What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Their 2023 1st?
Yes. I want all the 10th to 16th picks I can get. Let's say that this draft is 6 positions better than the average draft. So the 13th pick is like the 7th in a different year. Historically the 7th pick on average has yielded big hits.

Yes. I want all the 10th to 16th picks I can get. Let's say that this draft is 6 positions better than the average draft. So the 13th pick is like the 7th in a different year. Historically the 7th pick on average has yielded big hits.
I'm just not convinced that we're going to bring in more than 2 first round rookies. I also think Dallas still probably makes the playoffs.

Marc Stein: Updating tonight’s NBA blockbuster trade coverage: As the Nets pursue additional deals before Thursday’s 3 PM ET trade buzzer, league sources say they have not ruled out potentially moving Spencer Dinwiddie elsewhere.
It is interesting to me that they push Dinwiddies name out there but not DFS. You would think they would keep him first and foremost, since they gave away their best guard.. maybe they dont think he is good enough or then they really love Cam Thomas.

It is interesting to me that they push Dinwiddies name out there but not DFS. You would think they would keep him first and foremost, since they gave away their best guard.. maybe they dont think he is good enough or then they really love Cam Thomas.
Could also be exploring trades for other veteran PG like Mike Conley, FVV, etc.

Could also be exploring trades for other veteran PG like Mike Conley, FVV, etc.
But Irvin sort of played more as a SG than a PG. Simmons has been playing as the playmaking PG and Royce has also been like a spot up PG in their offensive sets. I thought they wanted self-creation and scoring first and foremost from the guy who replaces Irvin.

But Irvin sort of played more as a SG than a PG. Simmons has been playing as the playmaking PG and Royce has also been like a spot up PG in their offensive sets. I thought they wanted self-creation and scoring first and foremost from the guy who replaces Irvin.
If that's the case I could see them pursuing another scorer

Hmmm Ben Simmons.

If you trade for him and buy him out over 5 years... You would be paying around 18 million a year. If he gets another contract let's say 9 million a year. You would have a 9 million a year cap hit.

Would that be worth it if the Nets give you 4 unprotected picks + 3 pick swaps in return plus Spencer Dinwiddie? You would probably need to trade Beas, Conley, Clarkson, and Olynyk and Gay.

Hmmm Ben Simmons.

If you trade for him and buy him out over 5 years... You would be paying around 18 million a year. If he gets another contract let's say 9 million a year. You would have a 9 million a year cap hit.

Would that be worth it if the Nets give you 4 unprotected picks + 3 pick swaps in return plus Spencer Dinwiddie? You would probably need to trade Beas, Conley, Clarkson, and Olynyk and Gay.
The Nets are pretty limited with the draft capital they can give up and they're not giving up that much to dump Ben Simmons, why wouldn't they just buy him out instead? You have to be landing a star to give up 3-4 unprotected FRPs.

Ben Simmons is not a negative player to Nets. He isnt worth his salary, but since he is a negative trade asset they will keep him unless you offer a swap without additional asset costs.

Let's say that a 20 million cap hit is worth an unprotected pick, and that Spencer is worth 1 pick.
So to unload Simmons, the Nets package him with 2 unprotected picks (one from Dallas) and 1 protected pick plus Spencer Dinwiddie for Conley, Clarkson, Beas, and Gay.
Anyway, you are right, they would just buy him out.

Let's say that a 20 million cap hit is worth an unprotected pick, and that Spencer is worth 1 pick.
So to unload Simmons, the Nets package him with 2 unprotected picks (one from Dallas) and 1 protected pick plus Spencer Dinwiddie for Conley, Clarkson, Beas, and Gay.
Anyway, you are right, they would just buy him out.
If the Nets are unloading guys like Simmons then their picks are going to be at a premium for them, IMO. Ben hasn't been great but he's still averaging like 10/8/8/2 PER36.

However, the second, deeper possibility every front office will be whiteboarding, is what happens with Luka Dončić. Even before this trade happened, execs I talked to on my road trip this past week, who were given anonymity so they could speak freely, were openly wondering if adding Irving could create a last-straw type situation that ends up pushing Dončić to seek the exits … much as happened with James Harden in Brooklyn. We don’t have any information that Dončić is unhappy, but we know Dallas is desperate. We know that because the Mavs just told us. Nothing says, “Everything is fine here,” like trading for the league’s most radioactive player, an accomplished amity arsonist now presented with fresh tinder. A logical follow-up question would be to wonder why the Mavs are so desperate right now.

– via John Hollinger @ The Athletic

Out of the players rumored here or elsewhere Duncan Robinson and Evan Fournier are both negative players and negative trade assets. Heat and Knicks need to pay to get rid of those contracts.

Ben Simmons is a positive player but also a very negative trade asset. The Nets dont need to dump him as he provides on-court value (9.7/8.6/8.5 on per36 with excellent defense) that is worth his minutes (27 per game). He handicaps them cap-wise though, but there is not sense in moving him as his contract is so expensive you would have to pay a lot to clear roughly 18M of bad money from the cap (Simmons is 36M, but a guy producing Ben's impact in 27 MPG should be like 18M guy.. so only half of Simmons salary is overpay).

John Collins instead is a positive player and a positive trade asset despite his contract, but since he is not producing up to his contract they have to sell him on a discount. But he still nets them assets in return, unlike the other guys here.