What's new

Trade deadline discussion

He's a basketball GM dude, not a CFO. No one is going to care all that much about this stuff if they get a ring. He went for the present. I'm sure he would have liked to avoid the tax, but there were some factors that changed the cap since the Conley trade happened and you cant penny pinch too much.

Y'all have this fantasy in your head that DL can just hardball everyone into submission to his master plan. Danny Ainge has tried that ish and he had an asset treasure chest while being in a desirable market. Maybe not a too shelf market like a LA/Miami/NYK, but the next best tier. Look where that **** has gotten him.
We have 14 GMs if one of them isn’t specifically operating the cap function then I’m not sure what we are doing?

Pat Riley is a GM but it’s well known Andy handles the cap side. Every year Pat does his work and Andy slides everything in just under the tax. I get that the quality of the moves they do is better because of market... but they also do some great cap work in the background.

If Favs wanted to be here (which he did) there was a very workable framework to give him what he wanted and not hamstring ourselves. I get that he can’t force guys to do what he wants but he can work within constraints. It is likely not his direct responsibility but someone in the front office kinda missed here.

To your overall point that no one will care... I hope so. I hope we win a title and I hope we keep all the guys we need to... where we will start to care is when we trade JC this offseason or let Mike walk because of money... if they write the checks and roll with it then I give zero *****. Buuuuut I’m guessing 100M+ might be a tough pill to swallow.

I also kind of like the idea of Whiteside since Favors is broken.
But Hassan's brain is broken.

Dieng was just released. He will have options with other teams I'm guessing but if he wants to take Ersan's spot on the bench that'd be an okay plan.

Lol. What a slander of hh’s points.
I didn't even bring up the big one... where if we were so convince Mike was gonna work out there was an opportunity to do a renegotiate and extend. He may not have wanted to so it may not have been a consideration... but coming off a rough year I would think he'd at least be interested in locking in another $50-60M ish.

Prediction...as long as Ryan Smith is the owner the Jazz will buy a pick with cash considerations.. this year he will do that and trade the pick for a future pick. That is one way to start generating trade capital again. So this for a few years in a row and you can make some moves. It would cost a ton but it allows the Jazz to keep winning and have options to shed salary and get cost controlled contracts.

They are talking like Austin rivers may be bought out. He could be a nice 9-10 guy

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Prediction...as long as Ryan Smith is the owner the Jazz will buy a pick with cash considerations.. this year he will do that and trade the pick for a future pick. That is one way to start generating trade capital again. So this for a few years in a row and you can make some moves. It would cost a ton but it allows the Jazz to keep winning and have options to shed salary and get cost controlled contracts.
History... Ryan sent our 2027 2nd round pick to Cleveland to offload a $340k cap number and get a little cash.

I didn't even bring up the big one... where if we were so convince Mike was gonna work out there was an opportunity to do a renegotiate and extend. He may not have wanted to so it may not have been a consideration... but coming off a rough year I would think he'd at least be interested in locking in another $50-60M ish.
I'm trying not to ruminate about this too much (and am totally failing), but had they been able to do that, there was a path to having sufficient cap space to sign Wood outright. It ****s me up. He's getting paid not much more than Favors and that is absolutely nuts.