What's new

Utah Hikes

What happened to his paw

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

They got all tore up and look like blisters. I think there was a stretch of hot sand that did it after he was in water. Dude can't even walk right now. We've cleaned him up and he looks so sad. Might take him to the vet in the morning. I feel pretty crappy about it.

They got all tore up and look like blisters. I think there was a stretch of hot sand that did it after he was in water. Dude can't even walk right now. We've cleaned him up and he looks so sad. Might take him to the vet in the morning. I feel pretty crappy about it.
I recommend putting a cone on if he is a licker. It will suck but it's for his own good and he will be better off in the long run

I recommend putting a cone on if he is a licker. It will suck but it's for his own good and he will be better off in the long run

He's not a licker. He can't even walk. He won't go outside to go to the bathroom and I can't move him cause he's so big. I can't get a vet appointment until tomorrow. I really hope he's ok. I feel terrible.

He's not a licker. He can't even walk. He won't go outside to go to the bathroom and I can't move him cause he's so big. I can't get a vet appointment until tomorrow. I really hope he's ok. I feel terrible.

Hope he recovers well, and enjoys more great walks!

Thanks, Red. I've been enjoying getting out and exploring Utah. Making the videos has just been a fun little bonus. Every year I tell myself I'm going to go adventuring and never did. This is the first year I finally feel like I'm doing everything I want to and it's been awesome.

I liked the channel you recommended. I'll sub for sure.

I took my dogs to Silver Lake Flat today. It was awesome but my big dog hurt his paws so I feel terrible. Poor guy, but I think he'll be ok. He's gonna get babied.

(I'm terrible at making titles for my videos. Haha)

That's at Tibble Fork, right? I did that hike last year for the first time. Did you hike up from Silver Lake to Silver Glance Lake? I thought that part was amazing.

That's at Tibble Fork, right? I did that hike last year for the first time. Did you hike up from Silver Lake to Silver Glance Lake? I thought that part was amazing.
I never have. I've always wanted to but the people I'm with are always pretty spent once we get to Silver Lake. It doesn't look all that far from Silver Lake on Google Earth. Do you know if there's fish in it?

I heard they got rid of the log ladder for Kannarraville Falls. Is that true? I've never done that one.

I hiked it two summers ago (I think? Or maybe it was last summer). And the log ladder was present. Pretty sketchy, though. If I recall correctly my one daughter and her boyfriend went up it, but I think my other daughter, wife, and I, did not--we decided to turn around there.

I never have. I've always wanted to but the people I'm with are always pretty spent once we get to Silver Lake. It doesn't look all that far from Silver Lake on Google Earth. Do you know if there's fish in it?
Have no idea about the fish, sorry. It's definitely worth the extra time, though. Gorgeous! Although it's really steep once you get past Silver Lake. Here's the view along the way, looking down on Silver Lake from above.
upload_2019-7-17_11-10-13.png

Have no idea about the fish, sorry. It's definitely worth the extra time, though. Gorgeous! Although it's really steep once you get past Silver Lake. Here's the view along the way, looking down on Silver Lake from above.
View attachment 7733

How long did it take you to hike to this spot? Was most of the trail shady? How were the bugs? I read on the all trails app that there’s a dead horse on the trail? That’s weird. This has been on the list and I hope to do it soon.

I recently did Lake Blanche. It took just under 2 hrs to get up. Beautiful scenery. I wasn’t expecting as many wildflowers or aspens. I didn’t think it was too bad going up until the final 1/4th or the trail where it gets rocky, the shade leaves the trail exposing you to the hot sun, and you have to do a U turn on a boulder patch. I didn’t like that. For some reason I go slow apparently coming down as it took me nearly 2 hrs to come down and am still feeling it in the quads (2 days later). I’ve read that most people make it down well under 2 hrs.

On the way up looking down Big Cottonwood:
EFCE6FC5-8735-4EB0-8066-B21701DD729F.jpeg

Nearing the lake:
302D74F5-C08B-4986-992F-913D766BBBD3.jpeg

The lake:
F9781E32-8232-46E6-A4C8-1B6904390F2B.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this. I saw some crazy people on the hike. I was passed by 3 trail runners. I have no idea how anyone would get into that great of shape to run Lake Blanche. But even if you were in that kind of shape, I have no idea how you’d do it. It’s not like the trail is paved. It’s well maintained but it’s still a mountain trail. There are rocks, roots, holes, wildlife, etc. I’d think you’d feel every rock on your shoes. Your feet, ankles, and knees would feel it.

