What's new

Utah-v-BYU

I don’t get it.
I think you probably get but it's just not funny and quite stupid (look at who posted it and then who commented on it thinking it was funny and you might understand)

It's saying that byu fans are so dumb that they don't know that a hardware store is not where you go shopping for clothes.
At least that what I think is supposed to be funny about it. Again, it was posted by heathme so it's predictably stupid.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Normally, I would agree with everything you just said but there’s a few things making me lean towards Utah winning by 10+. If one examines the recent season opening victories BYU has had over P5 schools, they’ll see that none of those teams ended up being very good. I’m not 100% sure Utah can live up to all of the preseason hype they’re getting but I absolutely do believe they’re one of the 2 best teams in the PAC and most likely a Top 15 team in terms of talent.

I also think if Troy Taylor was still Utah’s OC, BYU would win this game. Taylor often shoe-horned game plans to suit his pass-first mentality and was HORRIBLE at halftime adjustments. Literally, the only game in 2018 in which Utah had a strong 2nd half was the BYU game. Ludwig is more apt to search out what BYU is struggling to defend and keep going at it.

There’s only one thing that gives me a little bit of pause: Utah almost always looks average in their first 2 or 3 games. I’m banking on the Defense being good enough to carry Utah through any offensive sluggishness. I also don’t think BYU has any gamebreakers. They’ve got an awesome QB, and what I think will be a very good to great defense but I think their WR’s are MWC level players and their RB’s are unproven commodities who probably aren’t any better than some of the average RB’s Utah will face in PAC 12 play. BYU has some nice TE’s but I think Utah does too. Aside from Zach Wilson getting on a roll, I can’t really pick out a unit on BYU’s squad that’s better than Utah’s. Some will say Offensive line but I think Utah’s D-line is good enough to at least neutralize that match-up. I also think Utah’s O-Line is going to be much stronger than some are predicting.

BYU’s offensive line is very good. So is Utah’s defensive line. That is going to determine this game, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

This is obviously pretty lame and embarrassing but I’ve been surprised to see so many BYU fans posting this and mocking it. There’s about 20 years worth of BYU made internet content that’s just as cringe worthy as this- if not more so.
Definitely.

Any time Utah plays BYU, I usually look around the interwebs to find out what BYU fans are saying about the upcoming game (I do this with all of Utah’s opponents). It seems like this years go-to smack talk from a good amount of Cougar fans are what seem to be exaggerated stories about how many Ute fans are low income, alcohol consuming idiots who are poor parents, etc. It makes me chuckle because I had a former neighbor who was a BYU fan that asked to come over and watch the rivalry game with me one year. What transpired over the next 3.5 hours was some of the strangest behavior I’ve ever seen.

Maybe I over-simplify it but I think there’s plenty of dbags in both fanbases- which could also be said about any fanbase in any sport. I know Ute fans have their tendencies (such as commenting on BYU articles) that will always annoy Cougar fans. I definitely feel like BYU fans being so quick to try and paint the Utah fanbase as white trash drunks is their oldest, most time tested schtick.

I think Ute fans should just embrace the stereotype. Be like hell ya we are wild crazy drunk bearded bastards, so ****ing what?

Much like byu fans/students have embraced the stereotype of being cringey, awkward, nerdy, weird, dorks.

I feel, since the Utes are getting lots of national recognition, there's a good chance they lose against BYU. Stuff like this happens more often than not.

I feel, since the Utes are getting lots of national recognition, there's a good chance they lose against BYU. Stuff like this happens more often than not.
I feel confident in the byu offense in a vacuum. But then you have the Utah defense which will most likely negate some of the goodness of the byu offense.

I don't think the byu defense is that good. I have no idea if Utah's offense will be any good.

I like byu special teams slightly better than Utah's.

In the end I think Utah wins something like 24-20

I feel confident in the byu offense in a vacuum. But then you have the Utah defense which will most likely negate some of the goodness of the byu offense.

I don't think the byu defense is that good. I have no idea if Utah's offense will be any good.

I like byu special teams slightly better than Utah's.

In the end I think Utah wins something like 24-20

To expand a little bit on this post ..... I think byu has a very good offense. Like I could see them average 35 points per game outside of the Utah game but I just think the Utah defense is good enough to hold byu to around 20 points or so.

As for byu defense..... A few months ago I felt much better about the defense. Then this happened:

Coming into the year, this looked like one of the deepest secondaries BYU had in years. Over the course of the offseason, however, BYU has seen a lot of defections. Seniors Chris Wilcox and Troy Warner did not participate in Fall Camp and are likely to redshirt. Cornerbacks Trevion Greene and Isaiah Armstrong transferred. Austin McChesney medically retired. 2019 JUCO signee Eric Ellison won’t enroll until 2020 semester. Keenan Ellis likely won’t play due to academics. If you lost count, that’s seven guys that would have contributed in 2019.

Of those 7 guys, 6 of them are cornerbacks. Then last week another corner got hurt in camp (Isiah herron I believe) and is not listed on the 2 deep depth chart.
So that makes 7 corners not available for game 1.
Not good.

Today is my 10 year marriage anniversary.
10 years ago my wife and I were in Miami for one night and leaving on a cruise the next day.
We went to a sports bar for dinner and to watch byu play #3 ranked Oklahoma in the first football game in the new Dallas cowboys stadium. Byu pulled off some magic that night.

He we are on the night of my 10 year anniversary playing a ranked team as underdogs in a stadium that got new additions to it over the summer.

Hoping magic will happen again

Reactions: RJF
I'm watching Clemson just absolutely destroy GT right now. I know it the first game of the year but if Utah is really a top team they should be able to handle these guys tonight. Personally I'm not buying the hype just yet.

You watch BYU and their offense is creative and moving the ball. You watch Ludwig and it's the same predictable ****. I hope he proves me wrong but I think it was a typical "do as I say" hire by Whit. T