What's new

TWolves at Jazz Thread? Meh...7:30PM MT...whatever...

one of my favorite self-confirming jazz fan myths of the year is that DMC is a good defender. he's actually not. there is a difference between being the energy-and-hustle guy and actually being a lockdown defender. he's definitely the former, not taking that away from him. but every time the jazz have asked DMC to be the latter, he's been lit up. his lateral movement isn't good so guys get away from him way too easily, and he has slow recognition when it comes to taking away angles.

simiilarly, hayward is not a great defender either. hayward has great defensive ABILITIES, which is why everybody thinks he should be the guy guarding durant, kobe, cp3, lebron, etc.... but the fact is, he does very little to make guys uncomfortable.

burks is quick enough, but fouls too much. foye is a joke on the defensive end.

our best wing defender is marvin, and it's not even close.

For the player who missed 20 games per season in his last 10 seasons Harp sure liked to point to AK's injuries as biggest reason he underachieved with Jazz. Matt, - it is kind of funny, when you are not picture of perfect health himself.

It felt more like Harpring was excusing the injuries, not baggin on them.
Also, with regards to harp's comments, he noted for a second time in two games (can't remember the first) when talking about Burks that "ya know, there are 29 other teams watching, so make your playing time count..." or similar. Has harp said that in reference to other players or just burks? He must be chatting with burks on the side and this comment has popped out on air...

For the player who missed 20 games per season in his last 10 seasons Harp sure liked to point to AK's injuries as biggest reason he underachieved with Jazz. Matt, - it is kind of funny, when you are not picture of perfect health himself.

It's not surprising that you identified what Harpring was saying as some sort of dig on AK instead of making excuses for him.

I agree; but what do you expect when Corbin names Derrick Favors the starting 4 to start last season and then caves after all of 2 games because Millsap didn't want to come off the bench?

Hold on a second. Corbin yanked Favors for Millsap two games in because Favors was awful and Millsap was far and away the best player on the team. He actually made the right call on that one.

Coincidentally, when the Jazz started Favors in Jefferson's place and he played next to Millsap, he went off and the Jazz beat a pretty good team after getting embarrassed in their first two.

one of my favorite self-confirming jazz fan myths of the year is that DMC is a good defender. he's actually not. there is a difference between being the energy-and-hustle guy and actually being a lockdown defender. he's definitely the former, not taking that away from him. but every time the jazz have asked DMC to be the latter, he's been lit up. his lateral movement isn't good so guys get away from him way too easily, and he has slow recognition when it comes to taking away angles.

i like DMC as a hustle guy playing spot minutes, but damn, this is so on the money. glad i'm not the only one in this camp.

Call me crazy but I still think Derrick Williams will be a player. Just not yet.

Maybe, but so far he looks slow, undersized for a 4 and too slow for a 3, and confused alot of the time.... plus he seems to play on a team that is easy to fit into

What bothers me is Favors' +/- of -2 over 16 minutes. And 0 rebounds for Millsap in almost half and hour?

Just saw that Favors dunk, it was nice.
I was at the game so was it the one were he dunked it 2 hands and was fouled on the elbow and so it should've been an and one and then immediately after someone on the Jazz got called for a very very ticky tack foul. Being at the game I might be blending different occurrences together, like when Love got a T my memory remembers boo'ing immensely that the next time down the court they called a weak shooting foul against Millsap and Love got FT's.

Guess I could look for the dunk on youtube or someone could just post it since it looked nice in person.

The Four were great in this game. Favors was BEASTING. So...why on earth did Corbin sub him out for Millsap in the 4th when we were up by 15? We had to be showcasing him for a potential trade partner.

It's not surprising that you identified what Harpring was saying as some sort of dig on AK instead of making excuses for him.

It was frustrating that Harpring was quiet about real reasons. I guess he can't do it on air.
You are well known AK hater so please explain why he got nice reception from Jazz fans during pregame introduction while Deron and Boozer got boos?

It was frustrating that Harpring was quiet about real reasons. I guess he can't do it on air.
You are well known AK hater so please explain why he got nice reception from Jazz fans during pregame introduction while Deron and Boozer got boos?

I don't live in Utah; but my understanding is AK was guy who gave a lot of time to local charities including his own. And he was sincere about it as well - which a lot of players are not.

I have to believe that counted for something.