What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

So looking at Tankathon I noticed that only a 1.5 games separates 1-8. There is an opportunity to raid those bottom teams of good players because they need to lose hard.

I know we have kicked around Evan Fournier a ton, but if the price is AB and salary filler plus a second for him are we in? His contract is long but he's productive... I mean he might be a $15M a year player and is just slightly overpaid. The big motivation for them is getting off of money and losing even more. They going to do better than that?

IDK, but the GMs for those teams owe it to their tanks to make moves to lose.

How so? Haven't really seen any of him at all.. What's going on with him? Loved him predraft.

Small and a volume shooter, but not lights out. Can't get on the floor for a team that needs a scoring punch and shooting. Clearly wanted to be in NY and wasn't real happy to go to a small market.

Just not a guy I see and think he'd fit great here... doesn't mean he's a "bad" guy... just don't see him as a fit. I think he would have value... could likely get a decent first rounder or a couple lower tier first rounders from a team like Atlanta.

So looking at Tankathon I noticed that only a 1.5 games separates 1-8. There is an opportunity to raid those bottom teams of good players because they need to lose hard.

I know we have kicked around Evan Fournier a ton, but if the price is AB and salary filler plus a second for him are we in? His contract is long but he's productive... I mean he might be a $15M a year player and is just slightly overpaid. The big motivation for them is getting off of money and losing even more. They going to do better than that?

IDK, but the GMs for those teams owe it to their tanks to make moves to lose.

Yeh awesome! **** targeting an all nba FA next year when we can overpay Fournier...

When we think of trade ideas can we follow these 2 rules:

1) No Rudy, No DM
2) Dont bring back salary that doesnt expire next season.

Simple.

Oh yeh and just to be clear, **** Evan Fournier!

Small and a volume shooter, but not lights out. Can't get on the floor for a team that needs a scoring punch and shooting. Clearly wanted to be in NY and wasn't real happy to go to a small market.

Just not a guy I see and think he'd fit great here... doesn't mean he's a "bad" guy... just don't see him as a fit. I think he would have value... could likely get a decent first rounder or a couple lower tier first rounders from a team like Atlanta.
I would agree with this

Cleveland was rumored as wanting Howard. Charlotte getting Hernangomez could be precursor to that deal. Could Utah be a third party?

Yeh awesome! **** targeting an all nba FA next year when we can overpay Fournier...

1) No Rudy, No DM

Simple.

So I think we should try and be players in the 2019 FA but... more teams will have space, the cap is going up that year again (7-8M more), we have never really been a marquee FA destination.

We'd be lucky to get in on guys like Middleton, but have no realistic shot at the All NBA guys.

Even picking up Evan we'd have around $33-35M in space that year depending on where Dante came in. I figure between 7-10M. You could also move Evan if you needed space as he'd have 2/34M left on his deal... very movable imo.

I just think banking on FA to get a star is a moonshot that will not payoff. Ask Dallas, LA, NY how that has worked out for them and they are desirable markets.

Cleveland was rumored as wanting Howard. Charlotte getting Hernangomez could be precursor to that deal. Could Utah be a third party?

Oh ****... they looked at their locker room and said "how can we make this worse? I hear Howard is available. Get it done!"

1) No Rudy, No DM

Simple.

We need to be value traders... if there is a value on the market that fits and doesn't cripple us go get it. Evan would be a good fit for us... we can't keep punting years in hopes of landing an improbable star.

Another lowkey good move for us would be to send AB and a second to the Kings for Temple and Richardson. Temple's salary is a little smaller than AB's they get a second and clear the roster spot to move Hill and move full tank ahead.

If we sent Hood out I think Temple would really help. Good defender, adequate shooter, can play a little at the point in a pinch, and fantastic locker room guy... like one of the best.

So I think we should try and be players in the 2019 FA but... more teams will have space, the cap is going up that year again (7-8M more), we have never really been a marquee FA destination.

We'd be lucky to get in on guys like Middleton, but have no realistic shot at the All NBA guys.

Even picking up Evan we'd have around $33-35M in space that year depending on where Dante came in. I figure between 7-10M. You could also move Evan if you needed space as he'd have 2/34M left on his deal... very movable imo.

I just think banking on FA to get a star is a moonshot that will not payoff. Ask Dallas, LA, NY how that has worked out for them and they are desirable markets.

We better get someone otherwise DL may be asked for an explanation.

There is a tremendous opportunity right now and next season for any team with cap space (everyone is/will be clearing room for 18/19 Free Agency). Id hate for us to waste that opportunity for nothing.

We need to be value traders... if there is a value on the market that fits and doesn't cripple us go get it. Evan would be a good fit for us... we can't keep punting years in hopes of landing an improbable star.

No. You go get Kembla not Evan ****ing Fournier. He has zero value as an overpaid peice in a tightening market.

There is a tremendous opportunity right now and next season for any team with cap space (everyone is/will be clearing room for 18/19 Free Agency). Id hate for us to waste that opportunity for nothing.
I've been saying for weeks (months?) that making a trade is hard and when DL surveys the landscape, he's not going to like the returns we'd be getting, and that a JJ buyout may likely be our only move. Nobody wanted to hear that because everyone was so insistent that we had so many assets with value and that DL was surely going to be spinning it into something nice, and to believe that he wouldn't means that you don't have confidence in the guy who got us DM and RG. Now we'll be faced with the cold, hard reality and everyone will jump on the cake baking bandwagon and repeat the mantra "it's just so hard to move people in today's NBA." The expectations were unreasonably high and attempts to bring those down previously failed miserably.

[I think that's why so many couldn't get on the Mirotic bandwagon because we expected so much more.]

boil-the-frog.jpg

So getting Fournier doesn't cost us that opportunity and you said yourself everyone is clearing space for that summer... so it will be friggin crowded. We would end up coming away with someone in Evan's tier as a player is my guess. To play in FA this year we have to make some moves we probably shouldn't and the crop isn't great.

Why do you hate Evan so much? He looks funny but he's a good player... his contract isn't a bargain, but it isn't bad either.

I've been saying for weeks (months?) that making a trade is hard and when DL surveys the landscape, he's not going to like the returns we'd be getting, and that a JJ buyout may likely be our only move. Nobody wanted to hear that because everyone was so insistent that we had so many assets with value and that DL was surely going to be spinning it into something nice, and to believe that he wouldn't means that you don't have confidence in the guy who got us DM and RG. Now we'll be faced with the cold, hard reality and everyone will jump on the cake baking bandwagon and repeat the mantra "it's just so hard to move people in today's NBA." The expectations were unreasonably high and attempts to bring those down previously failed miserably.

[I think that's why so many couldn't get on the Mirotic bandwagon because we expected so much more.]

boil-the-frog.jpg

We gonna get Niko for 50 cents on the dollar this offseason... you watch. Cap relief wouldn't have helped us much and I don't think giving up our pick would have been wise.

DL finds another gem in the draft, we trade Hood for a pick, we get Evan for a bargain and get Niko on the cheap... super team with some upside. I guarantee all of these things happen... unless they don't.

We gonna get Niko for 50 cents on the dollar this offseason... you watch. Cap relief wouldn't have helped us much and I don't think giving up our pick would have been wise.

DL finds another gem in the draft, we trade Hood for a pick, we get Evan for a bargain and get Niko on the cheap... super team with some upside. I guarantee all of these things happen... unless they don't.
Time's-a-tickin'.