What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I agree that facilitating a trade with the Lakers works great. All in. I think it's the right type of move to collect assets.

I don't think we need to move all 3 pieces for Westbrook. Price is steep because I think players like Clarkson, Beasley, Conley, Bogdonovic, Beverley, and even Vanderbilt all can fetch assets individually. Trading 3 for Westbrook is an overpay because I think we can do the same thing with any two of them so long as contracts line up. I think Bogdonovic and Conley is a plus for the Lakers and gets us to the same place. Or perhaps 2 of them plus Gay for salary purposes to get a little extra for ourselves. So, in short, yeah, I think we can get more for those 3 players.

Suppose we get the same trade you are suggesting but we don't toss in all 3 and we rid ourselves of Gay. Then we flip Beverley for a young player or another draft pick. Then we get 2 unprotected +.

In short, the Laker's are screwed right now with Westbrook. They have been trying to dump him for 6 months with no success. Beggars can't be choosers. No need to put a bow on the gift.
I'm all in for getting the best deal, whatever that might be. So I think we're fundamentally on the same page here.

Still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate the Kings. What if the Kings sent Fox to the Lakers and Westbrook comes to the Jazz. Then the Jazz can still get whatever we can from our other pieces in subsequent trades with contenders.

Would you do this? I am assuming that the Jazz then get pick swaps with the Kings for 2023, 2025, and 2027. This essentially gets us 7 first round plics plus Davion Mitchell (Jared Butler's teammate) for Spida and Clarkson. Laker's could substitute Malik Beasley, Beverley, Conley (tougher with salary considerations), or Clarkson. I wouldn't do Bogdonovic because I think we can get more from him elsewhere.

Do the Laker's do it? It's win now time baby. Screw the future. LA will figure it out. De'Aaron Fox and Jordan Clarkson give so much more than Westbrook.

Do the King's do it? It's pretty rich. But if they want an All Star to partner with Keagan Murray? Two draft picks and 3 swaps with a team that is going to be floundering. It's not THAT rich tbh.

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_7-26-2022_1-44-47PM.png

Still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate the Kings. What if the Kings sent Fox to the Lakers and Westbrook comes to the Jazz. Then the Jazz can still get whatever we can from our other pieces in subsequent trades with contenders.

Would you do this? I am assuming that the Jazz then get pick swaps with the Kings for 2023, 2025, and 2027. This essentially gets us 7 first round plics plus Davion Mitchell (Jared Butler's teammate) for Spida and Clarkson. Laker's could substitute Malik Beasley, Beverley, Conley (tougher with salary considerations), or Clarkson. I wouldn't do Bogdonovic because I think we can get more from him elsewhere.

Do the Laker's do it? It's win now time baby. Screw the future. LA will figure it out. De'Aaron Fox and Jordan Clarkson give so much more than Westbrook.

Do the King's do it? It's pretty rich. But if they want an All Star to partner with Keagan Murray? Two draft picks and 3 swaps with a team that is going to be floundering. It's not THAT rich tbh.

View attachment 12801

I would do that

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

View attachment 12801
i don't like it. i need two more picks and those picks are too far down the road. and yeah, the kings laugh at that deal.

View attachment 12801
Maybe Im slow but where is the "7picks" part coming from? I see 4 and Davion.

View attachment 12801
There is no deal without Keegan to Utah

View attachment 12801

IMO, terrible deal for Utah and Sacramento. We need more picks or Fox/Murray, and Lakers don't shed nearly enough to get off of Russ + nab Fox in the process.

Very interesting potential trio of trade partners, though. The Kings have a ton of good looking assets.

Trading away Mitchell to get, well, Davion Mitchell and four picks that don't convey until 2026? Is the point to tank attendance next year?

Perceptions of Mitchell's value appears to have been badly affected by one season playing clearly not at 100%, with lots of roster turmoil and deep franchise changes all around.
Dude is 25, a truly beast scorer and a game changer in and off court. Some not serious franchises can be made instantly serious by the presence of this kid.

Perceptions of Mitchell's value appears to have been badly affected by one season playing clearly not at 100%, with lots of roster turmoil and deep franchise changes all around.
Dude is 25, a truly beast scorer and a game changer in and off court. Some not serious franchises can be made instantly serious by the presence of this kid.
He's also 6'1 and highly linked to New York, which is going to scare a lot of teams off.

And while he is very good, he has failed in the playoffs in a team sense (yes, he has had amazing individual scoring games). I dont think there is any team that is lookin at Mitchell as the final piece given his huge defensive issues.

He's also 6'1 and highly linked to New York, which is going to scare a lot of teams off.

And while he is very good, he has failed in the playoffs in a team sense (yes, he has had amazing individual scoring games). I dont think there is any team that is lookin at Mitchell as the final piece given his huge defensive issues.
While it's true height is a concern for today's NBA guards, Mitchell's got the physical tools and the ability needed to be at the least an average defender.
He'd be average or very close to it D within a more common, normal scheme. Quin required a lot from perimeter dudes, basically to play 4 on 5, which was clearly not within the range of Jazz roster. It was very good for some time, but NBA teams just crack it and it was no margin above. In the end Jazz got killed as a whole, not just Mitchell. I'd add to it that DM was not at 100%, it was fairly obvious.
Just MH(and-useless)O.

Last edited:
While it's true height is a concern for today's NBA guards, Mitchell's got the physical tools and the ability needed to be at the least an average defender.
He'd be average or very close to it D within a more common, normal scheme. Quin required a lot from perimeter dudes, basically to play 4 on 5, which was clearly not within the range of Jazz roster. It was very good for some time, but NBA teams just creack it and it was no margin above. In the end Jazz got killed as a whole, not just Mitchell. I'd add to it that DM was not at 100%, it was fairly obvious.
Just MH(and-useless)O.
He doesn't have the most important tool to be at least an average defender: will. If he can just turn his will on and off depending on if he wants to get someone traded or blow up the team, well he's not a real competitor and will never be even an average defender.

He doesn't have the most important tool to be at least an average defender: will. If he can just turn his will on and off depending on if he wants to get someone traded or blow up the team, well he's not a real competitor and will never be even an average defender.
I guess will is not a "tool" but more of a mind attribute/faculty;)

Don just hasn't been happy. Unhappy players are often uninspired players. There are plenty of great talents who ebb and flow depending on the circumstances they are in.

Our circumstances the last couple years plus have been pretty bad. The whole covid thing. A piss poor front office that never added talent and threw away assets. An underachieving "3rd star". A coach who lacked leadership and flexibility. A bad relationship between the best two players. Joe getting hurt then dumped was just the icing on the cake.

Don has played defense fine in the past and he'll do it again. The overreaction to that part of his game around here is laughable.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Don has played defense fine in the past and he'll do it again. The overreaction to that part of his game around here is laughable.
Quin has coached great teams to great success and he’ll do it again. The overreaction is laughable. DL has built a franchise fantastically and he’ll do it again. The overreaction is laughable.

Why is your comment fair but the latter two aren’t?