What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

This ain’t a rumor but I don’t wanna start a thread about this and wasn’t sure where else to tuck the thought.

Would the Heat be interested in Duncan Robinson + draft stuff for Markkanen? Like, maybe Jovic, ‘23 1st, Strus (routed to Lakers)?
You only do this if you think the value of the Heat '23 first is more than Markkanen (and even then you have to consider that Robinson's contract is likely 2 more years than the obligation to Markkanen). I don't.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of with the Lakers, but you need to consider:
  • Jazz can't take any more salaries than Robinson for Markkanen before reaching the luxury tax (which the hard cap prevents). They only have about $1.9 million to play with, if I'm understanding right and Robinson is about half a million more than Markkanen already. So Jovic could not come back (unless the Jazz took care of the space issue in another way).
  • Markkanen can't be aggregated yet (though maybe there's a way to pull off a multi-team trade without that?)

You only do this if you think the value of the Heat '23 first is more than Markkanen (and even then you have to consider that Robinson's contract is likely 2 more years than the obligation to Markkanen). I don't.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of with the Lakers, but you need to consider:
  • Jazz can't take any more salaries than Robinson for Markkanen before reaching the luxury tax (which the hard cap prevents). They only have about $1.9 million to play with, if I'm understanding right and Robinson is about half a million more than Markkanen already. So Jovic could not come back (unless the Jazz took care of the space issue in another way).
  • Markkanen can't be aggregated yet (though maybe there's a way to pull off a multi-team trade without that?)
The hard cap is ~$7 million above the LT, so I think they could do it. The other thing is maybe they trade Gay for Luke Kornet or waive and stretch him to get the space they need (the Jazz are definitely gonna wanna dodge the LT either way).

My calculation of Markkanen in this scenario is that the '23 pick and Jovic are many more years of team control than Markkanen and that I find Jovic intriguing, but I'm also giving a lot of weight to sending an NBA player on a cheap contract and RFA rights to close the deal with the Lakers. That prospective trade is the most important thing to pull off for maybe several years. Those picks are probably worth more than what the Jazz got back for Mitchell (kinda sad to think about...). If the Lakers need that to put it over the top then this is a no-brainer to me.

Markkanen could be a great piece depending on what the timeline is to rebound (but if this thing takes longer than we're hoping then probably better to trade him earlier than later). I really like Markkanen a lot. I like building the hoard of picks/rookies and knee-capping the team's ability to win more.

Last edited:
The hard cap is ~$7 million above the LT, so I think they could do it. The other thing is maybe they trade Gay for Luke Kornet or waive and stretch him to get the space they need (the Jazz are definitely gonna wanna dodge the LT either way).

My calculation of Markkanen in this scenario is that the '23 pick and Jovic are many more years of team control than Markkanen and that I find Jovic intriguing, but I'm also giving a lot of weight to sending an NBA player on a cheap contract and RFA rights to close the deal with the Lakers. That prospective trade is the most important thing to pull off for maybe several years. Those picks are probably worth more than what the Jazz got back for Mitchell (kinda sad to think about...). If the Lakers need that to put it over the top then this is a no-brainer to me.

Markkanen could be a great piece depending on what the timeline is to rebound (but if this thing takes longer than we're hoping then probably better to trade him earlier than later). I really like Markkanen a lot. I like building the hoard of picks/rookies and knee-capping the team's ability to win more.
Thanks. Hadn't realized that the apron is above the tax line.

But yeah, there's no way they go above the tax on this unless they can get back under it with something else that makes sense. If they can make the money work to get this all plus the Lakers two picks, then it's worth consideration. I'm a little doubtful that Strus is the piece that gets things there, but if it is, then yeah it's worth thinking about.

I feel like if the Lakers picks are actually available, we will have them this week. If they are not really available we need to move on. There is not something that we will come up with later that will move the needle.

I feel like if the Lakers picks are actually available, we will have them this week. If they are not really available we need to move on. There is not something that we will come up with later that will move the needle.
Likely true

Grizz are interesting. Danny Green and seconds might help fill the gap if the Lakers don’t want JC.

Danny Green likely out for the year but a contract they could use later with seconds to get another piece.

So JC to Grizz… Grizz send seconds and Green to LA… we send Beasley, Bogey to LA… Russ to Utah.

I posted this in another thread but we absolutely should shoot for a 1st with Green.

I posted this in another thread but we absolutely should shoot for a 1st with Green.
I agree it might be worth it... I generally view every trade proposal as coming with homer glasses so sometimes I try to err on the side being a little conservative.

I think LA could really use JC so they should value him higher than what we re-route their way.

Tweet has been deleted, what did it say?
Basically Kings, Grizz, Bucks, and Raptors have interest in Clarkson.

Following the departure of Donovan Mitchell, many around the league are anticipating the Jazz looking to move Jordan Clarkson, Bojan Bogdanovic and/or Mike Conley before the trade deadline. Clarkson has generated the most interest thus far with the Memphis Grizzlies, Milwaukee Bucks, Sacramento Kings and Toronto Raptors said to be teams with initial interest following Rudy Gobert’s departure earlier this offseason, sources told Fastbreak.

A team like that is probably going to want to do a deadline deal when they realize they need more.

That's why I say hold onto one of Clarkson or Beasley.
I think JC and Conley are both good candidates for this. Mike maybe moreso since his perceived value is lower atm.