What's new

Utah-v-BYU

Completely underwhelmed by BYU last night. Wilson looked like he had shoulder surgery and wasn’t all the way back.
I’m not sure what the hell kept happening, but multiple times we had receivers that were so close they could have reached out and touched. That doesn’t work very well. I’ve never been a huge fan fan of the DC. I don’t think he’s very good at making in game adjustments.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Completely underwhelmed by BYU last night. Wilson looked like he had shoulder surgery and wasn’t all the way back.
I’m not sure what the hell kept happening, but multiple times we had receivers that were so close they could have reached out and touched. That doesn’t work very well. I’ve never been a huge fan fan of the DC. I don’t think he’s very good at making in game adjustments.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

As a Utes fan I was thoroughly impressed with Wilson in the first half barring that one mistake. It seemed like he had a good grasp on the offense, was reading the defense well, and was getting the ball out fast. The offense was moving.

The second half was a completely different story though. He was almost opposite of his first half play. Indecisive, making bad reads and more or less rattled. Hopefully for him this will be a lesson learned. I still think he has a ton of potential as he has shown.

As a Utes fan I was thoroughly impressed with Wilson in the first half barring that one mistake. It seemed like he had a good grasp on the offense, was reading the defense well, and was getting the ball out fast. The offense was moving.

The second half was a completely different story though. He was almost opposite of his first half play. Indecisive, making bad reads and more or less rattled. Hopefully for him this will be a lesson learned. I still think he has a ton of potential as he has shown.

I still really like Wilson. Just was not impressed with him yesterday. I wonder how much the shoulder surgery and lack of any live action during camp had to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Until BYU joins a conference, the UofU will have the upper hand in recruiting and therefore in winning. Wilson would be a Ute if he had been given the choice.

The U has plenty of room for improvement if they are going to stay in the top 15. It definitely looked like an opening game, and I expect next week to be better.

I'm not a diehard fan of either team (Go Aggies!) and usually choose who I want to win based on which team has the best chance of doing something useful with their season. That's been the Utes for many years now.

This is the Utes year. Their best team and best chance at a conference championship.
Out of the 22 starters in the game for the Utes last night 15 were seniors.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Only concern for me on the Utes side is the kick game. We've had a great string of kickers but this could hamper our aspirations.

It cracked me up how the tv guys kept going on and on about the left footed kicker causing problems. Dude’s not the first left footed kicker to ever do it, and they all figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Another thing, they should never have their back up QB come in and run their stupid gadget plays again. They have a really good QB that can make big time plays, never take the ball out of his hands.
Such a bad decision.
I think they are throwing him a bone so that he doesn't leave.
Still, horrible decision

Only concern for me on the Utes side is the kick game. We've had a great string of kickers but this could hamper our aspirations.
I still worry about the passing game for the Utes. Just like every other year

Last year they abandoned the run too often and it got them into trouble. They’re always going to be a hit you in the mouth on offense and defense type of team. That’s when they’re at their best, plus the utes historically never look good game one.
Exactly. They are a hit you in the mouth team.
So their weakness is having a passing game to win shootouts consistently.

Now if their defense plays like they normally do then that weakness doesn't manifest itself cause they don't need to air it out. Still a weakness that I see year after year. It's not a secret. Every Utah fan I know complains about the Utes "throw" game, or lack there of. It's also why they always change OC's.
It's not a big deal because they are so good at their strengths but I still think the passing game could be a problem for the Utes in some games. Along with the kicking. (Though that's usually a strength)

Exactly. They are a hit you in the mouth team.
So their weakness is having a passing game to win shootouts consistently.

Now if their defense plays like they normally do then that weakness doesn't manifest itself cause they don't need to air it out. Still a weakness that I see year after year. It's not a secret. Every Utah fan I know complains about the Utes "throw" game, or lack there of. It's also why they always change OC's.
It's not a big deal because they are so good at their strengths but I still think the passing game could be a problem for the Utes in some games. Along with the kicking. (Though that's usually a strength)

Yep. Those are two MAJOR issues too imo. Kicking can lose you games. And offensively, this isn’t 1987. Teams fling the ball all over the place with ease and can score 35-40 no problem. If the Utes want to win some big games this year, they can’t be one dimensional.

Yep. Those are two MAJOR issues too imo. Kicking can lose you games. And offensively, this isn’t 1987. Teams fling the ball all over the place with ease and can score 35-40 no problem. If the Utes want to win some big games this year, they can’t be one dimensional.
Well they didn’t exactly need to throw it vs BYU. My point is that this is how they would rather play if they can. It’s still to early to say they can’t throw the ball. They only threw 16 balls and completed 13, 2 of those being drops.

Well they didn’t exactly need to throw it vs BYU. My point is that this is how they would rather play if they can. It’s still to early to say they can’t throw the ball. They only threw 16 balls and completed 13, 2 of those being drops.

You say its too early to tell but i have years of data to go off.