So those are the real heroes. My hats off to them.

How long did it take you to hike to this spot? Was most of the trail shady? How were the bugs? I read on the all trails app that there’s a dead horse on the trail? That’s weird. This has been on the list and I hope to do it soon.

I hiked it last year in June. There was no dead horse. If I recall correctly the trail was surprisingly shady from the parking lot to Silver Lake, but then pretty exposed from Silver Lake to Silver Glance Lake. No bugs that I recall. I logged the hike with an app (probably mapmyhike) so I can tell you the exact amount of time I took: 2 hrs 26 mins up, and 1 hr 49 mins down. For what it's worth I consider myself to be an average speed hiker. Lots of people are faster, but lots of people are slower.

That was actually the hike that introduced me to the AllTrails app. Finding how to continue on the trail from Silver Lake to Silver Glance Lake was actually a little challenging, but we (me and two friends) ran into another hiker who had the app. He was looking for the same thing. He was able find it via the app, then we all hiked together to Silver Glance. Later that week I decided to purchase the paid version of the app myself to help with that type of thing when doing new trails on my own. Gives me a lot of confidence, actually, definitely worth the money for those who hike a lot.

I forgot to mention this. I saw some crazy people on the hike. I was passed by 3 trail runners. I have no idea how anyone would get into that great of shape to run Lake Blanche. But even if you were in that kind of shape, I have no idea how you’d do it. It’s not like the trail is paved. It’s well maintained but it’s still a mountain trail. There are rocks, roots, holes, wildlife, etc. I’d think you’d feel every rock on your shoes. Your feet, ankles, and knees would feel it.

So those are the real heroes. My hats off to them.
Yeah, I think each time I've hiked Timp I've been passed by trail runners who ran the entire way up. One such person used to live in my ward; when he wasn't trail running he was doing 100 mile long marathons. Crazy people, indeed.

View attachment 7733

Dang, man. Great picture. I'm going to have to make that hike sometime.

There's another lake up A.F. Canyon I've never been to. It's called, I think, Forest Lake. Has anyone been there? Is it worth going? If I remember correctly, the roads are pretty rough to get to it so you want to be on a ATV or motorcycle.

A.F. has some of the best single track motorcycle trails in the U.S. They're absolutely amazing and well above my skill level on a big bike like my KLR to do, but I'm going to do one of them one day to prove I can or can't. Haha

I want to do Red Castle Lake in the Uintahs this year. Pictures of that lake are amazing.

Yeah, I think each time I've hiked Timp I've been passed by trail runners who ran the entire way up. One such person used to live in my ward; when he wasn't trail running he was doing 100 mile long marathons. Crazy people, indeed.
One of these trail runners died last October above Tibble Fork. He didn't get up the canyon until 5 PM and was alone. I guess he tripped and fell to his death. Mountain running can not be good for the body.

This isn’t necessary about hiking but have any of you been to mirror lake? Have you ever camped there? What about Christmas meadows? What did y’all think?

This isn’t necessary about hiking but have any of you been to mirror lake? Have you ever camped there? What about Christmas meadows? What did y’all think?
I'm guessing almost everyone has been to mirror lake.
I camped by mirror lake a few weeks ago at Washington lake. A couple miles away from mirror lake.
Awesome area

I have a few videos of some hikes on my YouTube Channel.

Hikes I've done.
Observation Point -Zion.
Pretty much parts of every hike at Bryce starting at Sunset Point.
Mossy Cave and Falls - easy and beautiful.
Roast me. Haha

I just climbed Topaz Mountain last week.

I'm going to hike to Silver Flat Lake this weekend. I have a ton more I want to do this year too.

So, Archie, you are the Toad Moto. Wow, fantastic. I've been itching to do some hiking since I moved here, but my gf is not a hiker. We are going to Zion in a couple of weeks. Not really hardcore hiking but a beautiful place, as you know. I have to visit some of these spots. The one Colton showed looks amazing.