What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Out of the players rumored here or elsewhere Duncan Robinson and Evan Fournier are both negative players and negative trade assets. Heat and Knicks need to pay to get rid of those contracts.

Ben Simmons is a positive player but also a very negative trade asset. The Nets dont need to dump him as he provides on-court value (9.7/8.6/8.5 on per36 with excellent defense) that is worth his minutes (27 per game). He handicaps them cap-wise though, but there is not sense in moving him as his contract is so expensive you would have to pay a lot to clear roughly 18M of bad money from the cap (Simmons is 36M, but a guy producing Ben's impact in 27 MPG should be like 18M guy.. so only half of Simmons salary is overpay).

John Collins instead is a positive player and a positive trade asset despite his contract, but since he is not producing up to his contract they have to sell him on a discount. But he still nets them assets in return, unlike the other guys here.
Not sure I'd classify John Collins as a positive player or trade asset at this point.

He wants a FRP to take Collins contract back. He has gotten progressively worse over the last 4 seasons and you'd be committing to pay him $25M+ for the next three years.
True, but I'd rather pay Collins $25M for three more years than Duncan Robinson $19M for three more years, Simmons close to $40M for two more years or Bertans $16M for two more years. The discrepancy between salary and production is smaller for Collins than for some of the other guys that are often mentioned here.

True, but I'd rather pay Collins $25M for three more years than Duncan Robinson $19M for three more years, Simmons close to $40M for two more years or Bertans $16M for two more years. The discrepancy between salary and production is smaller for Collins than for some of the other guys that are often mentioned here.
I'd agree with that, I still think Collins can regain form as well, I don't think Duncan/Ben can, and I never thought Bertans was good to begin with.

He wants a FRP to take Collins contract back. He has gotten progressively worse over the last 4 seasons and you'd be committing to pay him $25M+ for the next three years.
True but still giving them back assets worth more than 1 FRP means they see value in Collins despite his contract. Its paying for hidden upside for sure, since 25M guy with his numbers is baggage unless your scouts tell you he can produce something close to 18/9 at least.

Albeit I'm not sure either Vando or Beasley right now is worth straight up 1 FRP (at least not better than 20ish pick). I think both were for sure more valuable 2 months ago than they are now at least.

True but still giving them back assets worth more than 1 FRP means they see value in Collins despite his contract. Its paying for hidden upside for sure, since 25M guy with his numbers is baggage unless your scouts tell you he can produce something close to 18/9 at least.

Albeit I'm not sure either Vando or Beasley right now is worth straight up 1 FRP (at least not better than 20ish pick). I think both were for sure more valuable 2 months ago than they are now at least.
Saying that you want a FRP and those players being valued like that are two different things. We're reportedly just asking for Obi, Fournier, and 1 pick for them in a package with NY.

Fournier’s contract isn’t even that bad. He basically becomes an expiring next year because the last year on his contract is a team option. Fournier + Toppin + a first for Vanderbilt/Beasley is my favorite proposal I’ve heard so far.

Tony Jones had an article this AM… mostly the same stuff we keep hearing… couple tidbits…

They have an offer from a western conference team for Vando that includes multiple seconds… I’m guessing this is the Portland offer and instead of Hart or something else I am guessing it’s Winslow and multiple seconds… pretty meh.

They had an offer earlier for Mike for expiring contracts… this may have been clips… if I’m guessing.

Sounds like we could find a path to cap space if we want.

Fournier’s contract isn’t even that bad. He basically becomes an expiring next year because the last year on his contract is a team option. Fournier + Toppin + a first for Vanderbilt/Beasley is my favorite proposal I’ve heard so far.
Depends on the first but still not a bad deal. With Bradley if you don’t trade him then you are keeping him on his option… so essentially Fournier and Beasley are on the same contract. It sounds like he wants an extension too which is not something I’d want to do. I’m guessing that’s a fall back in case nothing better turns up.I’d be happy with it.

If these are the options for Jazz ”improving” I’d rather stay put and look for next season.

Or is there another 2-3 first picks coming?

Also Thibs will hate Beasley… I almost feel bad sending him there.

Tony Jones had an article this AM… mostly the same stuff we keep hearing… couple tidbits…

They have an offer from a western conference team for Vando that includes multiple seconds… I’m guessing this is the Portland offer and instead of Hart or something else I am guessing it’s Winslow and multiple seconds… pretty meh.

They had an offer earlier for Mike for expiring contracts… this may have been clips… if I’m guessing.

So not really a ton of interest in our guys it seems...

If these are the options for Jazz ”improving” I’d rather stay put and look for next season.

Or is there another 2-3 first picks coming?
Staying put and keeping the pieces we have already deemed incompatible is the worst thing we can do. Beasley and Vando are likely not gonna grow value in backup / spot minute roles. Also keeping things as they are is gonna mean we likely wont make the playoffs or the top 10 odds in the lottery, so we end up in between and still have the same trade pieces in the offseason just with less value on them.

Imagine, if you can, a world wherein we had collected multiple seconds between the THT and Bojan trades, making today’s reports completely meaningless.