What Became of Player Development?

homeytennis

RJ is breaking out and randle is having a career year. Don’t know how much of it is attributable to Johnny but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stars had a player (Yogi) just sign a rest of the season contract with the Clips yesterday. Everyone's fav RHJ also signed a rest of the season contract with the Blazers.

jom2003

Part of the answer is the management went all in on Conley and the cap space he took with him. I realize there has been bad luck with Dok but Hughes picture is on the back of a milk carton as is Oni and Brantley's right now. I shudder to think if Rudy went down.
That is not part of the answer. That is part of the *reason why we need player development in the first place because that is how you get decent players without paying the big buck. We spent it all on Conley so we desperately need the likes of Oni, Brantley, Hughes, Dok to turn into something. Teams with money to spend like the Lakers can afford to disband their player development entirely. Not us.

homeytennis

That is not part of the answer. That is part of the *reason why we need player development in the first place because that is how you get decent players without paying the big buck. We spent it all on Conley so we desperately need the likes of Oni, Brantley, Hughes, Dok to turn into something. Teams with money to spend like the Lakers can afford to disband their player development entirely. Not us.
Our history with two way players is sad. Nate Wolters, Eric Griffin, Eric McCree, Naz. JWF. Bolomboy, Ty Wallace, Tyler Cavanaugh, NWG and Marcus Paige. You would think we would have hit on a higher percentage. I guess Niang and Royce will be it.

Release the Kraken

Undrafted players who have been development successes, last five years:

- Ingles
- O'Neale
- Niang (and I thought I'd never say that as recently as six months ago)

Brantley looks promising, too.
As far as Ingles, O'Neale and Niang, these are guys that just fell into our lap. Not a lot of player development was necessary as they all had skills.

Mak47

Shaquille scored 11 points yesterday against the Raptors.
I still can't believe we gave away Shaquille Harrison to keep Forrest.

homeytennis

Shaquille scored 11 points yesterday against the Raptors.
I still can't believe we gave away Shaquille Harrison to keep Forrest.
Quin is a funny guy. He cut NWG right after he had 15 points and was +9 in a quarter vs. the Suns. Shaq never had a run for us.

jom2003

Our history with two way players is sad. Nate Wolters, Eric Griffin, Eric McCree, Naz. JWF. Bolomboy, Ty Wallace, Tyler Cavanaugh, NWG and Marcus Paige. You would think we would have hit on a higher percentage. I guess Niang and Royce will be it.
It's not "hovering around for 40-50 wins every year and exiting in the first/second round" we are talking about. We are talking about competing for a championship. And for that we will need more from everyone, including the player development.

There were games like the one in Philly, in LA, and in Minny when we were just one stop away from grinding out the W, instead we collapsed in the worst way simply because Royce alone isn't enough to get the job done. We desperately need more alternatives to Royce in crucial defensive possession and we need it bad.

KqWIN

Yeah, this is one of the complaints I don’t get. This team was built almost entirely on the margins and was heavily reliant on player development. Plenty of things to complain about as far as the FO, but hard to be upset with the results. It sucks that Jack Cooley never developed into a star but the team is still sitting at the top of the league despite that.