What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

Thabo is done for the year so he doesn't help us at all this year.

Herzonja is no gamble at all really. We get to test drive him the rest of this season and he helps us more than Thabo does. If Herzonja fits, we keep him for wing depth. If he doesn't, we lose him for a future 2nd.

To argue this idea is arguing just to argue.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

You horribly underrate Thabo, bad! I want him for next year.

This team will be IMO much better, Rubio with a full year in this system, Mitchell could be an allstar stud next year O'Neale will be improved, and hopefully a healthy Gobert all year long. Thabo fits this team like White on rice, and fits the defensive identity. I'd rather have that for this team next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we can be good next year, and I think Thabo will be a key part, so it's not like you're giving up nothing.

READ THE POST. GOOD LORD GUYS:

"If we trade Thabo and Orlando declines his option for next year, we can re-sign him in the offseason."

Too much risk that you lose the guy you already have. Denver was rumored to want OG Anunoby when they traded with the Jazz. Utah got a star, and OG got picked one spot ahead of them. You only make trades where you know the outcome is in your favor.

Herzonja isn't loved in Orlando. They are going to let him walk anyway. It's a rental for a 2nd round pick. They basically get a second round pick for letting a guy expire they don't plan to bring back.

As far as my reqction to a trade like that. Shrug. Sounds expensive when we could just sign him in 4 months.

Too much risk? Herzonja is an unrestricted free agent.

Thabo is more valuable to Utah than Hezonja.

Trading him is a bad idea. Jazz need another Defensive wing to help match up with GSW, Houston or OKC.

You want to send Jerebko to Orlando to rent Hezonja. . . I’m okay with that. But keep Thabo unless you absolutely have to shed salary.

Please follow the logic:

#1 we trade Hood for a first. This is based on reports.

#2 we have a depth issue while we make this playoff run

#3 we trade a future 2nd (we have 2 extras) and a hurt player for a guy with great upside but no long term contract

We get him now to see if he fits. It would be ignorant to sign him to some $5-10 million a year deal this summer when he might not fit.

Side Note - Orlando fans hate him because they see him as a bust. Which he has been. However, our fan base wouldn't have unrealistic expectations on the guy so bad that we turn on him. That's the difference of being drafted in the lottery vs being obtained for a 2nd.

Please follow the logic:

#3 we trade a future 2nd (we have 2 extras) and a hurt player for a guy with great upside but no long term contract

We get him now to see if he fits. It would be ignorant to sign him to some $5-10 million a year deal this summer when he might not fit.

Side Note - Orlando fans hate him because they see him as a bust. Which he has been. However, our fan base wouldn't have unrealistic expectations on the guy so bad that we turn on him. That's the difference of being drafted in the lottery vs being obtained for a 2nd.

"LOPO logic"

Please follow the logic:

Just stop. Your reasoning is asinine

Mario is a good target but the team that acquires him is restricted in what they can offer him. Just pick him up in FA. It’s almost better to not get him now.

The other thing is I still think we can get Niko in the offseason but it will require us to have our unguaranteed guys as trade filler. Thabo and Jerebko for Niko works and will bring the salary relief NO will want.

Let Mario audition and get lots of playing time for the magic. He won’t get that time here anyway. Thabos contract has good trade value and if it doesn’t get used then he has proven to be valuable on and off the court.

Thabo is not playing!!!!!!!!! Jerekbo is. How can you not see the logic? Thabo is not staying in Orlando. They want to blow it all up.
You can’t be short sighted about assets. Thabo might be out, but I firmly see him in the plans for next year. Jerebko is more uncertain. If I had to put a value one them, Thabo edges Jerebko and is my vote to stay. I’d look to pick up another PF off the buyout list to fill his minutes and contribution, and have both Hezonja and Jingles get some minutes at the 4 in small ball lineups.

what lopo says makes sense to me.
We lose hood and need some depth since we are trying to make the playoffs so we add mario. We dont actually lose thabo because he isn't actually playing anyway. We pick him up after orlando lets him go if we want him back.

Not that hard to follow imo. I can understand some people seeing a small amount of risk from losing thabo, a player we all like, but i mean we are playing pretty good without him right now imo and he is kinda old and coming off a pretty serious injury. Plus it would seem like we would have a decent chance of getting him back if we really wanted to. Not a certainty (hence the small risk) but a decent chance anyway.
If we dont get him back then its not a huge franchise changing deal breaker or anything. Royce has taken over for thabo pretty good imo.

Then there is the possibility that mario turns things around and we develop him.

You horribly underrate Thabo, bad! I want him for next year.

This team will be IMO much better, Rubio with a full year in this system, Mitchell could be an allstar stud next year O'Neale will be improved, and hopefully a healthy Gobert all year long. Thabo fits this team like White on rice, and fits the defensive identity. I'd rather have that for this team next year

I love Thabo, but he's gonna be 34 soon and just tore his MCL. Not sure how much we should expect from him in the future.

Here is the deal with Mario... his option was declined which means the magic or any time that acquires him can only offer him 5.2M in FA. So if he does well a team can easily beat an offer we could make. For that reason it’s just better to sign him in FA to a multi year deal and hopefully get a team option. Trading for him now eliminates the Thabo trade asset and might hamper our ability to keep him.

No one should offer him more than that but much crazier things have happened with guys playing well in limited sample sizes.

Now that he’s showing some promise I’d love to get him in FA and let a real development staff go to work.