given to Ainge. The Mitchell trade was primarily Zanik. I suspect Zanik is doing a lot of the background day to day stuff, due diligence, etc., don’t see Ainge working the phones every day.

Really hoping this a precursor to something worthwhile. And I’m fine if we don’t do anything with the Lakers. The sheer entertainment value of watching Schroeder, Beverley, and Westbrook meltdown will be a gift that keeps on giving. I hate that all the free agents/veterans want to go the Lakers. I’m ok with not helping them out.

framer

The greatest, most valued young talent on our team is our new coach. He likely turned down other opportunities for this one. I'd suspect that he had some input into the decision to obtain a shooting center. Just as it is important to develop our young talent, giving our coach at least the bare minimum to run his sets is pretty important. If he wants to base his offense off of shooting from the center spot, the trash we had there wasn't going to cut it.