What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

If I was one of the tier 2 teams I would be going after Lebron right now. I guess anyone not named GS that is a top 4 seed in either conference. Boston I guess cant really trade for Lebron with Kyrie but they should. Send over picks, Hayward, and Smart. That could win them a chip this year. Or better yet teams like Toronto, Timberwolves, Bucks, Portland, or Wizards should go after him.

Cleveland probably says no or Lebron vetoes the trade but some of those teams have no chance at winning a championship this year or in the foreseeable future. They might as well swing for the fences for one year. Then they would also have a chance at re-signing Lebron if they got close or even won it.

Haha.. we'll see man! Good observation - something to watch out for, LOL.

I think they're on the rise in the standings so they should be 7th at the worst as the Pelicans are gonna drop.

They are the worst team in the West and 2nd worst in the NBA on the road this year. They take advantage of the altitude at home with a big offense, but that wont be as big of an advantage in the playoffs when it slows down.

We shall see what Millsap brings when he gets back but I am not sure he will be a big help to them.

I love how we are finally mostly healthy, we have won 4 straight, we are looking dominant, and yet we are talking about Denver being the next Warriors. Seriously, WTF?

Do you think the Jazz FO gives an ultimatum to Fav that we need to know if you will sign an extension with us before the trade deadline. If Fav does not, then we trade him?

Do you think the Jazz FO gives an ultimatum to Fav that we need to know if you will sign an extension with us before the trade deadline. If Fav does not, then we trade him?

A verbal ultimatum? Those don't happen because Favors has no idea what the market is for him out there and is illegal to negotiate in season.

I would not be surprised if the FO reached out to Favors and/or his representation prior to the deadline to see where everyone is. I don't think anybody says anything definitive on their intentions.

Most of you know this, but I just don't see Favors and Gobert playing together hardly at all if we become a playoff team. If we spent $10+ on him, it could be wasted come playoff time. Then again, we might need him big time to get to the playoffs and if Gobert gets hurt.

Overall, we just need to keep him available but only trade him if it gets us an asset that's worth it. To me, that asset needs to be one of a few things:

- if we could package Favors with Burks to dump Burks' 2018-19 contract, that would be worth it (Hawks possible)
- if we could use Favors to get a late 1st, then I think we need to do it (Cavs possible)
- use Favors to get a future lottery protected 1st (most of the league currently in the playoff race)

So a name I haven't really heard discussed around here is Raul Neto. I've seen rumors going around that there are teams interested in trading for him. Do you guys think the Jazz would trade him? What do you think we could get in return? Personally I like Raul. He always seems to play really well in the limited minutes he gets. I'd like to keep him around.

So a name I haven't really heard discussed around here is Raul Neto. I've seen rumors going around that there are teams interested in trading for him. Do you guys think the Jazz would trade him? What do you think we could get in return? Personally I like Raul. He always seems to play really well in the limited minutes he gets. I'd like to keep him around.
More than what Marcus Smart gets.

They are the worst team in the West and 2nd worst in the NBA on the road this year. They take advantage of the altitude at home with a big offense, but that wont be as big of an advantage in the playoffs when it slows down.

We shall see what Millsap brings when he gets back but I am not sure he will be a big help to them.

What's your point? I'm not saying they're gonna be top 5 this year. The question was whether they'll face GSW in the 1st round, and I think they'll be 7th at the worst so I don't think that's gonna happen.

I like Neto too. A lot. But he is kind of obsolete for this team. If we can get something decent then we should trade him.

I’m pretty sure no one would offer anything decent though so we will keep him.

I like Raul, but if they plan to keep both Rubio and Exum (and assuming Exumg ets a long-term deal), I’m not sure the Jazz should stress too much about trading Neto tbh.

If I were DL, I’d offer Neto, Jerebko and a 2nd round pick to the Clippers for Milos Teodosic. See if they bite. For $6 million, I think he’d be a helluva backup next year behind Rubio.

Favors can't sign an extension even if the two sides wanted to. That ship sailed in October. He will be an UFA. I keep asking, for those who want to trade him, to come up with decent scenarios. Here are the major guard rails:

1. DL will not take on contracts >1 yr without getting back a 1st or significant asset.
2. DL will not give up a 1st unless that player is a major upgrade (as evidenced by his refusal to trade for Mirotic).

Favors can't sign an extension even if the two sides wanted to. That ship sailed in October. He will be an UFA. I keep asking, for those who want to trade him, to come up with decent scenarios. Here are the major guard rails:

1. DL will not take on contracts >1 yr without getting back a 1st or significant asset.
2. DL will not give up a 1st unless that player is a major upgrade (as evidenced by his refusal to trade for Mirotic).
I’ll be shocked if they get an offer they like and Favors gets traded. Not sure what that means for his future, but I’d love to see him come back. I know that’s not a popular position, but I’d be all for it.

can you explain more of his argument, please? I don't get it

Like if a team goes on a winning streak, ownership would pressure the GM to make a win now deal. A deal that the owner wouldn't have told the GM to make had they not gone on a winning streak.

I would put the entire trade deadline on Monday night's game at New Orleans. If we win, we're 3 games under .500 and just beat the 7 seed who we are 3 games behind. If we lose the game, we are 5 games under .500 with 29 games left and 5 games behind the 7 seed.

If we win, I think we should maybe do a minor deal like trade Burks, Joe Johnson or maybe Neto. We could make the argument that we need continuity since we have a 6 game win streak and Exum close to returning. If we lose, we should be aggressive with any opportunity. Keeping everything intact trying to make up a 5 game deficit to be anything better than the 8 seed is just ludicrous. Get assets for expirings. Be opportunistic.

I know they won't look at it like that, but if we are debating a trade with this guy or a trade with that guy, use the Monday night game as the tiebreaker.

I like Raul, but if they plan to keep both Rubio and Exum (and assuming Exumg ets a long-term deal), I’m not sure the Jazz should stress too much about trading Neto tbh.

If I were DL, I’d offer Neto, Jerebko and a 2nd round pick to the Clippers for Milos Teodosic. See if they bite. For $6 million, I think he’d be a helluva backup next year behind Rubio.
Giving up all those assets to get a guy that they (apparently) could have had last offseason without giving up any?

I would put the entire trade deadline on Monday night's game at New Orleans. If we win, we're 3 games under .500 and just beat the 7 seed who we are 3 games behind. If we lose the game, we are 5 games under .500 with 29 games left and 5 games behind the 7 seed.

If we win, I think we should maybe do a minor deal like trade Burks, Joe Johnson or maybe Neto. We could make the argument that we need continuity since we have a 6 game win streak and Exum close to returning. If we lose, we should be aggressive with any opportunity. Keeping everything intact trying to make up a 5 game deficit to be anything better than the 8 seed is just ludicrous. Get assets for expirings. Be opportunistic.

I know they won't look at it like that, but if we are debating a trade with this guy or a trade with that guy, use the Monday night game as the tiebreaker.
Takes two to tango. What do you think is out there for Burks, JJ and Neto?
Burks: Nothing. To dump his salary likely means giving up a future 1st. You do that this summer if the Jazz need cap space for a FA.
JJ: Contenders suspect he'll be bought out. He's only included in a trade to make salaries match. But the Jazz showed with Mirotic they're not serious about bringing in major talent if it means giving up an asset. Mirotic was the PERFECT fit at the Jazz' most critical position of need. And still Lindsey refused to deal.
Neto: Perhaps a 2nd round pick for Gobert's best friend/traveling companion. Nope. Absolutely not. If Neto leaves of his own accord, that's one thing. If he's traded, you piss off Rudy.