What's new

Vasectomy--having issues post surgery

Keefe

Has anyone ever had one and had any issues with it post-surgery? I was completely fine for 3.5 weeks after it. No pain. I finished (you know what I mean) a total of 18 times, 2 of which were with my wife, and I was fine. Pain free. The day after the 3rd time with my wife, I was in awful pain. Six days, later, I pleasured myself and the next day, awful pain again. I felt a lump on my left nut, and as I had thought, felt what I believed to be a sperm granuloma. I went in to the urologist yesterday and he confirmed my thoughts.

I'm nervous because because in some forums online, some men have this pain for years. One guy for 18 years. It also affects our sex life which really sucks. On the two extremely painful days, I was pretty despondent tbh. Cried the second day. And I never cry.

A sperm granuloma happens in almost all procedures so it's not uncommon and I guess whether men feel pain is based on the size of it. I'm now taking a super low dose of an antibiotic for 30 days and continuing with NSAID's and am holding out hope. Time can do wonders for the body. But at the same time, I'm nervous.

If anyone here has had the procedure and had issues, I'd be thankful for sharing your experience as well and any information you may have.

Has anyone ever had one and had any issues with it post-surgery? I was completely fine for 3.5 weeks after it. No pain. I finished (you know what I mean) a total of 18 times, 2 of which were with my wife, and I was fine. Pain free. The day after the 3rd time with my wife, I was in awful pain. Six days, later, I pleasured myself and the next day, awful pain again. I felt a lump on my left nut, and as I had thought, felt what I believed to be a sperm granuloma. I went in to the urologist yesterday and he confirmed my thoughts.

I'm nervous because because in some forums online, some men have this pain for years. One guy for 18 years. It also affects our sex life which really sucks. On the two extremely painful days, I was pretty despondent tbh. Cried the second day. And I never cry.

A sperm granuloma happens in almost all procedures so it's not uncommon and I guess whether men feel pain is based on the size of it. I'm now taking a super low dose of an antibiotic for 30 days and continuing with NSAID's and am holding out hope. Time can do wonders for the body. But at the same time, I'm nervous.

If anyone here has had the procedure and had issues, I'd be thankful for sharing your experience as well and any information you may have.

That sucks bro.
Have you tried marijuana?

I had one back a few months ago. I opted not to have surgery on my second achilles rupture, so the thought of having a vasectomy scared me. Feared all (rate) horror stories. I tend to be a non-interventionalist to a degree in a number of facets of life. Anyhow, they gave me 2 mg of Xanax and, having never had a benzo or ever drank alcohol to any significant degree in my life, I kept waiting around for it to kick in and I never felt anything. I don’t believe I was super anxious, but it was a little odd. It hurt subtly for about two weeks, like going down the stairs and such, and I was super paranoid, but that eventually went away and I haven’t noticed any problems. I think it’s been at least 6 months.

How long did you wait before you went? There doesn’t seem to be a big consensus on that.

Paging @MVP. He fixes cats and dogs all the time, and this is pretty much the same. I'm sure he can give you some pointers. You're probably licking your stitches too much.
So Wes and stitches are a thing? Not a shock.

I got the big snip ~ 20 years ago. About 15 years ago I started having significant pain in one or both *********. At it's worst, it feels like a gnome it swinging back and forth on my nuts while kicking me in the anus and SQUEEZING. My best days are kind of a dull ache, almost forgotten in the background. Basically, the doctors can't find anything wrong. The only thing that they think would help would be a radical orchidectomy, and, yeah, 99.9% of the days, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth it.

It is not, however, related to having an orgasm. Doesn't matter if I have sex or not, it's going to hurt. It actually might feel better afterwards.

It's odd to me that there hasn't been more research done on Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome. They don't even know how common it is. Somewhere between 3 and 15% of all men with vasectomys experience pain later in life.

Dang.

I had a vasectomy several years ago. I tell people that had I been knocked out for 3 days there is no way I'd know it ever happened. Really, after 3 days I was 100% and there is nothing I could think of that would differentiate my before vasectomy life with my post vasectomy life.

I hope things get better, Wes. I can't even start to understand what you're going through.

Its never too late to get it reversed if it keeps causing you pain and discomfort. We had this heated discussion before about vasectomy cons and pros... while it is quite popular in N.America, Australia and New Zealand it really has not that great of a reputation in Europe ( except UK) .
Sorry you are going through painful times Wes.

Some info to go through:

Chronic scrotal pain after vasectomy is possibly the most troublesome and vexing complication of vasectomy. Chronic pain has no association with immediate postoperative complications such as infection, or hematoma . Chronic scrotal pain, also known as post vasectomy pain syndrome, can persist for months to years, and is defined as constant or intermittent testicular pain for 3 months or longer with a severity that interferes with daily activities prompting the patient to seek medical attention . The pathophysiology leading to post vasectomy pain is unclear, and felt to be potentially related to inflammation resulting in damage and fibrosis of spermatic cord nerves . While 1–2% of patients after vasectomy experience this complication, conservative management with NSAIDS and scrotal support help avoid need for more invasive interventions. The majority of men with post vasectomy scrotal pain can be managed conservatively .
However, men with pain refractory to conservative measures may potentially benefit from surgical intervention. When pain is localized to the site of a sperm granuloma, excision of the granuloma can relieve pain and prevent recurrence . Men who experience pain with ejaculation can be offered vasectomy reversal, with upwards of 84% experiencing improvement after vasovasostomy . Conversely, if these patients desire to maintain surgical sterility, epididymectomy can be performed with good results . In patients with chronic pain not clearly confined to epididymis or granuloma, microsurgical spermatic cord denervation can be considered. These men, who previously experienced temporary pain relief from a spermatic cord block and subsequently undergo microsurgical cord denervation, experience complete pain relief in 76% of cases, and significant improvement in an additional 9% . Men who experience continued pain despite surgical measures may be best managed with referral to pain clinic for additional pain management instruction. Lastly, in men with chronic pain who fail to respond to surgical and medical intervention, inguinal orchiectomy may be required. Unfortunately, pain relief is not guaranteed, with 27% reported to have continued pain post-orchiectomy , and should only be considered as a last resort for refractory post vasectomy pain. It is the authors’ experience that much of the chronic pain is due to inflammation. Therefore, we have found it useful to have patients wear scrotal support or compression shorts for 1–2 weeks following the procedure in order to minimize pulling of the spermatic cord. This appears to have lessened the number of calls and postoperative visits. We have also stressed the need for no heavy lifting for the first 5–7 days in order to reduce the likelihood of scrotal hematoma. While this still occurs infrequently, most are small hematomas secondary to the administration of local anesthesia (rather than capillary oozing), and can be managed conservatively.

Its never too late to get it reversed if it keeps causing you pain and discomfort. We had this heated discussion before about vasectomy cons and pros... while it is quite popular in N.America, Australia and New Zealand it really has not that great of a reputation in Europe ( except UK) .
Sorry you are going through painful times Wes.

Right now, I’ll give it the six more weeks and then re-evaluate. Two possible solutions are a reversal (I’d probably wait til around 5 months thus giving it an additional two months) which seems to have a high success rate (75% within like 1-2 months iirc..could be higher percentage further out but there have been no studies on that) or to have the granuloma removed (cut out?) but that seems to be a rare procedure as I only see a couple people online mention having it done. I’d think I’m in a good region to have the latter possibly done but I’ll have to look this up. I am also going to look up if there are any urologists in state who specialize in PVPS.