What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

Discussion today is around Hood going to Detroit for Stanley Johnson. He'd be on his rookie deal for another two years.

Johnson is really on for one more year depending on accepting a QO. I’m lukewarm as I don’t want to lose Hood for nothing, but would rather have a pick.

I think Johnson would be acquired to be a 2nd unit player. He would add some much needed energy and defense. Under Thabo's wing, Johnson could develop into an Iguodala type player for us.

We only trade Hood to Detroit for Johnson if we get a future pick or Kennard.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Regarding all this talk of Kennard, I don't think there's any chance Detroit gives him up in a deal for Hood. He's shown some flashes of great basketball and I think they're really excited about him. You can guarantee the Clippers tried to get him too, but they weren't moving him in the Blake Griffin package.

Last edited:
I have no interest in a Stanley Johnson-Rodney Hood trade unless they are sending us Luke Kennard as well. And I don't think that they would add Kennard. So, no deal. We can find a better trade elsewhere.

Yeah, the Wall news is music to Detroit fans. The Wiz are a mess.

Rubio would fit well there, but we would have to take Mahinmi to make it happen. I doubt Porter gets traded.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have no interest in a Stanley Johnson-Rodney Hood trade unless they are sending us Luke Kennard as well. And I don't think that they would add Kennard. So, no deal. We can find a better trade elsewhere.

Johnson would be the ultimate tank move start him with Ricky Rudy Favs... no shooting lineup... lose every game until the end of the season and draft Doncic...

DL you sly fox.

Hoopshype reporting the Pistons are looking at a Hood for Stanley Johnson trade. Hmm.

Just a reminder: Hoopshype doesn't typically report. In most cases (including this one) it aggregates.

In this case, it's a Kevin O'Connor "The Ringer" article from yesterday shortly after the Griffin trade went down: "Multiple sources say that they are after Jazz guard Rodney Hood and could send out forward Stanley Johnson."

So it's neither all that new this morning, nor is it from the Jazz perspective (more like a Pistons wish list).

Of course, there could be something there still. O'Connor generally has a decent reputation as a reporter. But the report itself says nothing one way or the other about the Jazz's interest.

The Jazz are 100% not trading Hood for Johnson straight up. they have 0 assets outside of Kennard, so unless they want to do Kennard for Hood straight up, not **** going to happen. like Idiot said, this is most likely just the aggregate sites reading the KOC rumor from yesterday and assuming it still applies post-Griffin trade.

They cant even trade their 2020 pick because of the protections currently on the 2018 pick
I think they can specify it as something along the lines of "first round pick 2 years after the pick to LAC conveys". The OKC pick we had was similar. We got that pick in 2015, while OKC still had a conditional pick obligation to PHI. It didn't convey in 2015 because it didn't satisfy the condition and we had to wait for the OKC 2016 pick to convey to PHI in order to get the 2018 pick. We can do similar trade for the first available DET pick after the pick to LAC is conveyed.

So follow me if you will....

Clips trade Bradley to Cavs for Frye and Cavs' 2018 1st (very reasonable and logical trade for both)

We then trade Burks and Favors to Clips for Gallinari and Cav's 2018 1st (Clippers would love to shed DG's deal while staying 2018 relevant)

We then trade Rubio and our 2nd for Gortat, Frazier (expiring) and Wiz 2018 1st

We then trade Gortat to Bucks for Teletovic (Bucks want to win now, need a center, and Teletovic has had medical issues although he gives us another stretch 4. We save some money on this deal since Gortat makes a couple million more than Teletovic)

Result:
PG Mitchell
SG Hood
SF Ingles
PF Gallinari
C Gobert
Bench - Udoh, Exum, O'Neale, Jerekbo, Teletovic, Neto, Bradley, Thabo (expiring), JoeJ (expiring), Frazier (expiring)
Picks - Our 1st, Cavs' 1st and Wiz 1st
We probably pay the luxury in 2018-19, but we would be clear when we hit 2019.

Now that a trade has gone down, a big one no less, I’m hoping the damn breaks and teams start making moves.

DL hear my cries! All in brother, all in. Bus or Tank makes no damn difference! Just choose one and burn away everything else.

Let’s do this!!!
From a lot of what I've heard is teams are only lukewarm on jazz players. We all know the jazz won't make a trade just to make one. Sounds as if teams might want us to take their crap contracts for less. It might be hard to make a trade. I'm preparing for there to not be a trade.

So follow me if you will....

Clips trade Bradley to Cavs for Frye and Cavs' 2018 1st (very reasonable and logical trade for both)

We then trade Burks and Favors to Clips for Gallinari and Cav's 2018 1st (Clippers would love to shed DG's deal while staying 2018 relevant)

We then trade Rubio and our 2nd for Gortat, Frazier (expiring) and Wiz 2018 1st

We then trade Gortat to Bucks for Teletovic (Bucks want to win now, need a center, and Teletovic has had medical issues although he gives us another stretch 4. We save some money on this deal since Gortat makes a couple million more than Teletovic)

Result:
PG Mitchell
SG Hood
SF Ingles
PF Gallinari
C Gobert
Bench - Udoh, Exum, O'Neale, Jerekbo, Teletovic, Neto, Bradley, Thabo (expiring), JoeJ (expiring), Frazier (expiring)
Picks - Our 1st, Cavs' 1st and Wiz 1st
We probably pay the luxury in 2018-19, but we would be clear when we hit 2019.
I want no part of Gallo. That contract is about as bad as it gets