What's new

We Are No. 27

I agree...but can Kanter play 38 mins a night? Will the Jazz let him? Even if the core 4 turn into All-Stars, if they are only playing 30 mins a night, they will lose a ton of games.

Start of the season? No he can't. I do think he will by the end of the season. Jazz start very rough. Then finish strong and the core starts to shine.

a) They're completely different players.

Bear in mind that I didn't bring up the comparison.

b) Better at what?

Scoring, consistency and general dependability, rebounding. Hayward is all over the place from game to game to the point that he can't seem to retain a role on the team. I know some people almost make a living out of excuse-making, but he hasn't been able to be relied upon for almost anything despite stretches of tremendous play in a lot of facets. Rush is strictly 3 and D (and coming of an ACL injury), Marv's ghost-like presence makes AK at his worst blush, and Jefferson hasn't been good in 4 years.

Not everything is a matter of apples and oranges. Sometimes it's okay to just say that one player is better than another, and that's not hard given the field above versus a very productive, versatile, and consistent player that happened to be the 2nd most important player on a decent team. Hopefully Hayward can be more consistent this year, and I think he can certainly be better than Harpring if he finds that.

Bear in mind that I didn't bring up the comparison.

Scoring, consistency and general dependability, rebounding. Hayward is all over the place from game to game to the point that he can't seem to retain a role on the team. I know some people almost make a living out of excuse-making, but he hasn't been able to be relied upon for almost anything despite stretches of tremendous play in a lot of facets. Rush is strictly 3 and D (and coming of an ACL injury), Marv's ghost-like presence makes AK at his worst blush, and Jefferson hasn't been good in 4 years.

Not everything is a matter of apples and oranges. Sometimes it's okay to just say that one player is better than another, and that's not hard given the field above versus a very productive, versatile, and consistent player that happened to be the 2nd most important player on a decent team.

So essentially, Harpring is superior to Hayward with consistency, rebounding, and scoring. Completely disagree in terms of scoring-- but I agree with the consistency. Well see whether giving him the reigns might change things. The rebounding doesn't irk me-- we have more than capable rebounders studded across the team to make up for it. To go further than that, i dot think it's a lack of ability-- it's more of Corbin telling Hayward to leak out after every shot because he is our best transition player/finisher.

Either way, the combination of Rush, Hayward and Jefferson should cancel out Harprings scoring contributions. Seeing as I don't really see the importance in Hayward attempting to average 7 rpg, all Harpring has over Hayward is consistency.

Which could well change within a few months.

So essentially, Harpring is superior to Hayward with consistency, rebounding, and scoring. Completely disagree in terms of scoring-- but I agree with the consistency. Well see whether giving him the reigns might change things. The rebounding doesn't irk me-- we have more than capable rebounders studded across the team to make up for it. To go further than that, i dot think it's a lack of ability-- it's more of Corbin telling Hayward to leak out after every shot because he is our best transition player/finisher.

Either way, the combination of Rush, Hayward and Jefferson should cancel out Harprings scoring contributions. Seeing as I don't really see the importance in Hayward attempting to average 7 rpg, all Harpring has over Hayward is consistency.

Which could well change within a few months.

Ps, I didn't bring up the strict player comparison either. I was comparing rotations. Playing Harp 38 mpg < our depth at the 3

a) They're completely different players-- Hayward is more of a long 2, with great passing skills, and great shooting. Harpring is more of a prototypical 3 in terms of focusing more of his attempts closer to the hoop, rebounding, higher percentage shots..

I may be wrong but how can you tell how good or different Harpring was in 2004 when you were about 10 year old kid? I am sorry if you had access to Jazz game archives and watched most of the 2004 season recently... but otherwise sorry your opinion is really based just on stats or "what she said".
It is like I would be arguing that Maravich was different or better then Dantley... I have seen neither play except from highlights so I am not discussing it. Just my 2 cents.

I may be wrong but how can you tell how good or different Harpring was in 2004 when you were about 10 year old kid? I am sorry if you had access to Jazz game archives and watched most of the 2004 season recently... but otherwise sorry your opinion is really based just on stats or "what she said".
It is like I would be arguing that Maravich was different or better then Dantley... I have seen neither play except from highlights so I am not discussing it. Just my 2 cents.

Instead of placing stupid sweeping generalizations on me (shocker) how about you go through my post and tell me where I'm wrong-- and attribute it to the fact that I'm 'too young'.

I'm more than happy to respond to critiques in my posts.

Instead of attackin his age debate him on his points.

Instead of placing stupid sweeping generalizations on me (shocker) how about you go through my post and tell me where I'm wrong-- and attribute it to the fact that I'm 'too young'.

I'm more than happy to respond to critiques in my posts.

Can you answer simple question then - how many Jazz games did you see in 2004?

Instead of attackin his age debate him on his points.

I will get to it and I am not attacking his age, just questioning his ability to proper evaluate 2004 Harpring vs Hayward or other current wings. Harpring BTW spent lots of time in the post bullying smaller SF's during 2004 which none of our current wings can do the way he did.

I will get to it and I am not attacking his age, just questioning his ability to proper evaluate 2004 Harpring vs Hayward or other current wings. Harpring BTW spent lots of time in the post bullying smaller SF's during 2004 which none of our current wings can do the way he did.

...largely made possible because he used to play football. ;-)

Can you answer simple question then - how many Jazz games did you see in 2004?

At that age, I remember watching the game the Jazz played the Lakers-- I remember my uncle (Lakers fan) wondering if Malone would play. A player on the Lakers hit a game-winner, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

EDIT: Meant to say player from Lakers

Why wouldn't you question my ability with the points I am making?

Oh right. It's easier to discredit my opinion via age, than it is to actually have intelligent discourse. But we all know who'd win if we took the second route ;)

...largely made possible because he used to play football. ;-)

Harp was called "little Jerry" for a reason by his teammates. Simple fact - dalamon, did you know that Harp was squatting more then Malone during their time together on the Jazz? He was one tough SOB before injuries derailed him. That's one huge thing which separates 2004 Hayward from Hayward at this point.

At that age, I remember watching the game the Jazz played the Lakers-- I remember my uncle (Lakers fan) wondering if Malone would play. A player on the Jazz hit a game-winner, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Did a quick google search. It was Devean George, and there's a video of it on YouTube. I might have seen a couple more, but I can't say I was actively scouting Harpring at a young age-- but I still remember his style of play, and there's plenty of highlights of him hanging around otherwise.

Regardless, please point out any of my observations which are incorrect

Harp was called "little Jerry" for a reason by his teammates. Simple fact - dalamon, did you know that Harp was squatting more then Malone during their time together on the Jazz? He was one tough SOB before injuries derailed him. That's one huge thing which separates 2004 Hayward from Hayward at this point.

I already addressed that they were completely different players. No where did I discredit Harprings strength, nor did I place Hayward's ahead of Harprings.

However, if sheer strength should be the sole determiner in which player is better, then I completely disagree with you

Harpring is better because he squats?

Did YOU watch any game in 2004? Even if you did, you currently aren't using any arguments about how he played that year if all you're saying is that he squats and is tough. Harpring likely did squats and was tough his last year in the league.

At that age, I remember watching the game the Jazz played the Lakers-- I remember my uncle (Lakers fan) wondering if Malone would play. A player on the Jazz hit a game-winner, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Are you talking about the game where Shaq got ejected after elbowing AK?