Voter Suppression and Why The Republicans Love It So Much?

One Brow

Passing out water or snacks should only be happening by poll workers. If random people wearing "I Love Trump" pins were passing out water and food at the polls, I guarantee Dems would be looking to enact laws to limit that. Would be nice if the law addressed this by requiring water and snacks to be available to those waiting.
There are already laws against electioneering people waiting to vote, and there was in Georgia before the new law. I agree there should be no "I Love Biden" stickers on the people handing out such things. That said, the new law prevents a poll worker from handing out water to any individual (although they can leave unattended water stands).

Also, no one seems to point out some things in the new law that EXPAND the ability for people to vote, such as requiring that polling places have two Saturdays open for voting, with options for two Sundays as well. Saturdays were not previously required by law, and now they are. If the SOLE intent of the law was to limit voters, why was this included?
I agree that it is not the sole intent of the law to limit voters. However, all of the expanded access provisions are still curtailed compared to the level of access permitted in the 2020 elections.

AlaskanAssassin

I agree that it is not the sole intent of the law to limit voters. However, all of the expanded access provisions are still curtailed compared to the level of access permitted in the 2020 elections.
I find it strange that politicians are involved in determining who can vote and how at all. Should there be some type of non-partisan committee in each state that initiates any changes in voting requirements (ID requirements, timing, food & drink, etc.)?

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Passing out water or snacks should only be happening by poll workers. If random people wearing "I Love Trump" pins were passing out water and food at the polls, I guarantee Dems would be looking to enact laws to limit that. Would be nice if the law addressed this by requiring water and snacks to be available to those waiting.

Lol
How about just don't make people wait in line for hours to vote?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz4ever

Answer me this, if trump had won Georgia and Georgia’s two incumbent senators had won reelection, think Georgia’s legislature would’ve passed the bill that the MLB and other businesses are now protesting?

Yes they would have passed it. If mail in balloting is the future, a few more safeguards need to be in place. As for the lines, many states had them including Texas and California...that covid thing you know. Do I agree with everything 100% on the bill, no, but its preferable to a country knee high in rot and corruption. Ask the hundreds of thousands of immigrants risking their lives these past few months making the trek what is the reason they are risking their lives - their country has fallen to corruption.

Last edited:

babe

'Spouting off opposing talking points' =/= 'skeptical'.
Not sure I get your joke/comment here. Whatever.

We are a discussion board where people talk about stuff, supposedly.

I know I have an uphill battle to establish that here.

In principle, any discussion requires some very basic, foundational, principles. Freedom of speech/expression/belief/association....... stuff like that. I'm sure that list can be discussed and maybe expanded in principle.

In China, there is a sort of government-sanctioned/implemented/enforced code of "good speech".

Seriously, this forum should embrace some kind of discussion as to whether we really want that kind of a forum.

babe

Short on time here, maybe more later. I just want to clarify some of the issues I see discussed above.

MLB, and other major corporate concerns, are more influential in our society than local grocery stores/bars/gas stations/cafes/etc etc.

Back in the 60s I was seeing people discuss the rights of businesses to refuse service to blacks or coloreds. These establishments were influential in politics locally.

I have analyzed this issue and concluded that businesses that serve the public must not use their platform to distort anyone's rights. Open to the Public and businesses largely open to the public must give up their rights to use their public space to discriminate against anyone on any criteria of discrimination, even political views.

If this is not the law, it must be made the law.

It's the price businesses must pay to be in the public offering anything of value.

Probably it is more the fact that nothing has changed in the worlds of politics and commerce, but considering the British merchants/corporations;' influence in provoking the American colonists to rebellion, I really think todays international corporations are still in the same game. Owning governments/governments owning them and crapping on the competition/would-be competition.

Having those kinds of interests displace ordinary people's interests and rights.

Call it what you will. Communism is in reality a very very corrupt kind of governance where the party elites "own" everything. Fascism in various forms has always involved corporate interests having the power to treat people like trash.

The current confluence of Chinese interests/International corporate interests and political establishments, well-oiled with all kinds of payola, is as bad as anything the world has ever seen.

Last edited:

The Thriller

Yes they would have passed it. If mail in balloting is the future, a few more safeguards need to be in place. As for the lines, many states had them including Texas and California...that covid thing you know. Do I agree with everything 100% on the bill, no, but its preferable to a country knee high in rot and corruption. Ask the hundreds of thousands of immigrants risking their lives these past few months making the trek what is the reason they are risking their lives - their country has fallen to corruption.
Why do additional safeguards need to be put in place?

Bill Barr said that there wasn’t any evidence of widespread voter fraud. Do you have evidence that he was wrong?

And states like Utah have been using vote by Mail for years without any problem. Do you have evidence that there is widespread voter fraud in Utah?
Even though she shares a political party with Trump, Gardner said she’s “very frustrated with our president” and worries his comments could erode the public’s confidence in the election process when states like Utah have for years conducted vote-by-mail elections with success.

“Anytime you undermine people’s confidence in election results without fact-based data, you’re actually undermining the integrity of our elections,” Gardner said.

As other states grapple with swiftly implementing universal vote-by-mail elections amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Utah is already ahead of the game. Showing a long and proven track record that voting by mail is not fraught with fraud — and showing long-established working relationships with local postmasters — Utah’s state and local election officials are confident there will be no issues or mailing delays for the 2020 general election.

So why are additional safeguards needed? What evidence to you have of “high rot and corruption?” I don’t follow you. Is this not fact free Republican talking points @AlaskanAssassin? I don’t quite follow what @Jazz4ever is saying but it definitely seems like Republican talking points that you’d see on any bot on social media.

Lastly, I don’t understand why covid would’ve increased election lines. If anything, wouldn’t it have shortened them? I guess I don’t follow. Why not make vote by Mail universal so people can avoid lines?

I await your fact based reply.

The Thriller

I find it strange that politicians are involved in determining who can vote and how at all. Should there be some type of non-partisan committee in each state that initiates any changes in voting requirements (ID requirements, timing, food & drink, etc.)?
Good thoughts here.

Why do we allow state legislatures to draw up congressional maps? Won’t they just gerrymander them to help their own party? Some states have an independent commission drawing up the maps. HR1 would make every state delegate the drawing of congressional maps to independent commissions.
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/five-ways-hr-1-would-transform-redistricting

The Thriller

Lol
How about just don't make people wait in line for hours to vote?

What a concept!

Why not incentivize polling places to process voters faster? Why not provide more Dropboxes for the more populated areas? Why not allow for universal mail-in voting?

Why not make Election Day a holiday? Or make it over a weekend? It’s much easier to vote on a Sunday than on a Tuesday night after work.

Why not provide a universal ID for people instead of relying on a Driver’s license?

There are so many things we can do to improve our democracy. Of course, Republicans don’t want to make it easier to vote because. Well... Donald said it best:

Last edited:

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
What a concept!

Why not incentivize polling places to process voters faster? Why not provide more Dropboxes for the more populated areas? Why not allow for universal mail-in voting?

Why not make Election Day a holiday? Or make it over a weekend? It’s much easier to vote on a Sunday than on a Tuesday night after work.

Why not provide a universal ID for people instead of relying on a Driver’s license?

There are so many things we can do to improve our democracy. Of course, Republicans don’t want to make it easier to vote because. Well... Donald said it best:

I like the idea of making it a holiday. Should have happened long ago tbh.